The Yardstick By Which To Measure Presidents.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PoliticalChic, Apr 22, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,788
    1. Many leading academics find that the greatest modern Presidents are those that have made government bigger and more powerful, and have expanded the reach of the presidency, i.e., Woodrow Wilson and FDR. By the same token, those Presidents with a limited-government POV, such as Harding, Coolidge and Reagan, are treated dismissively by journalists and historians.

2. Prior to the 20th century, Congress was considered the apex of the American political system, but today many believe the President to be more akin to the king or religious leader described by Frazer in “The Golden Bough.” He must be the ‘great father,’ the ‘miracle worker,’ and the ‘fulfiller of all wants.’ Liberals swoon at the charisma of an Obama or a John F. Kennedy.

a. Obama supporter Peggy Joseph: “I never thought this day would ever happen. I won’t have to worry about putting gas in my car. I won’t have to worry about paying my mortgage. You know, if I help him, he’s gonna help me.”

b. Obama: "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow, and our planet began to heal."

3. The expectation of a godlike President who can or should solve all of our problems reinforces the central impulse of Liberalism, which is to politicize more and more of private life, always expanding the power of government.

4. Leftist governments infantilize their populace. When political operatives advocate doing something ‘for the children” one can see the tendency to make children out of the citizenry.

a. “Vice President Al Gore said the government should act like “grandparents in the sense that grandparents perform a nurturing role.” Cult of the Presidency

b. “…Denton Walthall, who asked a question in the second presidential debate in 1992. …Referring to voters as "symbolically the children of the future president," he asked how voters could expect the candidates "to meet our needs, the needs in housing and in crime and you name it, as opposed to the wants of your political spin doctors and your political parties.” How town-hall debates can go very wrong for a candidate. - Slate Magazine

5. Citizens have accepted this, as shown by what they tell pollsters they expect: ‘experience,’ or that ‘he shares my values,’ or ‘cares about people like me’ or ‘understands the needs of the country.’ It is unlimited. What, then, is the correct yardstick by which to measure a President? Does the President take seriously his oath of office:

a. Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
    Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight

Covered more fully in "The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents," by Steven Hayward

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,941
    I wish I could remember where I read this recently.

The author of the piece was tackling how divisive Obama's Presidency has been. And he said just the simplest phrase to absolutely nail the tactics of Obama and Democrats alike.

The basis for his conclusion was that liberals don't want America to be a nation in harmony. They need Americans to be divided. They need divisiveness to fuel the numerous bases they have.

His phrase for this tactic by Obama, his czars and the DNC....."The Balkanization of America".

Brilliant. Just brilliant. :eusa_clap: Whoever the author of the piece was managed in just a few words to nail the political climate in the US right now.

I really will try to find that opinion piece again (sorries in the middle of planting out a whole batch of seeds right now in the house/getting ready for a kick ass garden).

I really want to make sure I give that author credit for an amazing article. And Political Chic great post.

I never thought I would ever witness an "anti American" American President. It's surreal.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    Obama- the ruler that would be yardstick.

4. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    Hayward is just a tiny bit biased, he works for the AEI..............................:lol: NOT a historian's historian by any means.

5. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,788
    I notice that you didn't list any errors in his precis......

What is the import of his alleged 'bias' if everything he says is true?

6. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,242

Yeah, he's not a blatant propagandist for the all-powerful state like every other historian on the government payroll.

7. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    washington wouldn't let his face be on america coins, cause that's what the british monarchs did.

then i find out he got everyone boozy before the election. i don't know if lincoln drank. the government is too big.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    By those standards, when he is done, President Obama will be considered a god by most.

Oh wait! He already is by the left.

Immie

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  9. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,788
    Yup....Liberals will always rate more liberal Presidents more highly than conservative Presidents, and since liberals dominate academia, it is no surprise that Liberal Democratic Presidents are more celebrated in the leading literature.

This is the reason to remind that the Constitution tells us what every President has promised when elected.

Progressives control the universities and the means of dissemination of information....

1. The radicals of the sixties did not remain within the universities…They realized that the apocalypse never materialized. “…they were dropping off into environmentalism and consumerism and fatalism…I watched many of my old comrades apply to graduate school in universities they had failed to burn down, so they could get advanced degrees and spread the ideas that had been discredited in the streets under an academic cover.” Collier and Horowitz, “Destructive Generation: Second Thoughts About The Sixties,” p. 294-295.

2. “The radicals were not likely to go into business or the conventional practice of the professions. They were part of the chattering class, talkers interested in policy, politics, culture. They went into politics, print and electronic journalism, church bureaucracies, foundation staffs, Hollywood careers, public interest organizations, anywhere attitudes and opinions could be influenced. And they are exerting influence.” Robert H. Bork, “Slouching Toward Gomorrah,” p. 51

Were it not for the overreach of President Obama, most of those who will vote him out of office in November would still be unaware of the danger of Liberalism.

10. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    A yardstick to measure a presidents what?

~S~

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1