This Is Not Your Independence Day

mazaskazi wicha phenin taku hechel yachlinka cha taku iyag leic iyaa

The 4th of July might commemorate the independence of our country -- but it also serves as a bitter reminder that in 1776, the country that I love had no place for me in it.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

MORE: This Is Not Your Independence Day*|*Carina Kolodny

As the article makes clear - it was only Independence Day for WHITE men. WHITE men! Not for women. Not for blacks. Not for Native Americans. Not for anyone but WHITE men.

So, whose independence is it? Everyone's. The concept of our country being independent had to evolve into what we see today. History is history. And this interpretation of "All men are created equal" is tainted with liberal identity politics.

You know, if you don't like celebrating your independence, I'm sure North Korea, Iran, or Syria would love to have someone like you working in a labor camp. Perhaps then you would learn to appreciate what you rend beneath your feet. Perhaps being free isn't so racist after all, now is it?

The 4th of July might commemorate the independence of our country -- but it also serves as a bitter reminder that in 1776, the country that I love had no place for me in it.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

As the article makes clear - it was only Independence Day for WHITE men. WHITE men! Not for women. Not for blacks. Not for Native Americans. Not for anyone but WHITE men.

So, whose independence is it? Everyone's. The concept of our country being independent had to evolve into what we see today. History is history. And this interpretation of "All men are created equal" is tainted with liberal identity politics.

You know, if you don't like celebrating your independence, I'm sure North Korea, Iran, or Syria would love to have someone like you working in a labor camp. Perhaps then you would learn to appreciate what you rend beneath your feet. Perhaps being free isn't so racist after all, now is it?

Hey, sparky, my people were here first. However, feel free to check out North Korea, Iran, or Syria for yourself. I'm sure they'd love to have a man like you.

This just in. Black people have been discriminated against in this land since the founding and up to through and including the Civil War and Jim Crow. Indeed, it lasted even longer. And it sucks.

Of course, this also just in. Blacks were also victimized by other blacks -- historically and to this very day.

This just in. Indians were discriminated against by the white man in America.

Of course, this also just in. Indians were victimized by other Indians in this land for a long time before Europeans ever arrived.

This just in. Jews were discriminated against in this world by Egyptians, and Romans and Germans, etc.

This just in. Chinese were discriminated against by Japanese.

This just in. All manner of people were discriminated against by other people (races, ethnicities, nationalities, etc) through out the history of history.

Mourning the unfairness of the past is not the best way of dealing with the past.

RECTIFYING the wrongs might be a better idea.

If only we could construct a society premised on equality ....

This just in. Black people have been discriminated against in this land since the founding and up to through and including the Civil War and Jim Crow. Indeed, it lasted even longer. And it sucks.

Of course, this also just in. Blacks were also victimized by other blacks -- historically and to this very day.

Of course, this also just in. Indians were victimized by other Indians in this land for a long time before Europeans ever arrived.

This just in. Jews were discriminated against in this world by Egyptians, and Romans and Germans, etc.

This just in. All manner of people were discriminated against by other people (races, ethnicities, nationalities, etc) through out the history of history.

Mourning the unfairness of the past is not the best way of dealing with the past.

Well, which lying asshole are you - Liability or The T. I can't tell one lying asshole from another.

Well, which lying asshole are you - Liability or The T. I can't tell one lying asshole from another.

I can help you with that Shitting Bull.

YOU are the liar. And the asshole. Go look in the mirror and embrace your fail.

It's really all you have.

Meanwhile, 238 years and a couple of extra days of INDEPENDENCE. Yes indeed. It certainly IS our independence. God Bless America.

A wonderful place. Abject filthy diseased scum sucking assholes like you won't recognize this, though.

Too bad. For you.

Hey, sparky, my people were here first. However, feel free to check out North Korea, Iran, or Syria for yourself. I'm sure they'd love to have a man like you.
actually white Europeans were here first. Clovis man they were called,

don't you all forget, YOU DIDN'T BUILD that either

is there any holiday they don't shit on?

Now some of the laughable lolberals are lecturing us on the Spirit of the Holiday in reference to the American Holiday of Independence Day at the same time that they are shitting on the most basic
American precepts, notions and beliefs.

One of the most irresponsible articles ever..... It clearly shows that there are those in this Country that have a vested interest in perpetuating division within US. The article is only relevant if Blacks, Native Americans, Women are still living under the same conditions as at the time of 1776. The US is not infallible but its willingness to evolve is what comprises it's Exceptionalism. Think conditions for Women, Minorities, and Gays has changed much since July 4, 1776 in Muslim, Asian, and Latin American nations? July 4, 2014 is every American's Independence Day. The author should move to Cuba.

Yeah, white women have it tough these days.....

There were no lies in his post.

Libtards are the liars trying to fool everyone.

Forum List

Back