This is an amazing optical illusion

Here's the Granddaddy of all the optical illusionists in the art world... my daughter really went nuts over this guy when we came back from the Netherlands with a book on M.C. Escher. There was an entire art shop dedicated to M.C. Escher et al in Amsterdam... or wherever we were when I flipped after seeing one of his works in the store window...
Found these examples of his work on "Search."

The first time I saw this one way back when, I kept thinking "What
am I looking at? The year may have been 1968, when MC. Escher
was still alive. He lived from 19 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Relativity" MC Escher
th
th

Here's a brief bio of M.C. Escher's professional life, from Wikipedia:

M. C. Escher​

72 languages
This is a good article. Click here for more information.

Page semi-protected

Listen to this article
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M. C. Escher
Black-and-white photograph of Escher in November 1971
Escher in 1971
BornMaurits Cornelis Escher
17 June 1898
Leeuwarden, Netherlands
Died27 March 1972 (aged 73)
Hilversum, Netherlands
Resting placeBaarn, Netherlands
Education
Known for
Notable work
SpouseJetta Umiker

(m. 1924)
Children3
Parent
AwardsKnight (1955) and Officer (1967) of the Order of Orange-Nassau
Websitewww.mcescher.com
Maurits Cornelis Escher (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmʌurɪt͡s kɔrˈneːlɪs ˈɛʃər]; 17 June 1898 – 27 March 1972) was a Dutch graphic artist who made mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints. Despite wide popular interest, Escher was for most of his life neglected in the art world, even in his native Netherlands. He was 70 before a retrospective exhibition was held. In the late twentieth century, he became more widely appreciated, and in the twenty-first century he has been celebrated in exhibitions around the world.
His work features mathematical objects and operations including impossible objects, explorations of infinity, reflection, symmetry, perspective, truncated and stellated polyhedra, hyperbolic geometry, and tessellations. Although Escher believed he had no mathematical ability, he interacted with the mathematicians George Pólya, Roger Penrose, Harold Coxeter and crystallographer Friedrich Haag, and conducted his own research into tessellation.
Early in his career, he drew inspiration from nature, making studies of insects, landscapes, and plants such as lichens, all of which he used as details in his artworks. He traveled in Italy and Spain, sketching buildings, townscapes, architecture and the tilings of the Alhambra and the Mezquita of Cordoba, and became steadily more interested in their mathematical structure.
Escher's art became well known among scientists and mathematicians, and in popular culture, especially after it was featured by Martin Gardner in his April 1966 Mathematical Games column in Scientific American. Apart from being used in a variety of technical papers, his work has appeared on the covers of many books and albums. He was one of the major inspirations of Douglas Hofstadter's Pulitzer Prize-winning 1979 book Gödel, Escher, Bach.

th
800px-Maurits_Cornelis_Escher.jpg
th

487a68f19fe5104f3536c570f06b117b.jpg
th
th

85faefc7d830728b083f1ce2c1e1a6ff--escher-art-mathematics.jpg
th
th
th
697c6826bf66f3a96b20a806033a03cf--opt-art-art-plastique.jpg

Some books about M. C. Escher's graphic works:

th
th
th
th
th
th

Years ago, one of my friends in the Casper (Wyoming) Artist's Guild said a friend of hers found an original Escher at a flea market. (Trying not to be jealous).
The discussions that followed alerted me to the difference one man made in the world of optical illusionary art. *sigh* Me being a lowly fiber artist who specialized in quilt making donated a quilt to be a fundraiser by filling out a name and address on a piece of paper, folding it, and putting it into a jar to be drawn by a certain date. Several months later I got this amazing thank-you from the Artists' guild thanking me for the $2000 the quilt raffle earned their causes, which paid the summer's rent for their gallery. I swear my head swelled up for at least a year. *sigh* But knew the success was due to one lady who owned a business and sold a lot of $1. raffle ticket. And many people in Casper bought tickets by the handfuls, hoping to increase their chances of winning the quilt AND supporting the Art Guild of Casper. Unfortunately, a few of them complained to me when some lady from Worland, WY, who bought only one ticket won the quilt. I loved those people who helped the artists keep hanging on to their teaching gallery for another season, for which I deserve so little thanks for all the years that passed by that I simply visited meetings so seldomly. But that one little thank you note made my 200 hours put into that quilt that was raffled will shine forever in my heart and love for the arts and people who give up everything else to do beautiful works that other people will enjoy as part of their living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, hallways, et cetera. A lot of artists barely make it through life without a huge debt they took out to provide food for their families. I love them.

Last edited:
Anyone done this yet?. It is really amazing.

Cross your eyes slightly until you see three O's, and bring it into focus. The image will pop out of the screen so far that you can put your finger behind the 3D image that is created. Amazing science.
Yep, I did, but I can't remember what thread I put it on at least 10 or 11 years ago, maybe 12. My moniker was freedombecki back then. I took a sabbatical 2 years when my husband was dying, the funeral, and the empty months in my life after that. When I got back here, I couldn't remember where I put my ID code. So I changed from one nickname to another, so I used a friend's middle name that I've never seen anywhere else, so now I'm beautress, which sounds young, but I'm really just another ol' lady who will be single forever since the best man on the planet passed away. :rolleyes-41:

Here's the Granddaddy of all the optical illusionists in the art world... my daughter really went nuts over this guy when we came back from the Netherlands with a book on M.C. Escher. There was an entire art shop dedicated to M.C. Escher et al in Amsterdam... or wherever we were when I flipped after seeing one of his works in the store window...
Found these examples of his work on "Search."

The first time I saw this one way back when, I kept thinking "What
am I looking at? The year may have been 1968, when MC. Escher
was still alive. He lived from 19 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Relativity" MC Escher
th
th

Here's a brief bio of M.C. Escher's professional life, from Wikipedia:

M. C. Escher​

72 languages
This is a good article. Click here for more information.

Page semi-protected

Listen to this article
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M. C. Escher
Black-and-white photograph of Escher in November 1971
Escher in 1971
BornMaurits Cornelis Escher
17 June 1898
Leeuwarden, Netherlands
Died27 March 1972 (aged 73)
Hilversum, Netherlands
Resting placeBaarn, Netherlands
Education
Known for
Notable work
SpouseJetta Umiker

(m. 1924)
Children3
Parent
AwardsKnight (1955) and Officer (1967) of the Order of Orange-Nassau
Websitewww.mcescher.com
Maurits Cornelis Escher (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmʌurɪt͡s kɔrˈneːlɪs ˈɛʃər]; 17 June 1898 – 27 March 1972) was a Dutch graphic artist who made mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints. Despite wide popular interest, Escher was for most of his life neglected in the art world, even in his native Netherlands. He was 70 before a retrospective exhibition was held. In the late twentieth century, he became more widely appreciated, and in the twenty-first century he has been celebrated in exhibitions around the world.
His work features mathematical objects and operations including impossible objects, explorations of infinity, reflection, symmetry, perspective, truncated and stellated polyhedra, hyperbolic geometry, and tessellations. Although Escher believed he had no mathematical ability, he interacted with the mathematicians George Pólya, Roger Penrose, Harold Coxeter and crystallographer Friedrich Haag, and conducted his own research into tessellation.
Early in his career, he drew inspiration from nature, making studies of insects, landscapes, and plants such as lichens, all of which he used as details in his artworks. He traveled in Italy and Spain, sketching buildings, townscapes, architecture and the tilings of the Alhambra and the Mezquita of Cordoba, and became steadily more interested in their mathematical structure.
Escher's art became well known among scientists and mathematicians, and in popular culture, especially after it was featured by Martin Gardner in his April 1966 Mathematical Games column in Scientific American. Apart from being used in a variety of technical papers, his work has appeared on the covers of many books and albums. He was one of the major inspirations of Douglas Hofstadter's Pulitzer Prize-winning 1979 book Gödel, Escher, Bach.

th
800px-Maurits_Cornelis_Escher.jpg
th

487a68f19fe5104f3536c570f06b117b.jpg
th
th

85faefc7d830728b083f1ce2c1e1a6ff--escher-art-mathematics.jpg
th
th
th
697c6826bf66f3a96b20a806033a03cf--opt-art-art-plastique.jpg

Some books about M. C. Escher's graphic works:

th
th
th
th
th
th

Years ago, one of my friends in the Casper (Wyoming) Artist's Guild said a friend of hers found an original Escher at a flea market. (Trying not to be jealous).
The discussions that followed alerted me to the difference one man made in the world of optical illusionary art. *sigh* Me being a lowly fiber artist who specialized in quilt making donated a quilt to be a fundraiser by filling out a name and address on a piece of paper, folding it, and putting it into a jar to be drawn by a certain date. Several months later I got this amazing thank-you from the Artists' guild thanking me for the $2000 the quilt raffle earned their causes, which paid the summer's rent for their gallery. I swear my head swelled up for at least a year. *sigh* But knew the success was due to one lady who owned a business and sold a lot of $1. raffle ticket. And many people in Casper bought tickets by the handfuls, hoping to increase their chances of winning the quilt AND supporting the Art Guild of Casper. Unfortunately, a few of them complained to me when some lady from Worland, WY, who bought only one ticket won the quilt. I loved those people who helped the artists keep hanging on to their teaching gallery for another season, for which I deserve so little thanks for all the years that passed by that I simply visited meetings so seldomly. But that one little thank you note made my 200 hours put into that quilt that was raffled will shine forever in my heart and love for the arts and people who give up everything else to do beautiful works that other people will enjoy as part of their living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, hallways, et cetera. A lot of artists barely make it through life without a huge debt they took out to provide food for their families. I love them.
Thanks. I have lots of large prints of Escher works and one of the books you posted. I think I wore out my Escher T-shirt long ago.

I don't know if he started it, but he sure did master the "impossible figures," like the one you posted...

1675730708271.png

And now people are making them in three dimensions (which only work from one vantage point, but still amazing). I have included at least a couple of examples in this thread (posts 23 & 25).

Most people have probably seen this one....

5-Escher-Waterfall_0.jpg

I think it is absolutely fabulous. It includes not only an impossible figure, but also water flowing uphill (downhill?) creating a perpetual motion machine and free energy.

It's a masterpiece, IMO.

PS: Regarding you late husband... Very sorry to hear that, but he is probably watching from above with a big smile on his face. I love my wife like you love your husband. If only everyone could be as fortunate as us to experience such a loving and committed relationship.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Nothing is actually moving except the stick figure running in place.

The color flashes all-at-once; you can confirm by pausing it (windows key - shift - s on a PC).

Yet motion is perceived upwards, to the right, and downwards simultaneously.

Explain it if you can. All I can think of is that that the tiny outlines matter a lot, and we are wired to see movement like that, so we do.

zsuormkf1z061.gif

I think the borders of the shapes has something to do with it. The border color changes. So if the shape is red, then the right is blue and the left is yellow, which I'd guess without doing too much research is the left color is the color to come, and the right color the color that came before.
So there is color movement towards the right, and this is what you see and it makes movement for the eye.

Paper dragon that displays the hollow-mask illusion.

Appears to turn its head to follow you as you move around in front of it.

Print one of the attached .PDF files to make your own.

Attachments

• green_dragon.pdf
    576.5 KB · Views: 14
  • red_dragon.pdf
    564.7 KB · Views: 13
  • blue_dragon.pdf
    243.4 KB · Views: 13
Nothing is actually moving except the stick figure running in place.

The color flashes all-at-once; you can confirm by pausing it (windows key - shift - s on a PC).

Yet motion is perceived upwards, to the right, and downwards simultaneously.

Explain it if you can. All I can think of is that that the tiny outlines matter a lot, and we are wired to see movement like that, so we do.

zsuormkf1z061.gif
I can explain it.

It's a brain thing. What you're looking at is called "phase coding".

If you look carefully you'll find the color traveling across the picture like a wave.

If you want to learn all about phase coding in the brain, google "phase coding hippocampus".

The main difference is hippocampus works off theta waves, whereas visual cortex has alpha, which is a slightly higher frequency.

Yeah, something like that, but the colors change at the same speeds.

Certainly has to do with the color changes which happen all at once.
The frames look like this...

View attachment 653432View attachment 653433

The key is in the fine detail of the border contrast.

This guy is "moving" upwards..

View attachment 653450 View attachment 653460

This guy is "moving" downwards...

View attachment 653453 View attachment 653461

It's pretty obvious what is going on when it is paused and zoomed.

It's the "reverse phi" effect. If a dark point become light, we perceive motion away from the point.
You can clearly see the small phase differences in the colors.

I can explain it.

It's a brain thing. What you're looking at is called "phase coding".

If you look carefully you'll find the color traveling across the picture like a wave.

If you want to learn all about phase coding in the brain, google "phase coding hippocampus".

The main difference is hippocampus works off theta waves, whereas visual cortex has alpha, which is a slightly higher frequency.
You are onto something, but your statement that the color is traveling across the picture like a wave is demonstrably false. See post 39. Those are screenshots.

Regards,
Jim

You are onto something, but your statement that the color is traveling across the picture like a wave is demonstrably false. See post 39. Those are screenshots.

Regards,
Jim

Of course they are. Your eye does screen shots too. About twice a second. They're called micro-saccades.

In addition there is drift between saccades, and tremor during the drift at about 85 Hz.

Of course they are. Your eye does screen shots too. About twice a second. They're called micro-saccades.

In addition there is drift between saccades, and tremor during the drift at about 85 Hz.
Um, no.

There is motion perceived upwards, downwards and sideways. The effect is then undoubtedly not caused by the refresh of the display be slightly longer than instantaneous.

The perceived motion is explained in Post 39. The effect is caused by the subtle outline shading, as clearly demonstrated in the Post 39 screenshots I took.

Regards,
Jim

Um, no.

There is motion perceived upwards, downwards and sideways. The effect is then undoubtedly not caused by the refresh of the display be slightly longer than instantaneous.

The perceived motion is explained in Post 39. The effect is caused by the subtle outline shading, as clearly demonstrated in the Post 39 screenshots I took.

Regards,
Jim

Outline shading = color phase

(Duh, but perhaps not obvious to some).

Outline "shading" is the same image displaced by a tiny amount and recolored.

Glance at this image and notice the yellow circle...

68067345-11789503-What_do_you_see_This_optical_illusion_is_tricking_your_eye_into_-a-13_1677954305151.jpg

It's actually black and white.

Glance at this image and notice the yellow circle...

68067345-11789503-What_do_you_see_This_optical_illusion_is_tricking_your_eye_into_-a-13_1677954305151.jpg

It's actually black and white.
Yes. That comes from the contrast enhancement in the color system.

Your brain basically splits up each image into "overlapping maps" that are aligned topographically. So you have an orientation map, a color map, a motion map, and so on. (It is this way because each feature has an important function, for example a velocity map is very important for tracking prey, and not so important for scrutinizing the fine details of a piece of art).

The primary color receptors in the eye are red and green, but there is also a blue system. The blue system is "different", it has a different purpose and the neurons and connections are different.

Yes. That comes from the contrast enhancement in the color system.

Your brain basically splits up each image into "overlapping maps" that are aligned topographically. So you have an orientation map, a color map, a motion map, and so on. (It is this way because each feature has an important function, for example a velocity map is very important for tracking prey, and not so important for scrutinizing the fine details of a piece of art).

The primary color receptors in the eye are red and green, but there is also a blue system. The blue system is "different", it has a different purpose and the neurons and connections are different.
Thanks. I have not researched this illusion, but I think there is a simpler explanation.

1677979831884.png

1. Most importantly, most of the image is blue. This tires the blue receptors and we see a false yellow-ish image as a result of eye movements - even ever so tiny ones.

This image below doesn't do it, because there is not enough blue....

1677980013590.png

2. Also, to a lesser extent, we expect to see cyan and magenta accompanied with yellow.

Regards,
Jim

This image below doesn't do it, because there is not enough blue....

View attachment 762604
But you can see a dark outer ring on the black circle.

Things are never as simple as they seem.

Here:

As you move upwards (centrally) in the visual system, you'll find blue pathways in the pulvinar, directly from the retina. The rest of the stuff connects differently, through the lateral geniculate nucleus. Non-human primates are slightly different from humans that way.

Forum List

Back