Tiger Woods is getting OLD - mid 30s

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
That is the main reason for his "bad golf" and much improved cometiotion from when he ran roughrod in his younger days

No freaking way he comes close to Nicklauses 18 majors

Woods ran roughsod overweak competion in his a younger days

Nicklaus had to contend with Palmer , Player , Tom Watson, Johnny Miller Weiskopg, Greg Norman , Seve Ballesesterous about 20 others

Saw him play at Bay Hill the other week, and I don't think it's his age. I think he's not there mentally to be at the best of his game. The people I was with and myself noticed he didn't smile once the whole time (we shadowed him the back nine). He just seemed miserable, and still a little bit ashamed the whole time, it was awkward.

Plus Mickelson is 4-5 years older than Tiger-and he's doing great.

edit: but I do agree he's never had the competition like the others you listed did, especially in his earlier years.

Last edited:
Nicklaus had to contend with guys like Johnny Miller and Tom Watson .......................

Now I'm not a Tiger fan, but let's not take anything away from the guy.

-He holds the record for the best (par) score at ALL 4 major championships:

Masters: -18
PGA: -18
British Open: -19
US Open: -12

-Tiger is already close enough to reach, or break18 majors (he has 14).

-Tiger's the first person since Hogan (in 53) to win 3 majors in one year, and one of just 3 people to ever accomplish this.

I think the reason why Tiger is so great isn't because he hasn't had the competition, it's because he makes his competition look like nothing.

Nicklaus had to contend with guys like Johnny Miller and Tom Watson .......................

Nicklaus also played a much heavier schedule, only flying a private jet later in his career. He also used shit equipment, even for that era. He used a MacGregor Tourney golf ball, total crap. The greens were like the fairways of today. With all this, Nicklaus didn't just win 18 Majors, he placed second in 19!

I've said it before, bring any of the top players from long ago to this day, in their prime and it would be very difficult for most of the players to come close to them. Do the opposite and most of the spoiled shits out there today wouldn't qualify to be on tour.

Nicklaus also played a much heavier schedule, only flying a private jet later in his career. He also used shit equipment, even for that era. He used a MacGregor Tourney golf ball, total crap. The greens were like the fairways of today. With all this, Nicklaus didn't just win 18 Majors, he placed second in 19!

I've said it before, bring any of the top players from long ago to this day, in their prime and it would be very difficult for most of the players to come close to them. Do the opposite and most of the spoiled shits out there today wouldn't qualify to be on tour.

It is hard to compare athletes in any sport between different eras. One common thread, regardless of the sport is that athletes of today are superior to athletes of thirty years ago. No matter what the sport, it is not even close

Comes down to training, strength, equipment as well as genetics. Athletes today are bigger, stronger and smarter than athletes of 30 years ago

Woods made a charge in the Masters - to his credit - but the winner was SOMEBODY I NEVER HEARD OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guess is Woods wins 2 more majors and ends up with 16.

Last edited:
Woods "charge" fizzled out going into the back nine where anything can happen on Sunday at The Masters. The fact that he didn't take advantage of the 2 par fives and bogeyed twelve gave him little chance to win. Woods biggest advantage wasn't his swing or how far he hit it, it was his mind and the intimidation factor he brought with him to the few tournaments he plays in. He lost that and will never have it again with the new crop of young players that were raised with the latest equipment to suck on as pacifiers when they were babies.

With the money he has, he doesn't have the drive to make it that he had before. I think it will probably get worse, the reports are that she is dating a South African..... he will have to wonder about his kids being around whomever she is with.
He is an emotional child now, dating a 22 year old. He clearly doesn't appreciate how lucky he is to have the career he has.

Michelson, on the other hand, seems to be thinking........ I fly around in my own Gulfstream from tournament to tournament, have my ass kissed wherever I go, I have a beautiful, devoted wife and kids..... I PLAY GOLF ON THE FINEST GOLF COURSES IN THE WORLD FOR A LIVING! No wonder he has that shit eating grin on his face all of the time.:lol:

Woods "charge" fizzled out going into the back nine where anything can happen on Sunday at The Masters. The fact that he didn't take advantage of the 2 par fives and bogeyed twelve gave him little chance to win. Woods biggest advantage wasn't his swing or how far he hit it, it was his mind and the intimidation factor he brought with him to the few tournaments he plays in. He lost that and will never have it again with the new crop of young players that were raised with the latest equipment to suck on as pacifiers when they were babies.

With the money he has, he doesn't have the drive to make it that he had before. I think it will probably get worse, the reports are that she is dating a South African..... he will have to wonder about his kids being around whomever she is with.
He is an emotional child now, dating a 22 year old. He clearly doesn't appreciate how lucky he is to have the career he has.

Michelson, on the other hand, seems to be thinking........ I fly around in my own Gulfstream from tournament to tournament, have my ass kissed wherever I go, I have a beautiful, devoted wife and kids..... I PLAY GOLF ON THE FINEST GOLF COURSES IN THE WORLD FOR A LIVING! No wonder he has that shit eating grin on his face all of the time.:lol:

I see tiger won another major/masters today.

Hope that ruins your day.

And who is this mikalshon or mackelson guy you speak of?

does he play golf?

Saw him play at Bay Hill the other week, and I don't think it's his age. I think he's not there mentally to be at the best of his game. The people I was with and myself noticed he didn't smile once the whole time (we shadowed him the back nine). He just seemed miserable, and still a little bit ashamed the whole time, it was awkward.

Plus Mickelson is 4-5 years older than Tiger-and he's doing great.

edit: but I do agree he's never had the competition like the others you listed did, especially in his earlier years.

Just to play devil's advocate and because I'm curious, is it now instead of being a handful of a elite golfers, there are dozens makes it seem that the competition has dropped when actually it's increased?

Where the best players can come from anywhere in the world, any race etc...

Where there's more golf courses, more ability to play for younger golfers, more tours to try and make a living at it professionally, expanding heavily in Asia for example, more ability to get customized equipment which fits a players play, meaning more chances for talent to make it to the PGA, and thus more elite talents vying for wins and spreading those wins over a wider range of players.

Another about the difficulty of reaching that career mark is how golf really is becoming a sport where strength training is more key. take Phil Mickelson for example. That guy definitely doesn't miss leg day. Where a players physical shape is becoming more important, which with age becomes tougher to overcome.

Tiger isn't in his mid 30s; he's 43 years old.

Tiger isn't in his mid 30s; he's 43 years old.
This thread is 8 years old... some of these people have been holding on tight!

Oy - don't they have better things to do than kicking up 8 year old threads?

It is kinda funny how 8 years after "he's getting old", he's winning another Masters.

I remember being in college when he was first making a name for himself and my roomate played on the golf team. Best golfer I'd ever played with (not that I play much or know many good ones).. Anyways, his belief was while Tiger might become the most talented, he had said how he balls up all that torque in his body for his swing will probably cause him to overstress his back and knees later in life.

Forum List

Back