This is why some Police have a No Pursuit Policy in some cases

Weird, don't they have devices that can detect an oncoming police car and change the traffic lights accordingly?

I don't believe the woman should be allowed to sue the city though.

As for police pursuits,, should only happen if the person presents an immediate danger to society.

They gave the guy a citation for not safely approaching the intersection. Thats kind of an admission right there

Oh , I quite agree the police officer is at fault for the accident. I simply don't believe the city should be liable in a lawsuit.

I mean in general I'm opposed to such lawsuits anyway, but in cases like this, doubly so. since thousand of citizens who had nothing to do with this accident will have to pay this woman if she wins.

Troopers said Officer Chris Bonner blew through a red light last Thursday while chasing two armed suspects.

Woman injured in crash with Ocoee police officer speaks with WESH 2 News

Cops get a free pass in almost all cases, whether they're right or wrong. The woman was driving legally, didn't run a red light, and was following the normal flow of traffic. The cop was driving as cops normal do, like they own the roads and can do as they damn well please. When it comes to cops, every single citizen can claim that they fear for their safety, or fear for their life. But, the courts only accept such a defense from cops. Go figure.

For the most part, COPS are low-life assholes.

They gave the guy a citation for not safely approaching the intersection. Thats kind of an admission right there

Oh , I quite agree the police officer is at fault for the accident. I simply don't believe the city should be liable in a lawsuit.

I mean in general I'm opposed to such lawsuits anyway, but in cases like this, doubly so. since thousand of citizens who had nothing to do with this accident will have to pay this woman if she wins.
So she should be left with the shit end of the stick? Was at fault at all the police are liable .

Troopers said Officer Chris Bonner blew through a red light last Thursday while chasing two armed suspects.

Reminds me of those idiots in Stockton CA that killed some hostages pursuing some criminals. Blatant disregard for life.

Family of slain Stockton bank robbery hostage files claim against city

"Stockton police fired more than 600 rounds at the car during the chase and struck Holt-Singh 10 times. Authorities said Holt-Singh was used as a human shield during the ensuing shootout, which left two of the three bank robbers also dead."

So she should be left with the shit end of the stick? Was at fault at all the police are liable .

No, the city should have to pay her medical bills and a fair amount for pain and suffering, and I'm sure they have insurance to cover that. But a lawsuit would demand monies in excess of what an insurance would pay.

Cops get a free pass in almost all cases, whether they're right or wrong. The woman was driving legally, didn't run a red light, and was following the normal flow of traffic. The cop was driving as cops normal do, like they own the roads and can do as they damn well please. When it comes to cops, every single citizen can claim that they fear for their safety, or fear for their life. But, the courts only accept such a defense from cops. Go figure.

Aren't we "legally" supposed to pull over and wait when we hear a siren nearby? Was she deaf? That's what the siren is for.

------------------------------- SUE the heck out of the city if the cop was at fault . --- just a quick comment .

Aren't we "legally" supposed to pull over and wait when we hear a siren nearby? Was she deaf? That's what the siren is for.

You don't pull over in the middle of an intersection. Also, in a lot of cases, it's very difficult to determine where the siren is coming from. And, cops are suppose to approach intersections with caution when involved in a chase. When cops are driving 80 or 90 MPH, the time between hearing a siren and actually seeing the cop is very short, in a second or so. Cops are suppose to observe traffic at all times, even when chasing another vehicle.

If one of us ran a red light and hit someone they would not sue or employer. As another poster stated the city should pay her medical and some for pain and suffering and I would add repairs to her car if you want file a lawsuit against the officer ok but suing the city that one I question.

If one of us ran a red light and hit someone they would not sue or employer. As another poster stated the city should pay her medical and some for pain and suffering and I would add repairs to her car if you want file a lawsuit against the officer ok but suing the city that one I question.
Thats not true. If in the act of you doing your job you ran a light and hit someone your company is liable.

------------------------- generally the city or police union takes on the defense of the cop . Whichever one of those entities defend the cop with the tax payer money or ooodles of Union dues should be sued along with the cop . --------- if the cop is found to be at fault , imo !!

Thats not true. If in the act of you doing your job you ran a light and hit someone your company is liable.
-------------------------- and Ace makes a good point , drive a hotel shuttle bus over some pedestrian and the hotel will be sued .

For me or you yes in the course of our job there would be no reason for us to be going 80 to 90 mph for a police officer there might be. What are the rules regarding high speed chases I'm sure they vary depending on the city and situation? Was the officer following the rules as laid out? If he was not was this the first time or has this been a pattern with him? These are a few things that would need to be known in my opinion before suing a city.

Well thats why this type of stuff should come out of the police retirement fund. You'd see a change in happen INSTANTLY. But as long as we pick up the tab...Meh :dunno:

Well thats why this type of stuff should come out of the police retirement fund. You'd see a change in happen INSTANTLY. But as long as we pick up the tab...Meh :dunno:

I actually think the solution is that each officer should have to contribute towards insurance that would cover them in instances like this, and damages should be capped at whatever the insurance company is ordered to pay.

Hey though, we found something else we agree on . AKA something else you actually are right about LOL hahahahaha

So, you're a cop, huh?

Forum List

Back