This Is Why I Always Helped Illegals Who Came To My Door

I assume you support illegal aliens breaking the law and crossing the border without documentation.

I certainly do. Stupid laws should be disobeyed.

I don't. Its a lot more complicated than that.

But, that's not what this thread is about. When a human being is standing on your front porch, exhausted and near total collapse, you don't close your door.

Over a period of more than 25 years, I helped hundreds and would do it again. There were some I helped every year. They were going to the same crop-picking job every year and knew they could stop at our place for help.

I assume you support illegal aliens breaking the law and crossing the border without documentation.

But, that's not what this thread is about. When a human being is standing on your front porch, exhausted and near total collapse, you don't close your door.

Over a period of more than 25 years, I helped hundreds and would do it again. There were some I helped every year. They were going to the same crop-picking job every year and knew they could stop at our place for help.

Much of my perspective on this formed when I was a union construction worker. Union guys pretty consistently look down on non-union workers, but have a particular contempt for immigrant, non-union workers. And I couldn't get past the irony that the 'wetbacks' they so despised, in general, worked twice as hard as the union jackasses who spit on them for their effort. And for a fraction of union wages.

as a GENERAL RULE it seems to me that any decent person will help ANY individual person in dire need and its nothing to even talk about except for encouraging help to needy people . I didn't read the link except for a real quick perusal . --------- So , helping individuals in dire need is nothing to be bragging about !!

Last edited:
Sign posted at Nuttley's shack

10354828_824580814268716_7112212187402986208_n.jpg

Shouldn't Illegals be allowed to drive off with any car with an Obama Sticker?

Shouldn't they be allowed to camp out at Pelosi's office?

I can still see some of those faces, dirty and exhausted and really, just about done in. Perched on the edge of the couch or drinking boiling hot water from the hose in the front yard.

I would always try to have chocolate and real orange juice on hand. I'd make them cheese sandwiches and fill up their water jugs with ice and water. I'd also keep small bottles of water frozen so they would thaw as they walked, giving them cold water.

People have no idea how many Border Patrol there are around Tucson. I can remember seeing the Border Patrol trucks go by and once, one followed me on the dirt road when I had four illegals in the car with me. If he had stopped me, I would have ended up in jail.

Several times, I drove them into town to the bus stop. And 2-3 times, drove them all the way to Eloy, a farming community north of Tucson, where they had jobs waiting in the fields.

They always wanted to pay for the help and would have money in plastic baggies in their shoe.

Once, driving into Tucson on Ajo, I picked up a family. It was one of the extremely hot summers in the 80s and they just about couldn't walk another step. I stopped at a Circle K and got hot dogs, candy bars and water for each of them. They recognized the Border Patrol HQ on Ajo just inside Tucson. They had a map with a destination on the Tohono O'odom reservation south of Tucson, so I took them there. It was a tiny adobe house and people poured out to welcome their family members.

The saddest was when the sheriff was holding three in my front yard, waiting for Border Patrol to come get them. They were sitting on the ground, under the tree, totally exhausted, very near complete collapse. The deputy misunderstood, saying he was sorry but they'd get them out of my yard as soon as they could. I made flavored coffee for them, hot and sugary and one of them kissed my hand.

I would always tell them, Via con Dios when we parted.

Some of them walk for weeks and weeks. Most of the women are raped - I've read that its more than 80%

Sometime ago, there was an article in the AZ Daily Star about what happens to the body when you die of dehydration. It must be a real horror - very painful. The illegals themselves would find bodies of others who didn't make it.

How desperate must someone be to leave everything they know and love to risk it all?

Much of my perspective on this formed when I was a union construction worker. Union guys pretty consistently look down on non-union workers, but have a particular contempt for immigrant, non-union workers. And I couldn't get past the irony that the 'wetbacks' they so despised, in general, worked twice as hard as the union jackasses who spit on them for their effort. And for a fraction of union wages.

You're right and I've seen it.

They do the work that no American wants or, likely, could even do.

I've written before about the family who did yard work for me while we still lived in Tucson before we moved out of the city. They asked $5 a hour and did more work and better than any American I ever hired. I paid them $10 an hour and gave them a lawn mower we never used. I don't know if they were legal or not because I never asked.

I wish Americans felt as strongly about the drug cartels as they do migrant farm workers.

I've often wondered why the USA hasn't developed crop picking machines if Americans won't do the crop picking for piddling wages . We've been to the moon , plumbed the ocean depths and we can't make crop picking machines , doesn't make sense to me . Then again I don't mind illegals picking crops if once crops are picked the pickers / illegals are sent home . Think that's how it used to be , something called - Bracero - or some such I think .

as a GENERAL RULE it seems to me that any decent person will help ANY individual person in dire need and its nothing to even talk about except for encouraging help to needy people . I didn't read the link except for a real quick perusal . --------- So , helping individuals in dire need is nothing to be bragging about !!

Indeed. And I trust that, despite some of the ridiculous bravado that goes on on these boards, that's how most react to real life suffering. My dad, for example, was a dyed-in-the-wool racist, but underneath such an ugly shortcoming, he was decent man - and I saw him consistently treat individuals with compassion and respect, regardless of their race. Only a thoroughgoing bigot can look another human being in the eye and ignore the person, seeing only an object of their ideology or prejudices.

drug cartels , Americans should stop using drug cartel supplied drugs I guess !!

Indeed. And I trust that, despite some of the ridiculous bravado that goes on on these boards, that's how most react to real life suffering. My dad, for example, was a dyed-in-the-wool racist, but underneath such an ugly shortcoming, he was decent man - and I saw him consistently treat individuals with compassion and respect, regardless of their race. Only a thoroughgoing bigot can look another human being in the eye and ignore the person, seeing only an object of their ideology or prejudices.

I agree. My own father was racist as well and once dragged me off a dance floor for dancing with a black. But, like you say, he was also a good and decent man. He was simply born at a time when ignorance about race was rampant. Uh, much like we're seeing from some people now.

Another thing I often saw in Tucson was that Mexicans would always stop to help others in need. Broken down car or whatever - Mexican Americans would never pass you by. I once asked a brash young man why that is and he and his friends all kind of laughed and said because they're mothers would let them have it if they ever passed up someone needing help.

Mexicans are also very family oriented. I would often see young guys with their babies/children in grocery stores or similar settings. You would never see them scold or ignore or expect their wives to take care of the child. They might look like young toughs but they treat their kids with such incredible love and caring - its truly touching.

I've been gone from Tcsn for more than 7 years now so this might have changed but there was a church that defied the law to put out water stations in the desert.

I also knew of others who did as we did - they simply helped the people who came to their door. What a shame that reaching out a helping hand to a fellow human being is now against the law.

We do have machines that pick some crops. Others must still be harvested by hand.

The US has used migrant farm workers for generations. And, we have always treated them in the most shameful ways. We use them and hate them for it. Its a modern day slavery.

Anyone stupid enough to venture into Death Valley unprepared deserves to be buzzard food.

Forum List

Back