They call it art

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
World's best art piece? A urinal
Thursday, December 2, 2004 Posted: 7:42 AM EST (1242 GMT)

Duchamp's urinal beat out works by Picasso, Warhol and Matisse.

LONDON, England -- It may seem like toilet humor, but a porcelain urinal -- signed by an artist almost 90 years ago -- has been voted the most influential work of modern art.

"Fountain" -- an ordinary white porcelain urinal, slightly titled and bearing the autograph of French surrealist Marcel Duchamp -- beat out works by such icons as Pablo Picasso and Andy Warhol in a survey of 500 leaders of the art world.

Duchamp's piece, which shocked critics when it was unveiled in 1917, was selected ahead of Picasso's "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" and "Guernica" -- chosen second and fourth, respectively -- as the most influential work of art.

Warhol's screen prints of Marilyn Monroe came third in the poll, with Henri Matisse's "The Red Studio" placing fifth.

The survey was conducted by Gordon's Gin, which sponsors the Turner Prize, Britain's leading art award.

"The choice of Duchamp's Fountain as the most influential work of modern art ahead of works by Picasso and Matisse comes as a bit of a shock," art expert Simon Wilson told the UK's Press Association.

"But it reflects the dynamic nature of art today and the idea that the creative process that goes into a work of art is the most important thing. The work itself can be made of anything and can take any form."

Duchamp pioneered the use of everyday objects as art. His ideas shocked the art establishment but sparked a revolution that has influenced many contemporary artists.

Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin -- both recipients of the Turner Prize -- have similarly shocked and challenged the art world with their recent works using ordinary objects.

The winner of this year's Turner Prize will be announced Tuesday.

My Daughter did this about 8 months ago...White&Black Charcoal.
14910_ART 001 (5).jpg

Mr. P said:
My Daughter did this about 8 months ago...White&Black Charcoal.

That's a pretty drawing, and sure it's art.

But it's not even remotely "influential".

The point of Duchamps work is not the subject matter, but the statement it mad e and the resultant impact on the world of art that resonated even today through post-modernism.

The article cited in this thread is not talking about pretty art, or nice art, or popular art, or art for dentist offices. The article is talking about influential art, that is, art that has a profound influence on other artists and art movements.

Regards,

Andy

CivilLiberty said:

The point of Duchamps work is not the subject matter, but the statement it mad e and the resultant impact on the world of art that resonated even today through post-modernism.

The article cited in this thread is not talking about pretty art, or nice art, or popular art, or art for dentist offices. The article is talking about influential art, that is, art that has a profound influence on other artists and art movements.

Regards,

Andy
EVERYONE knows art has to age--give it time!

I know it's a rose but if you look close...
it kinda looks like there is a ring wraith in the middle.

CivilLiberty said:

Regards,

Andy
How can you say it's not influential???
influential could be anything....
Art imitates life.

The thing about art is that anything can be art...and anything can be total crap...its all about you...

So somebody signed a urinal and called it art...so what...you don't have to think of it as art if you don't want to...but the fact of the matter is...someone else, plenty of people in fact, DO think its art.

"Well, ANYBODY could sign a urinal and call it art then." Is the usual cry...and guess what...THATS RIGHT! Anyone could do that...but they didn't...only this guy did...

The title of this topic is "They call it art." and that is absolutely true...they do call it art...you don't have to...maybe you think that Monet represents the most wonderful artist of all time...perhaps you think it doesn't get any better than a velvet painting of Elvis...you will find people who disagree with you and people who don't...ain't art beautiful.... (just like your daughter's work, Mr. P...what a talent!!! just prepare yourself for the day she decides to experiment...signs the family dog and calls it a masterpiece!).

I agree with CivilLiberty, the discussion...if it is true to the original article posted...shouldn't be about whether or not we like the piece so much as whether or not we think it is the most influential....unless we are simply discussing whether or not a signed urinal is art...and if thats the case then my vote is yes, absolutely, its art. (I don't like it...although I find it hysterical...which in itself is something...but its art). :dance:

A guy was telling me and my bandmates about this gorgeous painting he'd just bought - an "Elvis on Velvet". We were trying to be nice about it, but you know how that goes - there's a smartass in every crowd. The poor guy had just finished saying, "Yeah - you can get one of these up at this place in Franklin" when my piano player deadpanned, "Yeah - I think I've bought gas at that museum." So much for keeping a straight face.

True you can sign a urinal and call it art, but it ain't. True anyone could sign a urinal
and call it art, but they don't, cuz nobody will buy it. And I doubt many would ever proudly
display it in their living room for all to see as art. And don't make fun of my Velvet Elvis again.
I display it above the fireplace, next to my trophy mounted buck, just in case he might drop by
someday!

I guess I've finally come to understand what the "liberal arts" are all about.
Liberal, anything goes. How reflective of a segment of society, huh?

It's true that I don't have to like it, but I think what's more true is
a pile of dog poop on a square piece of paper being called art is...
well, just a pile of crap, not art. A signed urinal is a signed urinal, not art.
Having someone urinate on an object or person and calling it art, is not art.
Taking a blank canvas and creating the Mona Lisa is art, the Sisteen Chapel is art,
Norman Rockwell produced art. You get the drift.

As far as my daughter signing the dog and calling it a masterpiece...
She did that at age five...At five, like this Duchamp guy and so many of these so called artists, she didn't know what ART was either.:D

It's like the red state-blue state issue--if you can't see and declare a urinal as a certified piece of art, your just too stupid.

Okay, I'm going out in the yard, find a dry dog turd, spray paint the thing metal flake gold and tie a red ribbon around it.

Hey CivilLiberty - if you'll let me have your mailing address, I'd love to send you some "art". Offer is good to you too Gem.

:teeth:

Mr. P said:
I guess I've finally come to understand what the "liberal arts" are all about. Liberal, anything goes. How reflective of a segment of society, huh?

It's true that I don't have to like it, but I think what's more true is
a pile of dog poop on a square piece of paper being called art is...
well, just a pile of crap, not art. A signed urinal is a signed urinal, not art.
Having someone urinate on an object or person and calling it art, is not art.

P, I'm sorely disappointed at your lack of knowledge of the art world. You can't just get a pile of poo and put it on a piece of paper and call it art. Everybody knows that. Before you can call it art, you have to invite a bunch of snooty, stuffed shirt liberal diletantes over for a wine and cheese soiree'. After they have oohed and aahed over the shit for fifteen minutes, THEN you can call it art.

Git it raht.

Mr. P said:
I'm a tryin..do ya think home made muscadine wine would go well wit da cheese spread?

Yup, that would be fine. Just make sure you get the good cheese. You know, the stuff in the spray can.

Merlin1047 said:
Okay, I'm going out in the yard, find a dry dog turd, spray paint the thing metal flake gold and tie a red ribbon around it.

Hey CivilLiberty - if you'll let me have your mailing address, I'd love to send you some "art". Offer is good to you too Gem.

:teeth:

My cat likes to eat christmas ribbon, Ill bet when I scoop out the litter box I will find poop with red ribbon in it, very pretty........What do you think the influence of that will be on the Art World?????????

What statement is my cat making, what inner turmoil is she expressing??????????

Forum List

Back