There should be no reason for this

Is this a map of what quality internet connections are available?

Or is it a map of what quality internet connections people are willing to pay for?

(BTW, companies aren't likely to build high-speed systems in areas where no one wants to pay for them.)

And areas with very sparse population might have to pay high per-person costs for running super-speed internet out to three farms that are fifty miles from the nearest town.

If you're so sad over Montana having slow internet, why don't YOU write the check to pay for their upgrades?

They have decided they can get along fine with slower internet, that their money is better spent on food or roads or heating oil or whatever. What makes you think you know better than they do, what they should spend their money on?

Are you telling me this has to do with culture? They would rather be outdoors than play video games or watch HBO?

First off, WE HAVE ALL PAID THE FEES, going on 3 decades for me, for all of our utility bills so that this money would be spent by these utility companies to spread their services to regions of the USA that are sparsely populated.... they've gotten the money from us, from all of us....for decades to add these services to areas with fewer people.... my town still has 2000 people that live here...granted it is spread out, but my 3 mile long road probably has 25 homes.... right in town center, many homes are grouped together much closer than us, and like I said, we are near US1? Maybe Congress is collecting these taxes but has never given them back to the Utility companies???

Playing outside is what the kids do here... in winter, they ski and sled and toboggan, make snowmen, play ice hockey and ice fish on the lakes, in the Fall they hunt, in the spring they drain the fluid from Maple trees and make maple syrup. :D

Perhaps when these kids grow up they will get introduced to video games and HBO and as a result call for faster internet speeds.
18j24vj3fppcijpg.jpg

GAME-OF-THRONES.jpg

If the modern Western high tech lifestyle is introduced to rural America will the inhabitants accept it?

Or is it a map of what quality internet connections people are willing to pay for?

(BTW, companies aren't likely to build high-speed systems in areas where no one wants to pay for them.)

And areas with very sparse population might have to pay high per-person costs for running super-speed internet out to three farms that are fifty miles from the nearest town.

If you're so sad over Montana having slow internet, why don't YOU write the check to pay for their upgrades?

They have decided they can get along fine with slower internet, that their money is better spent on food or roads or heating oil or whatever. What makes you think you know better than they do, what they should spend their money on?

Are you telling me this has to do with culture? They would rather be outdoors than play video games or watch HBO?

First off, WE HAVE ALL PAID THE FEES, going on 3 decades for me, for all of our utility bills so that this money would be spent by these utility companies to spread their services to regions of the USA that are sparsely populated.... they've gotten the money from us, from all of us....for decades to add these services to areas with fewer people.... my town still has 2000 people that live here...granted it is spread out, but my 3 mile long road probably has 25 homes.... right in town center, many homes are grouped together much closer than us, and like I said, we are near US1? Maybe Congress is collecting these taxes but has never given them back to the Utility companies???

Playing outside is what the kids do here... in winter, they ski and sled and toboggan, make snowmen, play ice hockey and ice fish on the lakes, in the Fall they hunt, in the spring they drain the fluid from Maple trees and make maple syrup. :D

I bet they would love video games if the high tech areas of America introduced them to your kids.
I'm sure they would and I am certain in the BIG CITY of 30k, just 35 miles from here, the kids have good service and play all the video games they want....probably not at the fastest speeds though cable is avail to them....but not those who do not live in the city...they've got outdoor chores to do, before they go ice fishing or hunting or skiing.... and many days are just stuck in the house, watching tv...if it is snowing hard and the satellite tv service is still coming through...

It's a good life though....even for the kids in rural areas without much in technology....but when they have finished college, many don't stay here...they move to states with good jobs....then when they are midlife, they come back home to Maine and open their own small business, to make due...just to get away from the rat race they've had to live, for jobs.

You can tell when a liberal can't refute what you said.

He starts trying to pretend you didn't say it, but said something else instead.

Have you noticed how much of liberal "argument" consists of pretending, faking, and diversion?

There's a reason for that.

the local movie theater on main street one town over, a sister town that we share schools with, movie theater allows all kids under 18 in for free all winter long, to keep the kids out of trouble and busy.... :)

First off, WE HAVE ALL PAID THE FEES, going on 3 decades for me, for all of our utility bills so that this money would be spent by these utility companies to spread their services to regions of the USA that are sparsely populated....
No, you paid fees for the service you're already getting.

How much would it cost the comapny to run internet out there as you are describing?

In oher words, how much would YOU have to pay them to get it? They don't have a money tree, you know.

Now do you still want it? And does everyone else around you, want to pay that much too?

You can tell when a liberal can't refute what you said.

He starts trying to pretend you didn't say it, but said something else instead.

Have you noticed how much of liberal "argument" consists of pretending, faking, and diversion?

There's a reason for that.
LOOK at your utility bills and the fine print for all of the fees and taxes they are forced to charge us Acorn...

WE HAVE PAID already for services to be spread to rural areas....all of us, have paid fees/taxes on all of our utilities, over 30 years of doing this for me, to ADD THESE SERVICES to Rural and sparsely populated regions

First off, WE HAVE ALL PAID THE FEES, going on 3 decades for me, for all of our utility bills so that this money would be spent by these utility companies to spread their services to regions of the USA that are sparsely populated....

How much would it cost the comapny to run internet out there as you are describing?

In oher words, how much would YOU have to pay them to get it? They don't have a money tree, you know.

Now do you still want it? And does everyone else around you, want to pay that much too?
NO, you are WRONG....

and yes, I am certain everyone on our street would pay to have cable instead of the hit or miss satellite which is near TWICE AS EXPENSIVE for poorer service in tv and satellite broadband.

BULL CRUD.

I am not paying for services I already have...nor are you....the taxes and fees ARE NOT for services you already have that I mentioned

....there are OTHER FEES AND TAXES on all of our utility bills that pay taxes and fees on the services we already have....

I bet they would love video games if the high tech areas of America introduced them to your kids.
I'm sure they would and I am certain in the BIG CITY of 30k, just 35 miles from here, the kids have good service and play all the video games they want....probably not at the fastest speeds though cable is avail to them....but not those who do not live in the city...they've got outdoor chores to do, before they go ice fishing or hunting or skiing.... and many days are just stuck in the house, watching tv...if it is snowing hard and the satellite tv service is still coming through...

It's a good life though....even for the kids in rural areas without much in technology....but when they have finished college, many don't stay here...they move to states with good jobs....then when they are midlife, they come back home to Maine and open their own small business, to make due...just to get away from the rat race they've had to live, for jobs.

Why must everything be outdoors? I am sure some fun electronic entertainment deserves some place in rural peoples lives.

Not those who don't live in the city? Afraid your kids will turn into fat nerds?

WE HAVE PAID already for services to be spread to rural areas....all of us, have paid fees/taxes on all of our utilities, over 30 years of doing this for me, to ADD THESE SERVICES to Rural and sparsely populated regions
Did you pay the full amount it would take to bring those services in, run them, and maintain them?

Do you even know what it would cost to do that?

I didn't think so.

Getting some fuzzy-headed wishful thinking about how nice it would be to have everything the same, is vey different from evaluating what it would take to actually do it... and deciding whether you want to pay that cost.

We need better infrastructure if we want our kids to enjoy the next generation of entertainment!

Forum List

Back