This Drug Gets You High and Is Legal (Maybe) Across the Country

Texas has one of the most restrictive medical marijuana laws in the country, with sales allowed only by prescription for a handful of conditions.

That has not stopped Lukas Gilkey, chief executive of Hometown Hero CBD, based in Austin. His company sells joints, blunts, gummy bears, vaping devices and tinctures that offer a recreational high. In fact, business is booming online as well, where he sells to many people in other states with strict marijuana laws.

But Gilkey said that he is no outlaw and that he is not selling marijuana, just a close relation. He is offering products with a chemical compound — Delta-8-THC — extracted from hemp. It is only slightly chemically different from Delta 9, which is the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

And that small distinction, it turns out, may make a big difference in the eyes of the law. Under federal law, psychoactive Delta 9 is explicitly outlawed. But Delta-8-THC from hemp is not, a loophole that some entrepreneurs say allows them to sell it in many states where hemp possession is legal. The number of customers “coming into Delta 8 is staggering,” Gilkey said.

There is a loophole. Depending on where you live that may not be for long.

In my personal opinion marijuana should be legalized across the country...
Ok. Why?

The war on drugs has been a losing battle since the banning of marijuana and the reality is it would cost less to treat addicts than put them into jail.

Also the loophole you write about shouldn’t be messed with and should be left alone allowing people a legal way to obtain a forof the narcotic.

Now if it is found the alternate form is dangerous then of course it would need to be banned but marijuana is not dangerous and loopholes should be needed to be able to obtain and use it.

The money wasted yearly on keeping marijuana illegal can be used for more important things and also it would bring down the convictions and keep people out of jail...

Texas has one of the most restrictive medical marijuana laws in the country, with sales allowed only by prescription for a handful of conditions.

That has not stopped Lukas Gilkey, chief executive of Hometown Hero CBD, based in Austin. His company sells joints, blunts, gummy bears, vaping devices and tinctures that offer a recreational high. In fact, business is booming online as well, where he sells to many people in other states with strict marijuana laws.

But Gilkey said that he is no outlaw and that he is not selling marijuana, just a close relation. He is offering products with a chemical compound — Delta-8-THC — extracted from hemp. It is only slightly chemically different from Delta 9, which is the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

And that small distinction, it turns out, may make a big difference in the eyes of the law. Under federal law, psychoactive Delta 9 is explicitly outlawed. But Delta-8-THC from hemp is not, a loophole that some entrepreneurs say allows them to sell it in many states where hemp possession is legal. The number of customers “coming into Delta 8 is staggering,” Gilkey said.

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Like, no. That's not how it works. I want to hear his answer.

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Fair enough.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :auiqs.jpg:

Ok. Why?

The war on drugs has been a losing battle since the banning of marijuana and the reality is it would cost less to treat addicts than put them into jail.

Also the loophole you write about shouldn’t be messed with and should be left alone allowing people a legal way to obtain a forof the narcotic.

Now if it is found the alternate form is dangerous then of course it would need to be banned but marijuana is not dangerous and loopholes should be needed to be able to obtain and use it.

The money wasted yearly on keeping marijuana illegal can be used for more important things and also it would bring down the convictions and keep people out of jail...
ok. Try not to hate me. How many convictions are there yearly for marijuana alone? How many people are going to jail solely on a marijuana charge? Low level crap. How much money is wasted on keeping marijuana illegal?

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Fair enough.

I don't mind smaller amounts decriminalized. I don't want to see it legalized . There is a link between marijuana use while pregnant and developmental delays so it's a roll of the dice. Legalize it and tax it does not get rid of the cartels. There will always be a black market due to regulation of potency and price. K. Your turn.

Ok. Why?

ok. Try not to hate me. How many convictions are there yearly for marijuana alone? How many people are going to jail solely on a marijuana charge? Low level crap. How much money is wasted on keeping marijuana illegal?

I never hate you Disir, and even though this article is old and from Huff ~ n ~ Puff maybe it will give you some idea about how much is wasted:

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Fair enough.

I don't mind smaller amounts decriminalized. I don't want to see it legalized . There is a link between marijuana use while pregnant and developmental delays so it's a roll of the dice. Legalize it and tax it does not get rid of the cartels. There will always be a black market due to regulation of potency and price. K. Your turn.

There is always a danger during pregnancy with so much from caffeine to stress and a woman should know the health of her baby is important and if she ( the mother )uses marijuana then she should be held accountable.

Ok. Why?

I never hate you Disir, and even though this article is old and from Huff ~ n ~ Puff maybe it will give you some idea about how much is wasted:
Well, thanks. Ok. The White Paper from Miron. i did laugh out loud that HuffPo had zero problem with the CATO institute when it benefits them.
The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition

I want to look through that.

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Fair enough.

There is always a danger during pregnancy with so much from caffeine to stress and a woman should know the health of her baby is important and if she ( the mother )uses marijuana then she should be held accountable.

That's going to be hard to enforce. How should it be enforced?

Last edited:

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Fair enough.

Adults should make their own personal adult decisions, not governments.

Potency is not an issue. Even "government grown" is quite good, and the government could easily undercut the cartels' profit margins. It is a cheap, plentiful weed and can be sold as a cheap, plentiful weed even with added taxes. The current prices reflect only the legal risk.

Learn from Prohibition. Crime follows forbidden fruit.

The law never, ever prevented teens from obtaining alcohol or weed, and does not now.

The War on Drugs failed long ago. Stop burning money.

Ok. Why?

First, why not?

Fair enough.

Adults should make their own personal adult decisions, not governments.

Potency is not an issue. Even "government grown" is quite good, and the government could easily undercut the cartels' profit margins. It is a cheap, plentiful weed and can be sold as a cheap, plentiful weed even with added taxes. The current prices reflect only the legal risk.

Learn from Prohibition. Crime follows forbidden fruit.

The law never, ever prevented teens from obtaining alcohol or weed, and does not now.

The War on Drugs failed long ago. Stop burning money.
I could drink during Prohibition. I could even get a prescription for it. That built the Walgreens that we know today.
Potency is an issue that is why the black market is flourishing in states like Colorado.

Forum List

Back