Heaven help the French..

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
November 06, 2005 This article was at powerline.com
Heaven help the French; they can't help themselves

I haven't written about the Paris (and now perhaps French) intifada, partly because I've been too busy and partly because it's so sad. I've been saying since the early days of Power Line that France is done-for, but seeing this evidence of the phenomenon is much more harrowing than contemplating the concept. Despite my frequent and harsh criticism of France and the French (too frequent and harsh to suit my French wife), I love the city of Paris and some aspects of French culture. The demise of that city and that culture, for all the faults of both, is tragic.

The riots in themselves signal no such demise. We had our race riots in the late 1960s. But these riots are fundamentally different. Although our rioters had reason to hate America, deep-down they didn't. Our riots came at the tail end of the great and peaceful civil rights revolution. By the time they occurred, Congress had already passed the legislation that would vastly diminish the injustices that sparked them. The movement that Martin Luther King led was profoundly pro-American. It challenged America to live up to its creed. The rioters were kids who, to the extent they claimed to be separatists, were fooling themselves and no one else. It was their impatience with the pace of integration which caused them to embrace the shock rhetoric of extreme black nationalism.

As far as I can tell, the situation in France today is nothing like that. These riots are not the tail-end of a peaceful, pro-French civil rights movement. They are a manifestation of raw hatred of France. The anti-French rhetoric is not the result of youthful hot-headedness or a desire to shock the French into living up to their creed (if what France stands for can be called that). It is, at least in part, the product of a religion with its own diametrically opposite creed. The leaders of the movement behind the riots aren't demanding that the French embrace them. Their objective is to transform France into an Islamic state. The intention is not to do away with the vestiges of slavery. At best, it is to preserve their ability to act outside of the constraints of law and western civilization. At worst, it is to terrorize the French until they convert to Islam, and to enslave those who don't convert.

France's situation may not be hopeless, but it's not easy to see the way out. The best hope may be that the U.S. succeeds in its efforts to transform the Middle East to the point that Muslims perceive themselves as having a stake in the democratic project (as American blacks did) and in the global economy. Ironically, France has done just about everything it can to undermine this effort by the U.S.

These riots have all the signs of the beginning of another French Revolution. We can only hope that they stand firm, but there is little past evidence that shows that they will...

no1tovote4 said:
These riots have all the signs of the beginning of another French Revolution. We can only hope that they stand firm, but there is little past evidence that shows that they will...
But it's not only France. Also Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden. It's not a revolution against a government, but something else. Were they ghettoized? Surely. Is that the cause, I don't think so.

More likely, they have been radicalized by the Mosques/Imams.

Kathianne said:
But it's not only France. Also Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden. It's not a revolution against a government, but something else. Were they ghettoized? Surely. Is that the cause, I don't think so.

I read an article where they had chosen to be isolated as they didn't want the culture to infiltrate the religious beliefs of their children. The idea that the French isolated them purposefully may be an incorrect assumption and they may have self-isolated and thus 'ghettoized' themselves.

no1tovote4 said:
I read an article where they had chosen to be isolated as they didn't want the culture to infiltrate the religious beliefs of their children. The idea that the French isolated them purposefully may be an incorrect assumption and they may have self-isolated and thus 'ghettoized' themselves.

Europe has done this with immigrants for like ever. Nevertheless, I'm sure you are correct about choice of segregation. Immigrants here too often wish to stay 'localized' in big cities, where there can be their language, newspapers, culture, etc. Yet the ability to get ahead has always driven the young towards assimilation. In Europe today, there is little hope of a job, especially for the 'foreigners.'

no1tovote4 said:

To a certain extent, I do agree that they do have a pattern of isolating themselves wiithin new societies they enter. This isn't unusal, we see it everywhere "Little Italy" and "China Town" etc but I think what makes first generations Muslims somewhat unique is the desire to keep themselves and their children isolated. Other cultures seem to encourage their children to assimilate and adapt so they can succeed in ways their parents can't because of language difficulties and difficluty adapting.

Said1 said:
To a certain extent, I do agree that they do have a pattern of isolating themselves wiithin new societies they enter. This isn't unusal, we see it everywhere "Little Italy" and "China Town" etc but I think what makes first generations Muslims somewhat unique is the desire to keep themselves and their children isolated. Other cultures seem to encourage their children to assimilate and adapt so they can succeed in ways their parents can't because of language difficulties and difficluty adapting.

Well said, Said.

Kathianne said:

Absolutely K!! This is just the beginning. Amazing how the French believed if they stayed neutral in the WOT somehow they would escape terrorism. I hope this serves as their wakeup call.

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2005/10/death-of-immigrants-spark-riots-in.html

Forum List

Back