These Air France people make me sick

HorhayAtAMD

Nov 27, 2004
Canada, eh!
This set off a nerve. I might not be able to sleep or dream anymore after reading this.

Survivors of Air France crash may launch class-action suit
Last Updated Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:03:45 EST
CBC News

Some passengers who were on an Air France flight that crashed on landing in Toronto in August want to launch a class-action suit.

Salah Abdulrahim and his parents, who live in Mississauga, are among those involved in the effort. They say that, since the crash, the smallest sound can send the 11-year-old boy into a panic. "I think it's because every day, the plane crash always sticks in my mind and I can't think of anything else but it," Salah said. He has taken up writing a lot of poetry since the crash, all of it dealing with death, and has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. His parents said their lives have been affected as well and they want someone held accountable. WHY? Why do people feel that everything that happens to them is someone else's fault? In some cases, yes, people and companies need to be punished for their incompetence or their damaging actions but the phrase "they want someone held accountable" reeks of the mentality poked fun of by the song "Blame Canada". Sometimes, as shocking as this may sound, accidents happen in which no one is to blame. Deal.

"We lost the joy of life totally, including him," said his mother, Sakina Abdulrahim. "You don't feel like eating. ...Your dreams [are] kind of gone at the time." Gee, I wasn't popular in high school, didn't get many dates, my dreams were gone and I didn't feel like eating. Sounds like I need to find someone to sue!

Lawsuit could set precedent

Their lawyer, Paul Miller, said the lawsuit could set a precedent because airlines currently only compensate for bodily harm, not emotional damage. Miller said he's prepared to carry the fight all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada. "It's not fair to say everyone should be able to just bounce back because let me tell you if they could, they would," said Miller, whose office is in Toronto. And suing the airline is the magic pill to bouncing back? Will the kids be less frightened, will your dreams come back, will you start eating if you win this lawsuit?

"Because no one in Canada gets rich off these types of lawsuits." He said that, at most, passengers such as Adella Bellone would get $135,000 from the airline. Bellone said she doesn't care about the money but wants acknowledgement for what she calls a nightmare. Ahh, so if the airline said "We acknowledge your nightmare.", will you drop the lawsuit? I think everyone here knows the answer to that question.

She said she's kept the clothes she was wearing – complete with streaks of smoke and mud – to convince her boys to never get on a plane. "I will show them the outfit, the pictures, the plane," she said, apologizing as she wiped away tears. "I will take their passports away. They will not fly." Good, so now you can take your emotional trauma and pass it on to your kids? Lady, if you want to do your sons a favor, tell them never to drive because you are MANY more times likely to die in a car accident than in a plane crash. Wait, you didn't die in the plane crash? Then definitely tell your kids not to drive because almost EVERYONE gets into at least one car accident in their lives. We wouldn't want a fender bender to destroy their dreams or anything. :rolleyes:

The Abdulrahims said they only want money to compensate for their lost luggage – and to make a point. "To be left out, to go and do things on our own, without any help from anybody, this is not right," said Salah's father, Hussein Abdulrahim. Priceless, just priceless. What kind of a victim are you who thinks that it isn't right to have to do things on your own? Disgusting.

I'm not suggesting that being in a plane crash wouldn't be traumatizing. I know that if it ever happened to me, I'm sure I would be very shaken and emotional and probably wouldn't ever be able to fly again. However, I just don't see it in me to frantically start searching for someone to sue. Sometimes you do have to go and do things on your own, without any help from anybody. Besides, it sounds like everyone in the story above has family. Wouldn't you turn to them for help? Isn't that what family is for?

Link

it is pretty sickening.
but a 135k... therapy is expensive.
:laugh:
this has been broughtu p a few times on this board, about frivolous law suites and all. pretty much going to be one of the things that bancrupts America

Forum List

Back