This is the LAST STRAW...i.e. the exaggeration, the lack of common sense!

61TSIgdiGLL._SX522_.jpg

$8.69 for 8 stainless steel straws.
Well there’s a liberal solution just waiting for one of their lunatics to discover. All the city of Seattle government bureaucracy has to do is buy every single sucking-age resident a $9.00 set of straws. Obama phones, Seattle straws...two peas in a pod.
Do you live in Seattle?
Nope. But I visit the Peoples’ Republic now and then.

4892cbb5d2dd19098f5b87a9af99a33fb08cf894.jpg

The "plastic patch" in the Pacific is the size of Texas.

Why so much wood?
Is that wood, or cardboard? I can't tell from the photo.

Over the centuries, paper has been made from a wide variety of materials — wood pulp, rice, water plants, cotton, even old clothes! But no matter what you use to make paper — you need “fiber.” Today's paper fibercomes mainly from two sources — pulpwood logs and recycled paper products.
How Paper is Made · Idaho Forests Products Commission

So using a system called the "internet" I found out (what I knew and you evidently didn't) cardboard is made from paper and paper is well made from wood!
Wow... so simply stating it is wood and cardboard made from wood.

Yes, it does. Manufactured is identical to consumed because all straws are one-time use.

Let's get rid of straws and also plastic bags. Sooner is better. I'm up for it.

NO it is NOT the same! How many straws are in the packages in the stores right now?
How many straws in your house? RIGHT NOW???
For example in McDonalds' alone every day there are left over every night a number of STRAWS! NOT consumed!
With over 50,000 fast food places each having say 1,000 straws left over from night to night that means there are 50 million straws NOT consumed!

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
You can get a stainless steel straw and travel utensils to keep in the glove compartment or in your purse if you're a lady. You can survive this. It should have happened a long time ago.

Right leave the microbe laden material in the glove compartment incubator!

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a collection of plastic, floating trash halfway between Hawaii and California, has grown to more than 600,000 square miles, a study published Thursday found. That's twice the size of Texas.
Now let's assume there are say 6 gyres... Gyres are large systems of circulating ocean currents, kind of like slow-moving whirlpools like Pacific.. and contains the same size, i.e.
600,000 square miles or 3,600,000 square miles of the oceans.
How many square miles of Oceans are there? he oceans cover 141,600,000 square miles, or 72% of the earth's surface. www.reefnews.com/reefnews/infopage/oceans/ocean.html
what percent of square miles have garbage based on 3.6 million square miles? 2.5%! Wow... let's get excited!

That boat is sitting on dry ground.
More than likely a photo of hurricane damage or tsunami damage.

Yes, it does. Manufactured is identical to consumed because all straws are one-time use.

NO it is NOT the same! How many straws are in the packages in the stores right now?
For example in McDonalds' alone every day there are left over every night a number of STRAWS! NOT consumed!
With over 50,000 fast food places each having say 1,000 straws left over from night to night that means there are 50 million straws NOT consumed!

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Thanks get consumed at the same rate as they are manufactured or we would have warehouses full of unused straws.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Thanks get consumed at the same rate as they are manufactured or we would have warehouses full of unused straws.
OH you are so stupid! How in the HELL can 500 million straw be consumed at the same time as they are manufactured?
Are you telling me 320 million Americans are standing at one single manufacturing site waiting for a straw to be made and they use it right away?
Explain this picture? Are these the ONLY straws that aren't consumed by Americans ?

Obviously you are totally ignorant of how things are made!
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.14.58 AM.png

Why so much wood?
Is that wood, or cardboard? I can't tell from the photo.

Over the centuries, paper has been made from a wide variety of materials — wood pulp, rice, water plants, cotton, even old clothes! But no matter what you use to make paper — you need “fiber.” Today's paper fibercomes mainly from two sources — pulpwood logs and recycled paper products.
How Paper is Made · Idaho Forests Products Commission

So using a system called the "internet" I found out (what I knew and you evidently didn't) cardboard is made from paper and paper is well made from wood!
Wow... so simply stating it is wood and cardboard made from wood.
It was a simple question. No need to be snarky about it. You win.

No purchaser of plastic straws "throws the unused ones away".
The straws sit in the dispensers until they are used.
Straws do not have a 'sell by date' on them.
FF outlets HATE straws! They cause nothing but problems for the employees/owner.
Ban all plastic straws! If some people need to drink from a plastic straw that's fine. Their caregiver can bring a straw with them to the FF outlet.......and take the fucking filthy thing back home with them!

This whole thing reminds me of riding along on a Sunday drive and pop would ask for some water from the picnic jug. Mom would get pop's collapsible cup from the glove compartment and pop would always tell about how at school each kid had their own such cup and they'd line up at the water pump when it was time for a drink. After all those trips I think we hit every factory tour available in northeastern Ohio.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
OH you are so stupid! How in the HELL can 500 million straw be consumed at the same time as they are manufactured?
Are you telling me 320 million Americans are standing at one single manufacturing site waiting for a straw to be made and they use it right away?
Explain this picture? Are these the ONLY straws that aren't consumed by Americans ?

View attachment 205885
Dude, don't be stupider than you have to be.

Of course nobody is standing at the factory. Thye are shipped to the various outlets and consumed there.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

View attachment 205885

Of course nobody is standing at the factory. Thye are shipped to the various outlets and consumed there.
Then why did you say: "Yes, it does. Manufactured is identical to consumed"?
Manufacturers produce MORE straws then are consumed each day because dummy as I pointed out they have to be shipped. And straw containers hold the straws until they are used!
As a result the idiot 9 year old used the figure 500 million that were produced as the same as consumed! And that number was way off!
As I pointed out 14 manufacturers DO NOT manufacture 500 million straws a day! But all people quoting the 500 million figure are saying that is the consumption figure when it is NOT!
Now do you understand the difference?

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

View attachment 205885

Manufacturers produce MORE straws then are consumed each day because dummy as I pointed out they have to be shipped. And straw containers hold the straws until they are used!
As a result the idiot 9 year old used the figure 500 million that were produced as the same as consumed! And that number was way off!
As I pointed out 14 manufacturers DO NOT manufacture 500 million straws a day! But all people quoting the 500 million figure are saying that is the consumption figure when it is NOT!
How many straws do you think are being held in reserve my friend?

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

View attachment 205885

You are totally missing the point here.
Several cities, the Forest Service and almost all MSM keep repeating the same story... 500,0000,000 straws consumed per day.
But that number was based on a 9 year old kid in 2011 who called not ALL the manufacturers and carelessly said the manufacturers' figures were NOT manufactured but consumed!
There is the rub.
No one KNOWS how many straws are truly consumed.
It would mean that every day 320 million Americans from babies to seniors would be using nearly 2 straws per day.
In your own experience, did you use a straw with breakfast? At lunch? At dinner sitting with your family or in a fancy restaurant?
Do you think 320 million people repeated your experience?

That is my point! The whole premise was built on a gross discrepancy. Manufactured versus consumed.
Again the 9 year old changed the results from "manufactured" to "consumed" and Not ONE of the agencies repeating the number questioned that.

So, we’ve got a National Straw Reserve it sounds like. Think I’ll apply for its Czarship. Cushy, government perks, connections all over the place in the private sector, assuring BIG pay jobs in my post public service days that require even less effort than working for Uncle Sam.

So, we’ve got a National Straw Reserve it sounds like. Think I’ll apply for its Czarship. Cushy, government perks, connections all over the place in the private sector, assuring BIG pay jobs in my post public service days that require even less effort than working for Uncle Sam.
Funny. If you need a "statistical bullcrap inspector" let me know because it seems a lot of people fall for anything that sounds statistical even though it is illogical.
I just ran across another questionable study... Did you know the average 4 year old asks 437 questions a day? Yup... Figure that out and you'll see why I was skeptical about
the "consumed" figure.

View attachment 205885

Several cities, the Forest Service and almost all MSM keep repeating the same story... 500,0000,000 straws consumed per day.
But that number was based on a 9 year old kid in 2011 who called not ALL the manufacturers and carelessly said the manufacturers' figures were NOT manufactured but consumed!
There is the rub.
It would mean that every day 320 million Americans from babies to seniors would be using nearly 2 straws per day.
In your own experience, did you use a straw with breakfast? At lunch? At dinner sitting with your family or in a fancy restaurant?

That is my point! The whole premise was built on a gross discrepancy. Manufactured versus consumed.
Again the 9 year old changed the results from "manufactured" to "consumed" and Not ONE of the agencies repeating the number questioned that.
No. You are missing the point here. The figures are not a lie. They are true. We are not manufacturing more staws than we consume. They are all getting used. The story isn't fake, the figures aren't made up.

It's simple economics, not brain surgery.

^this is the point I have been trying to make^

Thank you for posting.

View attachment 205885

There is the rub.

No. You are missing the point here. The figures are not a lie. They are true. We are not manufacturing more staws than we consume. They are all getting used. The story isn't fake, the figures aren't made up.

So you are telling me that you have NO straws in your house?
That McDonalds, Burger King, et.al. have NO straws in their restaurants?
That the trucks hauling the straws aren't carry more straws than are being consumed?
That every minute a straw is manufactured, it is USED?

Manufactured means making a product that "WILL" eventually be used...consumed.
But NO ONE consumes ALL the straws that are manufactured every day!

NOW that is simple manufacturing principle.

There is no way of accurately assessing how many straws are consumed. I can tell you when I was going to college and worked in a fast food, we replaced straws
every day! But the straw container WAS NEVER empty meaning ALL our straws in our storage area were consumed.
We carried a reserve....i.e. we bought more straws than we used so as we'd never run out. But using the figure of 500,000,000 straws as manufactured was wrong in the first
place and secondly using the term 500,000,000 straws CONSUMED a day was even more inaccurate!

And that is simple fact that you seem to be so totally unable to comprehend. That is amazing.
This is so simple it is ridiculous but if the sun is shining is it consider day and not night when the sun doesn't shine?
If you have a ball in your hand and you drop it will it always fall if you are on earth?
Simple questions I'm sure you can answer... and so how can a straw be manufactured and consumed at the same time? Simple question.

There is the rub.

So you are telling me that you have NO straws in your house?
That McDonalds, Burger King, et.al. have NO straws in their restaurants?
That the trucks hauling the straws aren't carry more straws than are being consumed?
That every minute a straw is manufactured, it is USED?

Manufactured means making a product that "WILL" eventually be used...consumed.
But NO ONE consumes ALL the straws that are manufactured every day!

NOW that is simple manufacturing principle.

There is no way of accurately assessing how many straws are consumed. I can tell you when I was going to college and worked in a fast food, we replaced straws
every day! But the straw container WAS NEVER empty meaning ALL our straws in our storage area were consumed.
We carried a reserve....i.e. we bought more straws than we used so as we'd never run out. But using the figure of 500,000,000 straws as manufactured was wrong in the first
place and secondly using the term 500,000,000 straws CONSUMED a day was even more inaccurate!

And that is simple fact that you seem to be so totally unable to comprehend. That is amazing.
This is so simple it is ridiculous but if the sun is shining is it consider day and not night when the sun doesn't shine?
If you have a ball in your hand and you drop it will it always fall if you are on earth?
Simple questions I'm sure you can answer... and so how can a straw be manufactured and consumed at the same time? Simple question.
Ok, I have reached the conclusion that you are never going to understand this simple principal so I'm done.

Have a nice day, please don't breed.

Forum List

Back