They Were Wrong Then, And They're Wrong Now

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Adam's Apple, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    History has a way of repeating itself. Will we let it happen again?

American Leftists Were Pol Pot's Cheerleaders
    By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe

The death of Pol Pot, 23 years to the day after he and the Khmer Rouge seized control of Cambodia, occasioned long backward glances at one of the 20th century's most horrific genocides. It was noted everywhere that the communist reign of terror in Cambodia lasted nearly four years and that at least 1 million human beings -- by some estimates as many as 2 1/2 million -- were murdered in an orgy of executions, torture, and starvation.

"In the name of a radical utopia,'' The New York Times recalled in its long obituary, "the Khmer Rouge regime had turned most of the people into slaves. . . . Dictatorial village leaders and soldiers told the people whom to marry and how to live, and those who disobeyed were killed. [Those] who did not bend to the political mania were buried alive, or tossed into the air and speared on bayonets. Some were fed to crocodiles.'' Nearby was a photograph of human skulls -- emblem of the dreadful "killing fields'' in which the communists butchered a quarter of Cambodia's people.

But nowhere in the Times story was there a reminder that the Khmer Rouge was able to seize power only after the US Congress in 1975 cut off all aid to the embattled pro-American government of Lon Nol -- and that it did so despite frantic warnings of the bloodbath that would ensue. President Ford warned of "horror and tragedy'' if Cambodia was abandoned to the Khmer Rouge and pleaded with Congress to supply Lon Nol's army with the tools it needed to defend itself.

for full article:
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...american_leftists_were_pol_pots_cheerleaders/

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    It will happen again and again and again, as long as the liberals control the MSM and have any power in Congress.

3. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Oh really?

"The resolution picked up steam Wednesday after more than a half a DOZEN House Republicans said they would vote for it.

Rep. Ric Keller, R-Florida, said he approached his decision "with a great deal of angst and humility," but ultimately could not stand behind the president's plan.

"I have listened to what our most well-respected four-star generals have to say about this matter," he said. And many "said that sending more troops into Baghdad is not the answer."

Half DOZEN true republicans, voting on the democratic resolution in congress. Its not just the Dems GLOCK, its everyone, who disagrees with the funding of this "surge".

cnn.com

4. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Its meaningless, non-binding. And it hurts troop morale. Typical liberal pap.

5. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

blah blah blah..."hurts troop morale" blah blah blah....

so what? are we to stop the solemn duty of debating the wisdom of our foreign policy for fear of bruising the ego of our fighting men? Are we to continue - like the charge of the light brigade - deeper and deeper into a no-win situation that is counterproductive to our national security because we don't want to upset those boys acting as the tip of the spear? It is specifically because we have young men and women in harm's way that the debate is that much more important.

In all my years in the navy, there were plenty of times when the politicians and the public debated the mission of the military.... that had little or no effect on my morale. I did what they national command authority told me to do until they told me to stop doing that and do something else.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I have become convinced that Liberals have sided with the enemy of these great United States.

7. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

why should I give a shit what you have become convinced of? especially when it is so far from the truth as far as I am concerned?

I have become convinced that the boneheaded bunch of morons running this country right now are leading us over the precipice and straight into HELL.

Do you care about THAT opinion?

8. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    and if you ask me, the doorway that leads to that precipice, which leads to HELL, is in Iraq.

thanks a lot for waving pompoms for such an inept, incompetent moron as George Dubya Bush.

10. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    More reasonable statments from a deep thinker. :cuckoo: