They Should Have Hired Joni

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
I assume the crème de la crème of Beltway sharpshooters and media stooges attended the White House Correspondents’ Dinner. The reviews are in. Based on the one article I read, the affair was a howling success to everyone who was there, and a colossal bust to everyone else:

We warned you not to expect much from tonight’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner. And true to form it failed to deliver. Bland to a fault Conan O’Brien didn’t lay a glove on celebrity-in-chief Barack Obama.

President Slams Media But Conan Softballs Obama At Lame WH Correspondents Dinner
By NIKKI FINKE AND DOMINIC PATTEN | Saturday April 27, 2013 @ 8:24pm PDT

White House Correspondents? Dinner: The Barack & Conan Show

Festive government functions where every attendee feels important simply because they are there hold little interest for most Americans living in the hinterland. Last night’s shindig must have been especially painful for the participants. Telling unfunny jokes in an effort to make Hussein look like a prince of a fellow surely taxed “comedy” writers beyond the breaking point. Had Joni been emcee they could have skipped the jokes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUeAmWKBSc&feature=player_detailpage]Joni James - Too Marvelous For Words (With Lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]​

I don’t know how many Americans watched the show last night. I doubt if it beat the weather channel in the ratings. No matter. Clips of the event will permeate the boob tube for at least a day. In their view the only thing better than being there is to watch it on TV.

Every Beltway gathering on the public’s dime is annoying, but none so annoying as the Correspondents’ Dinner. I just can’t get one thing out of my noggin. Members of a free press should be the mortal enemies of politicians. To me, warm and cozy between journalists and the government is an ethical violation of the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The government justified putting more than 40,000 laws on the books in violation of the Second Amendment. I suggest but one law for a free press: Prohibit journalists from playing nice with elected officials. My justification: Journalists stooging for the government is infinitely more destructive than is all of the guns in the hands of law-abiding Americans.

Finally, just think what my law would do to candidates running for elected offices! The prospect of Joni singing this one to wannabes is too delicious to contemplate:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WRuZnSSqXrg]"The Party's Over" Joni James - YouTube[/ame]​

Forum List

Back