Time for the US to abolish the Death Penalty

90% of the world no longer uses the Death Penalty

The US is among a lustrious group that continues to execute prisoners. That group includes China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia......Something all Americans can be proud of

Use of capital punishment by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So lets play your stupid game shall we? Lets say we have a lifer with no parole and he decides since we cant put him to death he will just kill guards and other inmates. What then?

A state has the right to deem criminals unworthy of life. And comparing the US Justice system to the Countries you just did is ignorant pathetic and amazingly stupid.

So your stupid game is that the 90% of countries and almost half of US states have an epidemic of lifers killing guards and other inmates

I'm sure you have the numbers to back it up

Other than China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia.....which countries should I be comparing the US to? They, along with the US are the major perpetrators of the death penalty

Shouldn't we be judged by the company we keep?

Irrelevant

The US is among a lustrious group that continues to execute prisoners. That group includes China, Iran, Iraq, N Korea and Saudi Arabia......Something all Americans can be proud of

Again, irrelevant.

The only problem with the death penalty is that we don't use it nearly enough.

I think that's a bad idea. In fact, I propose that we not only continue the death penalty, but that we expand it's current usage. I think that instead of trying to ban weapons, we use the death penalty as a discouragement to those who would shoot up classrooms, movie theaters, churches, etc..
When a person who does such a thing, or even if we find a person who we can prove is planning such an action, we should take him and his evidence to a judge who will summarily try and convict him and sentence him to death. That execution should take place on the same day as his conviction. Walk the guy out of the jail and up a gallows right there on the courthouse grounds, put his neck in a noose and drop him like a sack of potatoes. Let him hang there overnight and his relatives can claim the body the next day and take it for burial. That will be the end of him, but will also serve as notice to others who might be planning to kill innocent people.

My point is simple, and it goes to the discussion of banning firearms. You will never be able to confiscate the hundreds of millions of firearms that are in the hands of both criminals and law-abiding citizens. But you can show everyone what awaits those who use those firearms to commit mass murder. If you want to stop the killings, you have to make the punishment so 'over the top' and so distasteful that no one in their right mind would dare commit a crime that demands that punishment.

Last edited:
I think that's a bad idea. In fact, I propose that we not only continue the death penalty, but that we expand it's current usage. I think that instead of trying to ban weapons, we use the death penalty as a discouragement to those who would shoot up classrooms, movie theaters, churches, etc..
When a person who does such a thing, or even if we find a person who we can prove is planning such an action, we should take him and his evidence to a judge who will summarily try and convict him and sentence him to death. That execution should take place on the same day as his conviction. Walk the guy out of the jail and up a gallows right there on the courthouse grounds, put his neck in a noose and drop him like a sack of potatoes. Let him hang there overnight and his relatives can claim the body the next day and take it for burial. That will be the end of him, but will also serve as notice to others who might be planning to kill innocent people.

My point is simple, and it goes to the discussion of banning firearms. You will never be able to confiscate the hundreds of millions of firearms that are in the hands of both criminals and law-abiding citizens. But you can show everyone what awaits those who use those firearms to commit mass murder. If you want to stop the killings, you have to make the punishment so 'over the top' and so distasteful that no one in their right mind would dare commit a crime that demands that punishment.

If the death penalty is such a deterrent to murders, why does the US have such a high murder rate when compared to other countries?

I would lose no sleep if the States all outlawed the death penalty. On the other hand, there are some cases where I think it is perfectly appropriate and where, if it gets effected, I would also lose no sleep.

Despite rightwinger's attempt to dismiss what retiredSgt said, the point is actually a good one.

If a convict gets sentenced to consecutive life sentences all with no possibility of parole and then kills a fellow inmate or prison guard, what happens to him? HE gets ANTOHER sentence of life with no possibility of parole.

Oh.

That ought to deter him.

On the other hand, if you put him down like a dangerous dog under those circumstances, he gets to hurt or kill nobody else down the road.

If the death penalty is such a deterrent to murders, why does the US have such a high murder rate when compared to other countries?

Because as a general rule, prisoners who have been sentenced to die get to lounge around in our prisons for upwards of 25-30 years before the sentence is carried out. During that time not only do they get '3 hots and a cot', they get the usage of all the prisons' facilities, including schooling where they get to earn law degrees and the libraries where they learn the 'ins and outs' of the laws that put them there in the first place. They get to bring up one appeal after another to keep from facing their ultimate punishment.
If the death penalty were carried out in a short time span then we wouldn't have that problem. We sure wouldn't be paying for their upkeep for all those years, which btw costs the taxpayers of this country.

If you do away with the death penalty, and considering how much longer those inmates might live, then you're just adding that many more years to the cost of feeding, housing, clothing and supporting them.
Greatly reduce the time span between conviction and execution and you're saving tons and tons of money, emptying out the cells in a big hurry and creating a huge detriment to anyone thinking of committing a crime where the death penalty might be a punishment. That's a win-win scenario all the way around.

Last edited:
I would lose no sleep if the States all outlawed the death penalty. On the other hand, there are some cases where I think it is perfectly appropriate and where, if it gets effected, I would also lose no sleep.

Despite rightwinger's attempt to dismiss what retiredSgt said, the point is actually a good one.

If a convict gets sentenced to consecutive life sentences all with no possibility of parole and then kills a fellow inmate or prison guard, what happens to him? HE gets ANTOHER sentence of life with no possibility of parole.

Oh.

That ought to deter him.

On the other hand, if you put him down like a dangerous dog under those circumstances, he gets to hurt or kill nobody else down the road.

And if a prisoner with a death sentence who has nothing to lose kills another inmate or guard?

Oh.

That ought to deter him.

And if a prisoner with a death sentence who has nothing to lose kills another inmate or guard?

Isolation until he gets executed?

Or maybe they can off him twice?

Nah.

There is room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill
A working class hero is something to be
(John Lennon)
Who among us hasn't wanted to be
An executioner working for free?
A working class killer just like on TV

We shouldn't ban something just to be like other countries.

We said the same thing about slavery

We were one of the last nations to abolish that too

^ bullshit. WHO exactly said "we shouldn't abolish slavery just because other countries have abolished slavery"?

please, you libs are still bitching about corporate slaves. make up your minds

Like it or not, Capital Punishment is considered to be barbaric in most of the civilized world. The fact that only countries like China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iraq believe in eye for an eye retribution says a lot about our morals

Even in the US 18 states have abolished the death penalty and most of our executions occur in Texas and Oklahoma. The remaining executions are distributed in what is affectionately known as Bible Belt states.

Executions are an archaic practice that do not reflect well on a great country

Like it or not, Capital Punishment is considered to be barbaric in most of the civilized world. The fact that only countries like China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iraq believe in eye for an eye retribution says a lot about our morals

Even in the US 18 states have abolished the death penalty and most of our executions occur in Texas and Oklahoma. The remaining executions are distributed in what is affectionately known as Bible Belt states.

Executions are an archaic practice that do not reflect well on a great country

then again, they don't have out of control crime like we do

Forum List

Back