These Schools Reaching Out For Military Vets Have Brilliant Recruiting Departments

Discussion in 'Military' started by longknife, Oct 31, 2012.

1. longknife

longknife Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,575
    by Allison Churchill @ These Schools Reaching Out For Military Vets Have Brilliant Recruiting Departments - Business Insider

http://static3.businessinsider.com/...6-2832/military-college.jpg?maxX=400&maxY=300
    Military College

For some veterans, transitioning from military service to college life is a bigger challenge than they expected.

The wheels of the VA churn slowly, making payments a bit late. Post-traumatic stress disorder can make it hard to pay attention to classes. Many veterans have been halfway around the world before their classmates even left their hometowns.

But a growing number of universities are trying to make life easier for veteran students. The Associated Press reported on a writing workshop for veterans at George Washington University. The two-day seminar aims to teach former service members the therapeutic qualities of writing. But it's hardly the most comprehensive program out there.

At Arizona State University, a doctoral student surveyed student veterans on what programs they needed, and the school ran with her results. Vets told Dana Weber they wanted their own place, somewhere they could go and be around people with similar experiences. They said they wanted a class to help them learn how to take advantage of the school's resources.

In response, ASU built the Pat Tillman Veterans Center on its Tempe campus, putting student and academic support in one place. It also started offering a special orientation class for transitioning veterans.

Another school reaching out to veterans is University of Tampa. Along with also offering a veteran-specific orientation, the college accepts transfer credits from several of the schools troops often take online classes through, such as Central Texas College. The university gives credit for military training and experience. And it also waives the application fee for veterans.

All of these schools made G.I. Jobs magazine's Military Friendly School list, now in its fourth year.

Getting an education on the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill should be a great opportunity for veterans. With a little research, the benefits of college can definitely outweigh the negatives. \

Enough Spent on Welfare Programs in 2011 to Write Every Poor Household a $59,523 Check

by Debbie Right Truth: Enough Spent on Welfare Programs in 2011 to Write Every Poor Household a $59,523 Check

(CNSNews.com) – The federal government spent enough money on federal means-tested welfare programs to have sent each impoverished household a check for nearly $60,000, according to figures from the Census Bureau and the Congressional Research Service (CRS).

According to a report from the CRS produced for Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), $1 trillion was spent on federal welfare programs during fiscal year 2011 – with $746 billion in federal funds and $254 in state matching funds.
    The U.S. Census Bureau reported that there were approximately 16.8 million households living below the federal poverty level of $23,000 per year for a family of four in 2011. ( See:* 2011 Households Below Poverty 2011.pdf )
    If each of the estimated 16.8 million households with income below the poverty level were to have received an equal share of the total welfare spending for fiscal year 2011, they each would have received $59,523.

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Military yankin' the rug out from underneath student veterans...
    :eek:
    Army suspends tuition assistance program for troops
    March 8, 2013 — The Army announced Friday it is suspending its tuition assistance program for soldiers newly enrolling in classes due to sequestration and other budgetary pressures.
    See also:

Marines halt new enrollments in tuition assistance programs; other services could follow
    March 5, 2013 WASHINGTON – Some Marines are scrambling to find ways to pay for classes after a surprise announcement that the Marine Corps has stopped new enrollments in its tuition assistance program.

3. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    College was sure a difficult transition for me. I literally went from the bush in Vietnam to a classroom in less than a week and you can imagine how that played out. I never felt so isolated and different!

And, there were....um,...let's say...events which were quite embarrassing.

For instance, I was sitting at my desk in government class one day concentrating on the lecture and taking notes, when a low flying jet passed over the campus. Apparently, it came from the other side of the building, so I didn't hear it until it was right overhead. In that first fraction of a second, my mind heard it as an incoming 122mm rocket and I headed for the floor instinctively. Unfortunately, I was sitting in one of those wrap around desks and all I managed to do was lurch across the floor dragging the desk with me and scattering books.

They say silence is golden. If that's the case, the silence in that classroom was 24 K.:D

4. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Air Force climbs on the bandwagon...
    :eek:
    Air Force joins Army, Marines in cutting tuition assistance
    March 12, 2013 - The Air Force has joined the Marines and the Army in dropping tuition assistance due to sweeping federal budget cuts.
    See also:

Cuts could affect Army's mental health providers, limit soldiers' access to care
    March 12, 2013 WASHINGTON — The Army could lose a large chunk of its mental health force to furloughs starting next month, limiting access to care for soldiers dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder and other issues.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. longknife

longknife Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,575
    It's all political BS designed to create fear so King Barry Hussein can continue on his agenda of destroying this country! :(

6. ArmyCowboy

ArmyCowboy The Dark Lord

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I had just returned from OIF2 and was at a festival at the base in Germany where I was stationed. They were having a fireworks display (of which I was unaware) and when that first firework went off I dove on the ground in the middle of the beer tent.

Not a moment I like to relive. :lol:

7. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592

Yeah, I can imagine. But...anything done at a bier fest can't be THAT bad! LOL I slipped out early one day and went to one in Nurnberg, a civilian fest in the park next to the old Nazi stadium, and had a ball...until after quitting time and other GI's showed up. After that, it was just one fight and disturbance after another. I left disgusted with my fellow soldiers. Before the drunk GI's stared making trouble, the Germans made room for me at their long tables, put a huge glass of beer in my hand, and we all locked arms and swayed and sang with the "Oompah" bands in their lederhosen. It was fun!

But, that's not the subject, is it?

One day shortly after I got out of the Army, I was leaving a class building really early. I had a 0700 class, but we discovered a note on the door telling us the professor wouldn't be there that day, so I was headed back to the car. It was probably 0630 or 0645. The morning was still and the sun had just come up.

As I walked down the sidewalk, I noticed a very pretty girl coming at me, so I got ready to say good morning to her. Just then, some carpenters somewhere nearby suddenly started driving nails all at once. In heavy, still air of the early morning, my mind heard AK rounds. Without thinking, I dove off into the grass beside the sidewalk, landing on my face. Of course, I realized immediately what I'd done, but it was too late. The beautiful girl just stopped about 20 yards away and stared at me for a moment, then made a huge, sweeping detour out into the grass to avoid getting too close to me and double checked behind her as she ran to the door.

Well, shoot. I guess that's one girl I won't be dating anytime soon! :eek:

By the way, I hate to tell you this but it never goes away. I've hit the floor as recently as only a couple of years ago and it's been more than 40 years since Vietnam.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  8. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Backlash from suspension of tuition assistance programs for military...
    :clap2:
    Suspension of tuition assistance programs under fire from troops, educators
    March 14, 2013 — The suspension of tuition assistance programs for servicemembers has sparked outrage, anxiety and despair.

9. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,881
    Good idea...

VA reform law will push colleges to lower veteran tuition
    August 26, 2014: WASHINGTON — A federal law passed earlier this month directing a massive $16.3-billion overhaul of the troubled Department of Veterans Affairs health care system also aims to put pressure on colleges to lower education costs for veterans.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1