There's always the 'Dollar Menu'

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
So how do you save money? Maybe you don't. But if you do, share your tricks.

I save money by slowing spending...

Not increasing it and asking my wife for more to spend. ;)

I make my kids chop wood for the heating during the winter.

And pedal on bicycles during the summer for electricity.

The two year old complains a lot.

LOL. My daughter was off work 2 years. The day she got her Master's she discovered she was pregnant. Couldn't find a job then, and still couldn't until just a few weeks ago. Baby is 15 months old now. She became the 'coupon queen.' I mean big time. Like buying $200 worth of groceries for $50. She left so much food in my freezer this summer when she stayed with me that I didn't have to go to the grocery for 6 weeks and then all I really needed was bread! She still does here couponing, but it is time consuming and the job makes it difficult for her to invest the time it takes to really do it up right. She tried to teach me, but same deal here. Just don't want to spend all my off hours cutting out coupons.

Work two jobs.
Ride my pedal bike to work.
Never eat out.
Shop at goodwill.
Never buy any brand name food, always generic. cupons, cupons, cupons.
Quit smoking six years ago, get as healthy as you can to avoid doctor bills.
Start a garden, get good at canning.
Use only cold water when doing laundry.
Grow a beard to cut down on razors.
Make full use of all vetran military benefits.

Child in college, hopefully realizing the American Dream, before it is taken away.
U of M engineering student.
Currently looking for a third job.

LOL. My daughter was off work 2 years. The day she got her Master's she discovered she was pregnant. Couldn't find a job then, and still couldn't until just a few weeks ago. Baby is 15 months old now. She became the 'coupon queen.' I mean big time. Like buying $200 worth of groceries for $50. She left so much food in my freezer this summer when she stayed with me that I didn't have to go to the grocery for 6 weeks and then all I really needed was bread! She still does here couponing, but it is time consuming and the job makes it difficult for her to invest the time it takes to really do it up right. She tried to teach me, but same deal here. Just don't want to spend all my off hours cutting out coupons.

It's good that there are those avenues out there. Capitalist societies have ladders that allow one to climb and grasp that trickle down... and move up... :thup:

Work two jobs.
Ride my pedal bike to work.
Never eat out.
Shop at goodwill.
Never buy any brand name food, always generic. cupons, cupons, cupons.
Quit smoking six years ago, get as healthy as you can to avoid doctor bills.
Start a garden, get good at canning.
Use only cold water when doing laundry.
Grow a beard to cut down on razors.
Make full use of all vetran military benefits.

Child in college, hopefully realizing the American Dream, before it is taken away.
U of M engineering student.
Currently looking for a third job.

Good list. I worked with a Jewish psychiatrist a few years back who never wore dresses to work. She said with pants you can wear socks and not have to buy expensive hosiery. When I quit practicing for a few years to teach and go to law school, I also took a huge pay cut. I started wearing pants all the time and socks, with 'slides.' Still do. I don't think I even own a winter dress now!

Forum List

Back