Thinking about buying a bike

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
It's been eons since I've owned a bike. Need something, cruiser style that I can use around town and for occasional highway riding and I'm (unfortunately) a big guy so anything under 1100ccs would probably not cut it. Limited budget also, under $6K so obviously used is the best way to go. Currently looking at a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 Custom but afraid 1800ccs might be a little big for around town.

623b8bbb321bdf21b5673a07.jpg

623cdb487f378b67b960a3ac.jpg

It's been eons since I've owned a bike. Need something, cruiser style that I can use around town and for occasional highway riding and I'm (unfortunately) a big guy so anything under 1100ccs would probably not cut it. Limited budget also, under $6K so obviously used is the best way to go. Currently looking at a 2002 Honda VTX 1800 Custom but afraid 1800ccs might be a little big for around town.

623b8bbb321bdf21b5673a07.jpg

623cdb487f378b67b960a3ac.jpg
Been riding for nearly 60 years. Gold Wings for the last 35. If you can get that VTX for $6K, I'd say go for it. You can't beat Honda dependability.

Ringel05

Were the same age... I commend you for even thinking about getting out there on a Bike... I don't have the balls anymore to ride in an urban environment... There is just 1 to many crazy phuckers out there driving one ton + killing machines... If I lived in a rural setting, maybe...
If you pull the trigger, pls be safe...

Ringel05

Were the same age... I commend you for even thinking about getting out there on a Bike... I don't have the balls anymore to ride in an urban environment... There is just 1 to many crazy phuckers out there driving one ton + killing machines... If I lived in a rural setting, maybe...
If you pull the trigger, pls be safe...
When I rode last it was in Northern Virginia........ Now that's crazy, 100 times the number of drivers on the road compared to here. I learned very quickly to ride defensively and that saved me about 5 or 6 times minimum. Ya don't forget that.

I had a very limited Motorcycle experience when I was young... A good friend of mine had a '68' 650 BSA lightening... He needed a $1000.00 for a short period of time. I had the money squirreled away from previous clandestine pharmaceutical deal... He insisted when he took the money, that I take the Bike and title, and he made me promise to treat it like I owned it... Had the Bike almost 3 months... It was all right, but because of weather being the way it is in Indiana, never fell completely in love with Bike riding... Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I was always more of a Pick-up truck fellar...
Almost 3 months later I got my money back and Denny got his Bike back and everybody shickled teatless

I'm from the gen X generation.

I retired my street motorcycle years ago when it became very apparent that the roads were becoming overcrowded with millennial kids who are so high and/or busy staring at their phone that they don't bother to look when they pull into traffic and boomers who try to look, but they are so old that they cannot see you anyways even if they look.

FROM THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE: Don't pay more than $5k.

You don't need 1800cc. The Honda VTX 1800 is very heavy and ponderous, especially around your driveway and parking lots. The VTX 1300 is the far better choice.

Do you plan to take a rider (wife) with you? The ONLY time when you need "a lot of power" is when you are riding two-up on the highway, with stuff in your bags and need to quickly pass a truck going 70. If you will not experience that specific need, then you don't need a big bike (over 1000cc's.).

Best cruisers to look at are the Yamaha's and Kawasaki's, 900cc's and 1300cc's. They are great bikes, reasonably priced, and usually have been equipped with all the "stuff" you will want if you buy them used. If you are determined to get a bigger bike LOOK AT A KAWASAKI NOMAD. They are great bikes, fully equipped, and can be had for next to nothing. $3,500 is not unusual.

If you are a big guy, you will want both floorboards and highway pegs (bars). But again, if you will be riding by yourself, one of the Japanese 900's (some of which were made in the U.S.) will be more than adequate for your needs.

Look for a 6-speed if you are going to travel on the highway. At 70mph, some of the 5-speeds are a little buzzy.

Check on cycle trader and Moto hunt. Also, check your local craigslist. For a more interesting way of finding a bike, once you have zeroed in on a particular model, go to Google IMAGES, and plug in the model. Many of the pictures will be ads for that bike that you won't find in a traditional search.

Exhibit A: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Yamaha-V+STAR+1100-5019700530

Exhibit B: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Kawasaki-Vulcan®+900+Classic+LT-5020470724

Heavy bike man. Thats for sure.
I wouldnt give 6 for that bike though. You can find some clean ones much cheaper. These arent expensive bikes.
I commend you for wanting to get back into it! Nothing like getting on the road and everything just washes away.

FROM THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE: Don't pay more than $5k.

You don't need 1800cc. The Honda VTX 1800 is very heavy and ponderous, especially around your driveway and parking lots. The VTX 1300 is the far better choice.

Do you plan to take a rider (wife) with you? The ONLY time when you need "a lot of power" is when you are riding two-up on the highway, with stuff in your bags and need to quickly pass a truck going 70. If you will not experience that specific need, then you don't need a big bike (over 1000cc's.).

Best cruisers to look at are the Yamaha's and Kawasaki's, 900cc's and 1300cc's. They are great bikes, reasonably priced, and usually have been equipped with all the "stuff" you will want if you buy them used. If you are determined to get a bigger bike LOOK AT A KAWASAKI NOMAD. They are great bikes, fully equipped, and can be had for next to nothing. $3,500 is not unusual.

If you are a big guy, you will want both floorboards and highway pegs (bars). But again, if you will be riding by yourself, one of the Japanese 900's (some of which were made in the U.S.) will be more than adequate for your needs.

Look for a 6-speed if you are going to travel on the highway. At 70mph, some of the 5-speeds are a little buzzy.

Check on cycle trader and Moto hunt. Also, check your local craigslist. For a more interesting way of finding a bike, once you have zeroed in on a particular model, go to Google IMAGES, and plug in the model. Many of the pictures will be ads for that bike that you won't find in a traditional search.

Exhibit A: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Yamaha-V+STAR+1100-5019700530

Exhibit B: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Kawasaki-Vulcan®+900+Classic+LT-5020470724
You're right, I don't need anything that big. I'm 5'7" and I need to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when stopped so that's another concern. I did find a Suzuki Boulevard M50 (819cc) for cheap, under $3k but not all that sure about Suzukis or if 819cc is too small.

Look at some videos (Youtube) of SRK CYCLES. He goes into great detail in explaining what bikes are satisfactory for a bug guy. I like the Suzuki Volusia and its M50 successor - I forget what they call it. The M50LT or something.

Look at some videos (Youtube) of SRK CYCLES. He goes into great detail in explaining what bikes are satisfactory for a bug guy. I like the Suzuki Volusia and its M50 successor - I forget what they call it. The M50LT or something.
I've been watching some of his vids. But remember I can only buy what is available in my price range. I did find a 2012 Honda Cruiser Motorcycle INTERSTATE VT1300CT but they want $7500 for it.
622f7d4f4122e11d411594d3.jpg

6232164c74dddc2c9e5b2f49.jpg

Found a private seller (Craig's List - I know, be careful) 2008 V-Star 1100, dealer maintained w/records, he wants $4500.

Forum List

Back