Thinking Back To Abraham Lincoln

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
I was just wondering, what if, back in the 1860's, president Lincoln had opened up the borders of the North to a flood of millions of Southerners? Would he have been labeled as aiding and abedding insurrectionists? How would that have been received during those days for allowing that to happen? Wouldn't that be an extreme act of treason, barring him from ever holding office or the presidency again?

They are the most accurate comparison
People who are being abused in their homeland, yearning for freedom. Slaves were Southerners seeking to cross the border.

Just like todays immigrants
The Southern States were in rebellion, but they were not recognized as a separate country. Moving within the US is not immigration.

The Southern States were in rebellion, but they were not recognized as a separate country. Moving within the US is not immigration.
According to the Fugitive Slave Law, it was illegal
Slaves were illegal immigrants streaming across our borders

Last edited:
They were indeed a separate country.

I was just wondering, what if, back in the 1860's, president Lincoln had opened up the borders of the North to a flood of millions of Southerners? Would he have been labeled as aiding and abedding insurrectionists? How would that have been received during those days for allowing that to happen? Wouldn't that be an extreme act of treason, barring him from ever holding office or the presidency again?
Maybe you should stop wondering because in 1860 they had not made the 14th Amendment.

That's silly

We have a pretty good idea from Harry Jaffa's two books.
Your deduciton is ludicrous. It was just such open borders that eventually precipitated the Civil War. Bleeding Kansas resulted from letting anyone come in ,call themself a Kansan,vote for slavery and then LEAVE

Treason was what Douglas did, if anything was.

Douglas’s offenses? He inherited a Mississippi plantation, and 100 slaves, from his wife. During his campaigns for the Senate and the presidency, he employed “abhorrent words towards people of color,”

(The Illinois Central was not just profitable for Chicago, it was profitable for Douglas, too: shortly after moving to the city, he began buying up lakefront property, sixteen acres of which he sold to the new railroad for $21,320.)

The Kansas-Nebraska Act, which Douglas authored and sponsored, is remembered as a scheme for opening the territories to slavery. In fact, it was Douglas’s scheme for overcoming Southern opposition to a railroad that would follow a Northern route to the Pacific—a route that would, of course, embark from Chicago, and run through Nebraska Territory, which had been designated as free soil by the Missouri Compromise of 1820.

We have a pretty good idea from Harry Jaffa's two books.
Your deduciton is ludicrous. It was just such open borders that eventually precipitated the Civil War. Bleeding Kansas resulted from letting anyone come in ,call themself a Kansan,vote for slavery and then LEAVE

Treason was what Douglas did, if anything was.

Douglas’s offenses? He inherited a Mississippi plantation, and 100 slaves, from his wife. During his campaigns for the Senate and the presidency, he employed “abhorrent words towards people of color,”

(The Illinois Central was not just profitable for Chicago, it was profitable for Douglas, too: shortly after moving to the city, he began buying up lakefront property, sixteen acres of which he sold to the new railroad for $21,320.)

The Kansas-Nebraska Act, which Douglas authored and sponsored, is remembered as a scheme for opening the territories to slavery. In fact, it was Douglas’s scheme for overcoming Southern opposition to a railroad that would follow a Northern route to the Pacific—a route that would, of course, embark from Chicago, and run through Nebraska Territory, which had been designated as free soil by the Missouri Compromise of 1820.
Lincoln himself often said that he didn't think Blacks would ever amount to anything.

Lincoln himself often said that he didn't think Blacks would ever amount to anything.
I know Lincoln as well as any non-Lincoln-scholar does and I know that is false.
Where is your citation.

August 1, 1858[?: Definition of Democracy

This is perhaps Lincoln's most succinct description of his beliefs on democracy and slavery.

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy.

I'm an avid reader of books on Lincoln, factual books, not opinion pieces. I have read many and read it in one of those. Don't know which one as I have read many.
Can you show one quote that blacks would never amount to anything?

Can you show one quote that blacks would never amount to anything?
This is going to have to do, although one of my books did say that Lincoln believed that "negroes" would never amount to anything due to their lack of education and prospects of ever being educated to the degree white people were, which, can be said is still true, even today, to some extent. We have had places all over the country dumbing down education in order to make it easier for blacks to get better grades.

This is going to have to do, although one of my books did say that Lincoln believed that "negroes" would never amount to anything due to their lack of education and prospects of ever being educated to the degree white people were, which, can be said is still true, even today, to some extent. We have had places all over the country dumbing down education in order to make it easier for blacks to get better grades.

It was a different era….

You would find very few who would claim negroes were just as capable as whites. Frederick Douglass was held up as an example that negroes could be intellectual
Lincoln was one of the more tolerant of the era who believed a man deserves the fruit of his labor

Southern fears of what Lincoln would do as President when it came to slavery led to Secession

Last edited:

Forum List

Back