Thousands of ultra-Orthodox protest in Israel

dvinman

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2009
JERUSALEM – Tens of thousands of black-clad ultra-Orthodox Jews staged mass demonstrations on Thursday to protest a Supreme Court ruling forcing the integration of a religious girls' school.

Protesters snarled traffic in Jerusalem and another large religious enclave, crowded onto balconies in crowded city squares, and waved posters decrying the court's decision and proclaiming the supremacy of religious law. There were no reports of violence.

The showdown shined a spotlight on a wide array of social issues Israel has been grappling with for years, including discrimination inside the Jewish community, the disproportionate clout of the country's ultra-Orthodox minority and the precarious state of the country's education system.

Parents of European, or Ashkenazi, descent at a girls' school in the West Bank settlement of Emanuel don't want their children to study with schoolgirls of Mideast and North African descent, known as Sephardim.

The Ashkenazi parents insist they aren't racist, but want to keep the classrooms segregated, as they have been for years, arguing that the families of the Sephardi girls aren't religious enough.

LOL! "The Ashkenazi parents insist they aren't racist, but want to keep the classrooms segregated?" Hmmm, if us White people did this, I guarantee it would get National Attention as being RACIST! It seems the word "RACIST" was invented for Whites only. :eusa_whistle:

Thousands of ultra-Orthodox protest in Israel - Yahoo! News

Last edited:
The Ashkenazi parents insist they aren't racist, but want to keep the classrooms segregated, as they have been for years, arguing that the families of the Sephardi girls aren't religious enough.
Separdi girls are easy?

Sephardi girls are easy?

I'm sure Cmike will come along any moment now and insist that this isn't a matter of racism in jewish culture at all.. Noooo no.. Right before cutting and pasting some silly batch of crafted words from the jewish virtual library sans link. It's a good thing jews are genetically impervious to racism! Must be nice being all chosen like that.

:lol:

Its a problem. It is a democracy. Things are weird, but they shake out.

The diaspora is coming together from all over the place, and there are huge culture clashes. This is a problem the US faced too.

but they are working on it.

As opposed to what is going on in much of the world, where things are moving backward

Its a problem. It is a democracy. Things are weird, but they shake out.

The diaspora is coming together from all over the place, and there are huge culture clashes. This is a problem the US faced too.

but they are working on it.

As opposed to what is going on in much of the world, where things are moving backward

yea, and what was OUR resolution to similar problems? It sure as FUCK wasn't validating some boogity boogity set of religious laws superseding secular laws.

But tell me, you silly bitch... The article mentions ROCKS being thrown... wanna bet that the state of israel doesn't react to THESE ROCKS with beanbag shotguns and flash bombs? Funny the difference, eh?

you fucking shill.

LOL! "The Ashkenazi parents insist they aren't racist, but want to keep the classrooms segregated?" Hmmm, if us White people did this, I guarantee it would get National Attention as being RACIST! It seems the word "RACIST" was invented for Whites only. :eusa_whistle:

Do you really think the Ashkenazi parents are not white? Or do you think no one is calling them racist?

Fights within a Religion are often worse than ones between two different ones. Look at the lovefest between Shia and Sunni and the fact some hardcore protestants still use the term Papists.

Fights within a Religion are often worse than ones between two different ones. Look at the lovefest between Shia and Sunni and the fact some hardcore protestants still use the term Papists.

the difference being, of course, people like baruch won't hesitate to demonize muslim clashes while...

the difference being, of course, people like baruch won't hesitate to demonize muslim clashes while...

this is a democracy shaking things out.

turkey has issues, as does Tunisia. There are periodic loud bangs and crashes as democratic state deal with religious issues. Northern Ireland is no wonderful place either.

this is a democracy shaking things out.

turkey has issues, as does Tunisia. There are periodic loud bangs and crashes as democratic state deal with religious issues. Northern Ireland is no wonderful place either.

coincidentally, you use your soft glove on rioting jews when we've seen you call for lethal solutions to "shake outs" involving muslims.

but, alas, NOW it's just no big deal.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

nice sense of consistency you have. bravo.

:clap2:

what a beautiful place earth will be once people wise up and religion leaves

My issue with mid east matters is not over religion. I am not jewish, and I find the activity of the Haredi here outrageous and stupid.

My issue here is democracy vs dictatorship. From my perspective the position of the Palestinians is disingenuous and their goals dishonest. Israel is a functioning democracy, which means we should support it. It is the only one in the area.

The news here is that a bunch of folks protested over a court decision. Happens here all the time. Sometimes protesters go nuts and get violent. They go to jail. That also happens all the time.

I don't support violence by idiots, and the civil authority of a democratic society must be maintained no matter who you are.

I also don't support excessive force by the cops. And cops can be stupid too.

What we saw here was a huge protest that the cops dealt with in a civil and restrained manner, and the idiots who were excessively violent are either in cells now, or out on bail. They have court dates and they may be facing jail time.

Jewish or Shinto or Baptist doesn't matter here.

Forum List

Back