Three strikes and you're out.

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by manifold, Mar 5, 2008.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,920
    Is there anyone left that still thinks the three strike laws were a good idea?

Is minimum mandatory sentencing of any kind really a good idea?

Why bother having judges at all if we're not going to allow them to judge?

Any thoughts?

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Bad, bad idea. Really stupid idea. Populist politics at its worst.

It was tried in the Northern Territory jurisdiction in Australia, it failed miserably and produced spectacularly bad situations, so bad the even though a bunch of populist politicians had passed it thinking it would enhance their opportunities t getting back into government, public reaction was so negative that they lost the following election.

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,920

I agree. Terrible idea.

We place our trust in a justice system to determine guilt and innocence. I don't know why then it's not sufficient to also trust judges to exercise sound judgement and hand out just sentences. To try to apply black and white rules to matters of such nuance and subjectivity is to try to dehumanize the process.

4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,879
    Excellent point.

None of the emoticons were expressive enough to express my feelings on reading that sentence.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I'm not soft on crime, but it's a pretty dumb idea. Ditto for sex offender identification... it makes soccer moms feel good, but legislation-by-talk-radio ain't a great idea. Knock off the gimmicks.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010

The current ignorant laws on sex offenders is in my opinion totally unconstitutional. It places a life long punishment on these people WITHOUT actually legally doing so. Our system is simple, you go to jail and serve your time, when your time is up you return to society ( parole is a little differnt, but it still has a time limit) These people never finish their time.

They are prevented from even LIVING in society. No city and no State has the right to bar them from living and working where they want. It violates the 4th and 8th Amendments.

IF these people are a threat to society pass a law to imprison them for an appropriate length of time, life without parole for example. Punishing them by denying them the right to live anywhere is unconstitutional. THAT is CRUEL and UNUSUAL punishment. Forcing them to be publically identified everywhere they go for the rest of their lives is also CRUEL and UNUSUAL. Further it punishes any family they have also, which is also against the Constitution. If they own land it prevents them from living on it if inside a city. A clear violation of the 4th Amendment.

Once again if they are a danger pass a damn law to keep them in jail or a hospital.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Of course there should be mandatory minimums. Judges need parameters too. There have been to many idiotic rulings where there are none to not have them.

People should be held accountable for their crimes. IMO, the reason we have as much lawlessness as we do is because crime DOES pay.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,010
    Three strikes and your out is NOT right. It lumps anything and everything into the pot. It ties judges hands and it ties juries hands as well. No problem with minimum required sentences when someone is convicted of a crime, I am opposed to saying " ohh he gets life cause he did something before" I am also opposed to no tolerance laws they are ignorant and only exist because people are to damn lazy.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I didn't address the three strikes laws, only mandatory minimums.

I would think three strikes for the same or similar crimes would be more than fair. How many chances should one get to prove they are untrainable?

Not sure I feel the same about unrelated crimes though. That would be dependent on what those crimes were, IMO.

If judges could be trusted to do what they are supposed to do, such laws wouldn't exist.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,879
    And there have been too many harsh sentences for first offenses that result in turning offenders into career criminals.