There HAS to be life on other planets..

Here's my view, we know nearly nothing of the universe. We have theories and we found a few tricks we can do with electricity. It seems nearly every day there is something new scientists can't explain. NASA's James Webb telescope spotted a strange 13 billion-year-old galaxy that shouldn't exist

We are lost in the vastness of the universe trying to figure out our place in it.
The universe is vast

Which makes it unlikely that we could ever discover another life form

I’m not talking about little green men, and I’ve never been a believer in aliens, I’ve never seen any evidence to prove to me that there are. However…there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, some say even trillions of galaxies. The odds that when the universe formed, that our planet is the ONLY one that ended up being able to sustain intelligent life would have to be astronomically high. It would almost seem impossible that what happened on on earth didn’t also happen somewhere else, or in many different places.

My thought on this is that if earth is the only place where humans ended up, you’d almost have to believe in creation to believe that.

Thoughts?
I think we'd find that life is common in the universe but each level of complexity would be more and more rare. I still there are plenty of intelligent species in our own galaxy and there are plenty of other galaxies.

There may even be aliens on our planet today. We'd never see them, as they would want it that way, since the only thing we might offer them is a chance to study us. If they are here their form would be very different from us, we might not even recognize them for what they are.

What is that???

I should have bookmarked it, but NASA also once showed a 10 mile high tower on Mars as well. It was photographed - once - in a flyby by one of the orbiters and NASA supposedly never went back to take another look. Sure, makes sense, I mean why bother investigating further?

I’m not talking about little green men, and I’ve never been a believer in aliens, I’ve never seen any evidence to prove to me that there are. However…there are hundreds of billions of galaxies, some say even trillions of galaxies. The odds that when the universe formed, that our planet is the ONLY one that ended up being able to sustain intelligent life would have to be astronomically high. It would almost seem impossible that what happened on on earth didn’t also happen somewhere else, or in many different places.

My thought on this is that if earth is the only place where humans ended up, you’d almost have to believe in creation to believe that.

Thoughts?
And there are those of use who believe both in Creation and that the probability of sentient life existing elsewhere in the universe is so high that other beings almost have to be out there.

Once is enough ...

Human life may be unique in the universe ... what are the odds of a meteor killing off the dinosaurs? ... that has to happen, or no humans ... and if dinosaurs needed to get smart, they would have ... they certainly had enough time ... turns out flight is a better adaptation ...

We'll find an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere out there ... proof positive of photosynthesis ... but we'll never be able to study it any further ... just too damn far ...
You haven't spoken to the topic at all. You have only spoken about the odds of getting life EXACTLY as it appears on Earth today.

What a lunatic OP .

He states that he has never believed in Aliens, but then gives us reasons for seeing that mathematically they are a certainty .
Because he was referring to humanoid and/or sentient aliens, in that first reference.

I think you're the only one who didn't catch it.

The universe is vast

Which makes it unlikely that we could ever discover another life form
I disagree. I think we are limited by our senses of time and distance. I am no sure if there are other species out there, they would have such limitations.

We don't know if it is zero or some other number.

We just don't have the facts to say anything.

Until we have another data point we really don't have anything.

The problem we all have (myself included) is we think there just has to be life elsewhere because we have seen it in books, TV and movies. Our evaluation of science when it comes to extraterrestrial life is really tainted by being exposed to science fiction all our lives.

We all think "there has to be life elsewhere" because we see it depicted in movies and TV all the time. The reality is that we can't turn chemistry into biology in a lab and we have not seen any life outside of earth so that means we have nothing of substance to conjecture upon.

These probabilities are non-zero or no ToE ... this is statistically trickery at her finest ... and here she cannot be denied ... the analogy in dicing is the odds of throwing at least one hard ten, or double fives ... in ten rolls, in a million rolls ... at molecular collision rates over a year in all the world's oceans ... because that's ToE in a nutshell, once is enough ... thereafter, life reproduces itself automagically ...

The better question is what are the odds of NO life where water exists in her liquid state on the surface ... and yes, everything else needed for life is abundant throughout the universe ...

I can't demonstrate any of this ... it's only of theoretical valve ... I'm waiting the discovery of an exoplanet with the distinct N2/O2 atmosphere ... then we can prove this could only be from life ... nothing else ... as they say in the trade: || ...

I disagree. I think we are limited by our senses of time and distance. I am no sure if there are other species out there, they would have such limitations.

They face the same physics and chemistry we do

Thoughts?
Not really.

It’s possible life is unique to Earth given its attributes: size and distance from its star, its chemical makeup, its geomagnetic field, its 24.5 degree axial tilt, the size and distance of its single satellite, along with other aspects of the solar system needed to facilitate life – attributes found nowhere else.

These probabilities are non-zero or no ToE ... this is statistically trickery at her finest ... and here she cannot be denied ... the analogy in dicing is the odds of throwing at least one hard ten, or double fives ... in ten rolls, in a million rolls ... at molecular collision rates over a year in all the world's oceans ... because that's ToE in a nutshell, once is enough ... thereafter, life reproduces itself automagically ...

The better question is what are the odds of NO life where water exists in her liquid state on the surface ... and yes, everything else needed for life is abundant throughout the universe ...

I can't demonstrate any of this ... it's only of theoretical valve ... I'm waiting the discovery of an exoplanet with the distinct N2/O2 atmosphere ... then we can prove this could only be from life ... nothing else ... as they say in the trade: || ...
The problem with us not having any data points outside earth and not being able to create life in the lab is that we don't have a number for the elements that have to be present, the conditions present and the reactions necessary to convert Chemistry into Biology.

Without knowing what creates life or finding it elsewhere we can't put a probability number on life being elsewhere.

Back a few decades ago we got a Drake Equation but that was so flawed as to be meaningless.

Here is a good discussion on the flaws in the Drake Equation and what we really need in order to come up with any valid statistical probability.

Thoughts?
My question is: Is the universe infinite?
The only people who will find out these secrets are the loving saintly people who reach Heaven.

Not really.

It’s possible life is unique to Earth given its attributes: size and distance from its star, its chemical makeup, its geomagnetic field, its 24.5 degree axial tilt, the size and distance of its single satellite, along with other aspects of the solar system needed to facilitate life – attributes found nowhere else.
But still

Chemistry is chemistry.

Carbon is still the element that can be combined the most ways. The elements of the universe appear in the same proportions.

What we forget though, is that these possible living entities out there (Aliens), could have had a billion or two billion more years to develop greater and much more advanced technologies, and travelling means than we could ever imagine in that amount of time, IF they are really out there, somewhere, over the rainbow!

But still

Chemistry is chemistry.

Carbon is still the element that can be combined the most ways. The elements of the universe appear in the same proportions.

Good point

Far off beings deal with the same Periodic Table and Physics that we do.

Good point

Far off beings deal with the same Periodic Table and Physics that we do.
That's right. And the same environmental pressures, like gravity.

DNA formed because it was so efficient and stable. Selective pressures formed DNA. Selective pressures made plants and animals multi cellular, instead of made just one, huge cell. These same pressures would be in force anywhere.

What we forget though, is that these possible living entities out there (Aliens), could have had a billion or two billion more years to develop greater and much more advanced technologies, and travelling means than we could ever imagine in that amount of time, IF they are really out there, somewhere, over the rainbow!

It all comes down to speed and biology.

Those Solar Systems are multiple light years away. Meaning that even traveling at the speed of light, it would take years to reach another Solar System.

We have tried to accelerate particles at near the speed of light and seen what happens. The particles expand and extensive heat is generated.
Not the conditions under which organic creatures survive.

Forum List

Back