Three Christian girls Beheaded in Indonesia

Max Power said:
"Kill them all. God will know his own."
-Pope Innocent III

Max, Max, Max. Shame on you.

Pope Innocent III didn't say that.

Arnaud Amaury, Abbot of Cîteaux, was appointed as military leader of the crusaders during the first stages of the war in 1209. This was a perfectly normal occurance at this time, but Arnaud's love of terror and killing was perhaps above average, even for a senior churchman. It was he who was responsible for the mass burning alive of "many heretics and many fair women" at Casseneuil", for the massacre at Béziers, where some 20,000 men, women and children were killed in an "exercise of christian charity", and for the immortal words "Kill them all. God will know his own". He was also responsible for the siege of Carcassonne, and for the shamefull siezure of Raymond-Roger Trencavel, Viscount of Carcassonne, Béziers, Albi and the Razès during a truce - leading to the fall of Carcassonne.

http://www.languedoc-france.info/120502_arnaud.htm

Kathianne said:
I agree, but the person to whom you are trying to converse with has his own agenda. Save your fingers from keyboarding.

So we must confront him with ours doubly then.

Max Power said:
"More people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason"
-George Carlin

Okay, so it's not a scientific source... but I'd bet it's true. Organized religion, in general, is barbaric.

I.

Really?

Stalin 20 MILLION
Hitler 12 MILLION
Pol Pot 3 Million
It is now becoming documented that Mao will surpass all of them for murdering his own people.

NONE of these were done in the name of organized religion. My count is up to about 50 MILLION there. Now, please start with your list of religious atrocities, and then I will continue to work on mine, IDI Amin,,,

LuvRPgrl said:
Really?

Stalin 20 MILLION
Hitler 12 MILLION
Pol Pot 3 Million
It is now becoming documented that Mao will surpass all of them for murdering his own people.

NONE of these were done in the name of organized religion. My count is up to about 50 MILLION there. Now, please start with your list of religious atrocities, and then I will continue to work on mine, IDI Amin,,,

hitler killed jews

stalin killed christians and outlawed the church

pol pot don't know.....but communisim kills those that belive in religion

christian crusades killed millions

muslim crusades killed millions

roman's killed millons that opposed roman gods

multiple african genocide killed millions based on religion

i would bet it is a draw

manu1959 said:
hitler killed jews

stalin killed christians and outlawed the church

pol pot don't know.....but communisim kills those that belive in religion

christian crusades killed millions

muslim crusades killed millions

roman's killed millons that opposed roman gods

multiple african genocide killed millions based on religion

i would bet it is a draw

Organized religion has brought alot of civility to otherwise barbaric and savage cultures. True, it has also added to barbarism and savagery, but if one were to do a total body count

organized religion wouldnt even come close to the murders by leaders for non religous reasons.

While it can be argued that much of the power struggle of the crusades was really politicians and leaders who "used" the church for their own personal gain, and that even many in the church, Bishops, etc. were not "truly" religous men. But, in any event, lets, for arguements and simplicity sake, include ALL the deaths in the crusades

Of course estimates vary, but a good median is around 1.5 million total deaths in the crusades, http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat0.htm#European

Now, the Romans did not kill in the name of religion, but they killed in the name of conquest. But if you included that, and the African deaths, the total still wouldnt reach what Stalin alone did.

Pol Pot and Mao Tse Tung Spelling? killed anyone who was a threat to their posistion of power, or a perceived threat.

Anywho, the numbers are not even comparable, mass murderers of the non religious factions outnumber organized religion easily 5-1.

Forum List

Back