This is Good News; Eisman Considers the Financial Industry to be Safe

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Eisman is one of the very few who called the 2008 SubPrime Collapse. He was characterized by the Steve Carell in the movie 'The Big Short'.

If HE says the financial industry is solid, I believe him.

Steve Eisman, who called the 'Big Short' during last financial crisis, says he's sleeping easy now

Neuberger Berman portfolio manager Steve Eisman is bullish on bank stocks.

The financial "industry is so well-capitalized today that I don't see any problems emerging for a very long time ... I sleep very well. I just don't see any systemic risk on the horizon," Eisman said Friday on CNBC's "Closing Bell." "My top pick is Citigroup."

The investor added that Citigroup's executive team is "managing the company properly, and I think over time it has the most potential upside."

He said the financial sector is now well-capitalized with "clean" balance sheets and heavily regulated.​

Great.

Why the hell didn't Trump pick him as his NEC director? At least the guy has a track record of being very right on the "big things," as it were. We can't at all say the same about Kudlow, other than this free trade stance, which, frankly, is one that,almost exclusively, only economically under-/uniformed folks refute.

Great.

Why the hell didn't Trump pick him as his NEC director? At least the guy has a track record of being very right on the "big things," as it were. We can't at all say the same about Kudlow, other than this free trade stance, which, frankly, is one that,almost exclusively, only economically under-/uniformed folks refute.

Kudlow completely misread the crash.

He's the guy Trump chose.

Great.

Well, yes, he is....that he is, of course, is the problem.

Great.

Xelor - Why the hell didn't Trump pick him as his NEC director?

Well, Kudlow isnt a bad pick, he just isnt Eisman.

And I suspect that Eisman is a very difficult man to work with, if you know what I mean. I get the feeling he would argue with you over trivial things, but since I dont personally know him, it is not fair of me to say that, I guess.

Great.

Well, yes, he is....that he is, of course, is the problem.
Just about EVERYONE misread the subprime crash. I happened to have been reading some news letters where the authors were aware of the magnified problem of Subprimes being amplified by MBS and these in turn made far worse by Credit Default Swaps.

A few got it right, but those were by far the exception, and they tended to be rather eccentric if the movie 'The Big Short' portrayed these characters half accurately.

That financial stuff goes over my head but it is reassuring in that this message by Eisman is coming out now while congress is currently easing regulations established in wake of the banking crisis ten years ago.

Great.

And I suspect that Eisman is a very difficult man to work with, if you know what I mean. I get the feeling he would argue with you over trivial things, but since I dont personally know him, it is not fair of me to say that, I guess.
Kudlow isnt a bad pick, he just isnt Eisman.
He's been materially wrong, disingenuous, etc. on enough material matters so as to make him a bad pick.
About the only context in which Kudlow can be seen as good pick for that job is that even he opposes tariffs; however, so abundant and conclusive is the past ~50 years' worth of empirical research on the economics of free trade that one'd have to be an utter economics novice not to oppose them in general for the U.S. and not to oppose the specific suboptimal ones Trump announced.

Great.

He's been materially wrong, disingenuous, etc. on enough material matters so as to make him a bad pick.
About the only context in which Kudlow can be seen as good pick for that job is that even he opposes tariffs; however, so abundant and conclusive is the past ~50 years' worth of empirical research on the economics of free trade that one'd have to be an utter economics novice not to oppose them in general for the U.S. and not to oppose the specific suboptimal ones Trump announced.

All that is necessary is that Trump likes him for whatever reason.

Lots of people think Kudlow is a genius, lol.

But I think Trump could have done much better.

Great.

All that is necessary for what? For an unqualified person to get the fucking job?

Great.

1. Appeal to Popularity
    With regard to his performing on Trump's NEC, it matters not whether lots of people think that, but when lots of people (hundreds) who indeed have the qualifications to evaluate whether Kudlow is a genius assert as much, it will matter that they have because such folks opinion on the matter would be legitimate/credible. (Click on this sentence and see the exception.)
  2. Einstein and Hawking were geniuses and I wouldn't be keen on their having the NEC advisory role Kudlow does. I seem to recall Trump said, in effect, that people are clamoring to work in his WH, so presumably he could have picked any economist from among the top ones alive to day. Frankly, I wouldn't have cared which of the following living economists he picked, but one'd have to be "into" economics to recognize the name of the vast majority of them, which is, w3ell, :

Great.

1. Appeal to Popularity
    With regard to his performing on Trump's NEC, it matters not whether lots of people think that, but when lots of people (hundreds) who indeed have the qualifications to evaluate whether Kudlow is a genius assert as much, it will matter that they have because such folks opinion on the matter would be legitimate/credible. (Click on this sentence and see the exception.)
  2. Einstein and Hawking were geniuses and I wouldn't be keen on their having the NEC advisory role Kudlow does. I seem to recall Trump said, in effect, that people are clamoring to work in his WH, so presumably he could have picked any economist from among the top ones alive to day. Frankly, I wouldn't have cared which of the following living economists he picked, but one'd have to be "into" economics to recognize the name of the vast majority of them, which is, w3ell, :
We can argue about who Trump should have picked all day, and never come to a conclusion as there are so many out there and only a few positions they might work at in the WH. My point is simply that Trump can pick whoever the hell he wants, and Kudlo is not a disaster, just not the best.

As to the popularity of these people you found on the charts, my take on that is that most of the respondents are basing their pick on ideological similarity rather than a track record of successfully predicting economic upturns and downturns like Eisman does fairly well.

Great.

1. Appeal to Popularity
We can argue about who Trump should have picked all day, and never come to a conclusion as there are so many out there and only a few positions they might work at in the WH. My point is simply that Trump can pick whoever the hell he wants, and Kudlo is not a disaster, just not the best.

As to the popularity of these people you found on the charts, my take on that is that most of the respondents are basing their pick on ideological similarity rather than a track record of successfully predicting economic upturns and downturns like Eisman does fairly well.
We can argue about who Trump should have picked all day, and never come to a conclusion
AFAIAC, he should have picked just about anybody other than Kudlow. Hell, for all I know, you'd be at least as good a pick, maybe better. The point I was making is that Trump could/should have picked anyone of a number of other economists, all of whom would have been better than Kudlow. My thing is that Kudlow is a bad choice, and there were plenty of good ones around.

AFAIAC, he should have picked just about anybody other than Kudlow.

Lol, so you really dont like Kudlow? :)

Hell, for all I know, you'd be at least as good a pick, maybe better.

Oh, Hell, no.

Just no.

Between listening to ballistics experts debate the effect of humidity on the drop of a fired round, or economists debating the impact of macro inflation on the economy and whether and how the increased speed of desktop computers should affect that the inflation index, or listening to a bag of feral cats caterwalling through the night....I guess I;d have to go with eating broken glass.

AFAIAC, he should have picked just about anybody other than Kudlow.

Hell, for all I know, you'd be at least as good a pick, maybe better.

Oh, Hell, no.

Just no.

Between listening to ballistics experts debate the effect of humidity on the drop of a fired round, or economists debating the impact of macro inflation on the economy and whether and how the increased speed of desktop computers should affect that the inflation index, or listening to a bag of feral cats caterwalling through the night....I guess I;d have to go with eating broken glass.
It's not a matter of whether I like Kudlow or don't like Kudlow. The issue is that he's inept as an economist; his track record, not his personality, is the reason I am not keen on his having been appointed. He has so often "missed the ball" on matters about which he holds himself out as being expert, prudent, sagacious, prescient, adept, etc. that I wouldn't hire him to work on my project teams, so you know damn well I don't condone his being appointed to any president's council of economic advisors.

Kudlow being an economic advisor to Trump is tantamount to the "deaf, dumb and blind" leading the "deaf, dumb and blind." But, Kudlow, like a blind squirrel, may occasionally "find a nut."

It's not a matter of whether I like Kudlow or don't like Kudlow. The issue is that he's inept as an economist; his track record, not his personality, is the reason I am not keen on his having been appointed. He has so often "missed the ball" on matters about which he holds himself out as being expert, prudent, sagacious, prescient, adept, etc. that I wouldn't hire him to work on my project teams, so you know damn well I don't condone his being appointed to any president's council of economic advisors.

Kudlow being an economic advisor to Trump is tantamount to the "deaf, dumb and blind" leading the "deaf, dumb and blind." But, Kudlow, like a blind squirrel, may occasionally "find a nut."

Oh, horse shit, Xellor. Had Obama appointed Kudlow you would be declaring the man a genius and blah, blah, blah as you are partisan and your track record is more consistent in that regard than Kudlowis wrong about anything.

Lets look at your 'proof' that Kudlow is wrong. I cant sleep right now, so maybe this will help me, lol.

1. Calculated Risk: Larry Kudlow is usually wrong

So Kudlow was wrong about the Subprime mrtgage industry killing the REal estate market nationally. So was 99% of the rest of the economists in the country.

2. Trump’s New Economic Adviser Lawrence Kudlow Has Been Wrong About Everything

So everything about Supply Side economics is wrong and Kudlow an incompetent for subscribing to it? Horse shit.

3. 5 Times Trump's Favorite Economic Advisor Has Been Spectacularly Wrong About the Economy

Prognostication is based on a multitude of factors, and while Kudlow is not my favorite of them, to quote him out of context without qualification is just more partisan horse shittery.

4. Larry Kudlow’s history of bad economic calls

Aside from more castigation of Kudlow over the Subprime mess, the article basically criticizes Kudlow for being wrong on Free trade while disagreeing with Trump about Free Trade, oh and Trump is wrong too. Everyone outside the Democratic Party is wrong on everything, go figger.

5. God, cocaine, money and forgetting: a look at Donald Trump's new economic adviser

More Kudlow was wrong about the real estate market crapola, since everyone was wrong it seems absurd to hang all of it on Kudlow, this article takes swipes at Kudlow for having personal problems and recovering from them, converting to Catholicism and joining Opus Dei.

I am not impressed.

6. Kudlow Is a Sign Republicans Are Out of Economic Ideas

So imposing tarriffs is a bad thing, but Free Trade as espoused by Kudlow is also a bad thing?

lol, Trump is imposing duly agreed to tariffs as a response to Chinese misbehavior, and others as well, and the Tariffs are not going to hurt the economy any in and of themselves, but only help. What could hurt the economy is a general trade war of each trading block imposing tariffs on each other and we are far from that situation.

The USA has been putting up with the Chicoms currency manipulation, product dumping, patent theft and similar nonsense from the Chicoms for decades, and we are finally taking punitive steps to protect our economy and Free Traders are going hysterical, roflmao.

Kudlow is wrong about tariffs, but then again, you guys think he is wrong about anything he says just like you think Trump is wrong about anything he says as well.

For you it seems the source is the test of verity and not the actual facts involved.

Had Obama appointed Kudlow you would be declaring the man a genius and blah, blah, blah as you are partisan and your track record is more consistent in that regard than Kudlowis wrong about anything.
You can with that stop responding to any of my posts.

Great.

If Trump likes him I like him.

Had Obama appointed Kudlow you would be declaring the man a genius and blah, blah, blah as you are partisan and your track record is more consistent in that regard than Kudlowis wrong about anything.
You can with that stop responding to any of my posts.
you are partisan and your track record is more consistent in that regard than Kudlow is wrong about anything
And just so you know why I've had enough of you:
  • My track record is that of consistently expressing a point of view that I have duly considered and freely share with audience members the basis for my opinions so that individuals who are of a mind to refute my views can see and understand the methodology I used to arrive at my views, and, seeing material flaws in it, refute the conclusions/inferences I've expressed.
  • Partisans are folks who inure to the appeal to association, various ad hominem, relative privation, and other fallacious bases for holding whatever POV they hold. They don't address a matter on it's own merits.

I don't do that, and reading post after post that I make on here shows as much. I didn't do it with regard to remarks about Kudlow and what I think of his professional merit as an economist. I don't care who supports "so and so" or who doesn't. I care only about "so and so's" actual performance and track record.

What did I write? "His track record, not his personality, is the reason I am not keen on his having been appointed." And what is part of Kudlow's track record? This:
    • Lots of economists often enough are predictively wrong about the materialization of long-term [1] effects; no surprise that as what they're predicting is human behavior, which is among the most unreliable things on the planet. Good or better than good ones are almost never so observationally wrong that they get it wrong about short-term ones, events that are "right around the corner," so to speak, or closer, yet that is precisely Kudlow's track record. Even after the Great Recession was underway, Kudlow was still, in effect, asserting that it was not underway. It's one thing to be predictively wrong about a "storm's" imminence and intensity. It's wholly another to, as Kudlow was, be in the "storm" and "miss the ball" on both counts.
      • September 3, 2008 -- Kudlow wrote: “Undoubtedly, more credit problems will surface among the banks. But that’s looking through the rearview mirror. For those of us who prefer to look ahead, through the windshield, the outlook for stocks is getting better and better.”

September 29, 2009 -- Guess what happened? Who was affected? What actions had to be taken to attenuate the impact of what was happening?

Economically speaking, that's tantamount to a Miami meteorologist saying a hurricane that is in fact slamming into Cuba quite simply isn't there; thus "tomorrow and the next day" will be sunny and bright.
      • June 2005 -- Kudlow wrote: "The homebuilders index has increased 76 percent over the past year, with particularly well-run companies like Toll Brothers up about twice as much. The bubbleheads missed all this because they haven’t done their homework....bubbleheads who expect housing-price crashes in Las Vegas or Naples, Florida, to bring down the consumer, the rest of the economy, and the entire stock market [are] dead wrong.”

It doesn't even matter what "homework" Kudlow did. The fact of the matter is he either didn't do enough homework, he did the wrong homework assignment. He sat his sorry ass there and told his readers how "healthy" this and that "tree" or "species of tree" was, but utterly ignored the fact that a "cadre of buzz saws," if you will, was cutting down the whole damn forest.
      • December 10, 2007 -- In an article subtitled "You can call it Goldilocks 2.0. But you can't call it a recession," Kudlow wrote:
        • There’s no recession coming. The pessimistas were wrong. It’s not going to happen.”
        • “The pessimistas are a persistent bunch. In 2006, they were certain a recession was just around the corner. They were wrong.”
        • “I believe the economic pendulum will soon swing in favor of the GOP.”
        • “The Bush boom is alive and well. It’s finishing up its sixth consecutive year with more to come. Yes, it’s still the greatest story never told.”
    • Kudlow was so pro-Bush, so pro-Republican -- So partisan! -- that he repeatedly went on the record as a cheerleader when, economically, the nation was going to hell in a handbasket.
  • If I'm going to assail the integrity of a person to whom I'm communicating directly, I will do so by showing that in the face of a preponderance of material facts to the contrary, they deny either the facts verity/verisimilitude (be it qualitative or quantitative) and/or their implications, and on the basis of either of those actions, embrace and market a counterfactual position. It's one thing for laymen to do that, and Lord knows plenty do. It's completely unacceptable for one who is a professional in a given discipline to do that with regard to matters pertinent to their field; such a person's doing so is cozenous and turpitudinous in every imaginable way.
You have the temerity to impugn my integrity by calling me a goddamned partisan. I can't stop you from doing or thinking that be so, but I don't have to keep reading your insults of that nature, and I will not. So should you in the future reply to my posts, be aware that I won't see your comments and won't reply to them. Ciao.

Note:
  1. Maybe you don't know what "long-term/run," "short-term/run" and "very-long run/term" means in an economic context. I don't know. Insofar as you deign to have a strong enough opinion that you'd air and defend in public, I'd think you do know what those terms mean. Just in case you don't:

-- https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/glossary/short-run-long-run-very-long-run/
    -- Learn About the Short Run Versus the Long Run In Economics

Even not knowing precisely what those terms mean, I'd at least expect you've have asked yourself "what was the temporal nature of the sh*t Kudlow's gotten wrong over the years?" One doesn't need to know much about economics at all to have the presence of mind to realize that anticipating economy-level (rather than firm or person level) events that are likely to happen within the next year or two is relatively easy/easier to do and get right than is anticipating events five or more years out.

Great.

...And in as "big" a way as it was possible to do! TWENTY-SIX DAYS away from the crash and still didn't see it coming!!
  • September 3, 2008 -- Kudlow wrote: “Undoubtedly, more credit problems will surface among the banks. But that’s looking through the rearview mirror. For those of us who prefer to look ahead, through the windshield, the outlook for stocks is getting better and better.”

September 29, 2009 -- Guess what happened? Who was affected? What actions had to be taken to attenuate the impact of what was happening?

Economically speaking, that's tantamount to a Miami meteorologist saying a hurricane that is in fact slamming into Cuba quite simply isn't there; thus "tomorrow and the next day" will be sunny and bright.
  • June 2005 -- Kudlow wrote: "The homebuilders index has increased 76 percent over the past year, with particularly well-run companies like Toll Brothers up about twice as much. The bubbleheads missed all this because they haven’t done their homework....bubbleheads who expect housing-price crashes in Las Vegas or Naples, Florida, to bring down the consumer, the rest of the economy, and the entire stock market [are] dead wrong.”

It doesn't even matter what "homework" Kudlow did. The fact of the matter is he either didn't do enough homework, he did the wrong homework assignment. He sat his sorry ass there and told his readers how "healthy" this and that "tree" or "species of tree" was, but utterly ignored the fact that a "cadre of buzz saws," if you will, was cutting down the whole damn forest.
  • December 10, 2007 -- In an article subtitled "You can call it Goldilocks 2.0. But you can't call it a recession," Kudlow wrote:
    • There’s no recession coming. The pessimistas were wrong. It’s not going to happen.”
    • “The pessimistas are a persistent bunch. In 2006, they were certain a recession was just around the corner. They were wrong.”
    • “I believe the economic pendulum will soon swing in favor of the GOP.”
    • “The Bush boom is alive and well. It’s finishing up its sixth consecutive year with more to come. Yes, it’s still the greatest story never told.”
I mean seriously!!! Could one have been more loud, strong and wrong???!!!
Sh*t, big sh*t(!), had already hit the fan by 2009 and still Kudlow was singing "everything's coming up roses."

Forum List

Back