They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Peter Jackson has taken unseen film from the War Museum and processed it into something amazingly lifelike. He has added colour and sound and rather than look like vintage clips it looks up to date and modern. The film actually looks like it was taken yesterday.

He is telling the soldiers story from the First World War and presents us with an horrific collection of images. Its as powerful an anti war film as you are likely to see. We have all lost family in that war and this shows what they went through.

The saddest part is that they were at it again 20 years later. We never learn.

I thought the video was pretty cool, but the anti-war message was not really strong at all. I didn't finish watching it, it might have been more noticeable in the last hour I didn't see. I thought it was okay, overall.

I thought the video was pretty cool, but the anti-war message was not really strong at all. I didn't finish watching it, it might have been more noticeable in the last hour I didn't see. I thought it was okay, overall.
Its worth going back to it. The last half hour really hits home. Mud,shit, death, foot rot,rats, it just piles up and up. You are left in no doubt by the end.

I think I posted on this awhile back. (it's been a good while ago). In the end the soldiers are asked what we should learn from the war and the answer was that we should never do something similar ever again. We did not learn. We still haven't learned.

I noted the other day watching the ESPN special on Rocky Bleier going back to Vietnam and the end of it was the same. It was not worth it. We didn't learn.

Peter Jackson has taken unseen film from the War Museum and processed it into something amazingly lifelike. He has added colour and sound and rather than look like vintage clips it looks up to date and modern. The film actually looks like it was taken yesterday.

He is telling the soldiers story from the First World War and presents us with an horrific collection of images. Its as powerful an anti war film as you are likely to see. We have all lost family in that war and this shows what they went through.

The saddest part is that they were at it again 20 years later. We never learn.
Thank Dog for the nuclear deterrent that has made full scale war prohibitive for nearly 80 years.

Can it work for another 5 or 10 years throughout a change in world power?

We have nothing else to believe in now. Unless you're a mad hatter Christian who believes a god is at the helm!

Thank Dog for the nuclear deterrent that has made full scale war prohibitive for nearly 80 years.

Can it work for another 5 or 10 years throughout a change in world power?

We have nothing else to believe in now. Unless you're a mad hatter Christian who believes a god is at the helm!
You would like to think we know better but we end up being governed by politicians who dont give a shit.

Forum List

Back