The Yardstick By Which To Measure Presidents.

warm with the heart-blood of one people, ready to recreate constitutions and laws. … Woodrow Wilson [Woodrow Wilson
"The Modern Democratic State" (1885; first published in 1966)

I read this as Wilson believing the nation would survive as it has been guided BY the Constitution since its adoption. And TEAPOT DOME was a huge scandal at the time, it showed Harding to be insulated from the wrong doing of his closest aides, and appointees.

"And TEAPOT DOME ..."

I am certainly familiar with Teapot Dome....I've read the Laton McCartney book.
It has nothing to do with fighting the recession we were discussing.

You were attacking Wilson actually......................

Wrong.

See post #44.

warm with the heart-blood of one people, ready to recreate constitutions and laws. … Woodrow Wilson [Woodrow Wilson
"The Modern Democratic State" (1885; first published in 1966)

I read this as Wilson believing the nation would survive as it has been guided BY the Constitution since its adoption. And TEAPOT DOME was a huge scandal at the time, it showed Harding to be insulated from the wrong doing of his closest aides, and appointees.

"And TEAPOT DOME ..."

I am certainly familiar with Teapot Dome....I've read the Laton McCartney book.
It has nothing to do with fighting the recession we were discussing.

You were attacking Wilson actually......................

I am always happy to attack the racist, fascist Woodrow Wilson.

He was so unpopular by the end of his term that the following election was a landslide for the Republicans.

Look for it in November.

Did you say you wanted to learn from history?

Coming right up!

"America's greatest depression fighter was Warren Gamaliel Harding. An Ohio senator when he was elected president in 1920, he followed the much praised Woodrow Wilson— who had brought America into World War I, built up huge federal bureaucracies, imprisoned dissenters, and incurred $25 billion of debt.

Harding inherited Wilson's mess— in particular, a post–World War I depression that was almost as severe, from peak to trough, as the Great Contraction from 1929 to 1933 that FDR would later inherit. The estimated gross national product plunged 24 percent from $91.5 billion in 1920 to $69.6 billion in 1921. The number of unemployed people jumped from 2.1 million to 4.9 million.

One of Harding's campaign slogans was "less government in business," and it served him well. Harding embraced the advice of Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon and called for tax cuts in his first message to Congress on April 12, 1921. The highest taxes, on corporate revenues and "excess" profits, were to be cut. Personal income taxes were to be left as is, with a top rate of 8 percent of incomes above $4,000. Harding recognized the crucial importance of encouraging the investment that is essential for growth and jobs, something that FDR never did.

President-Elect Obama ought to consider the model of Warren G. Harding, whose policies raised Americans’ standard of living, and lifted the nation itself out of a depression…

In 1922, the House passed a veterans' bonus bill 333-70, without saying how the bonuses would be funded. The senate passed it 35-17. Despite intense lobbying from the American Legion, Harding vetoed the bill on September 19— just six weeks before congressional elections, when presidents generally throw goodies at voters. Harding said it was unfair to add to the burdens of 110 million taxpayers.

Harding's Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover wanted government intervention in the economy— which as president he was to pursue when he faced the Great Depression a decade later— but Harding would have none of it. He insisted that relief measures were a local responsibility."
Not-So-Great Depression - Jim Powell - National Review Online

Uh PC, you left out TEAPOT DOME, that consumed much of Harding's Presidency. And Wilson had led the country through WWI, something which took some energy...............a much greater man than either Harding, or Hoover.

History News Network

1. Really?

Did you want me to cover his wedding too?

This post was about dealing with recessions.

The first line should have given you a hint: "America's greatest depression fighter was Warren Gamaliel Harding...."

2. "....a much greater man than either Harding, or Hoover."
Under Wilson, the United States was the first fascist nation.

a. Had the world’s first modern propaganda ministry
b. Political prisoners by the thousands were harassed, beaten, spied upon and thrown in jail for simply expressing private opinions.
c. The national leader accused foreigners and immigrants of injecting treasonous ‘poison’ into the American bloodstream
d. Newspapers and magazines were closed for criticizing the government
e. Almost 100,000 government propaganda agents were sent out to whip up support for the regime and the war
f. College professors imposed loyalty oaths on their colleagues
g. Nearly a quarter million ‘goons’ were given legal authority to beat and intimidate ‘slackers’ and dissenters
h. Leading artists and writers dedicated their work to proselytizing for the government.
http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/Classical_Liberalism_vs_Modern_Liberal_Conservatism.pdf p. 9

Both Wilson and FDR were destroyers of the Constitution.
There is no 'living Constitution.'

I thought the part I put in bold type was an attack, odd praise I must say...:lol:

I notice that you didn't list any errors in his precis......

It is an op-ed...

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I love that quote. Look Peach I think your posts are not only well thought out, but I also believe you attempt to leave partisanship out of it.

Some fun some time. I actually try to look for your posts because I believe you mean what you say, and you are not trying to inflame.

You would be to me a Democrat. An honorable opponent. My type of a Democrat. Not many left these days.There's one guy I love to death. Guy called Doug. Real dem. Real time.

Honest dude. I love talking with him.

I vote Republican when the Republican is the better candidate...............

Uh PC, you left out TEAPOT DOME, that consumed much of Harding's Presidency. And Wilson had led the country through WWI, something which took some energy...............a much greater man than either Harding, or Hoover.

History News Network

1. Really?

Did you want me to cover his wedding too?

This post was about dealing with recessions.

The first line should have given you a hint: "America's greatest depression fighter was Warren Gamaliel Harding...."

2. "....a much greater man than either Harding, or Hoover."
Under Wilson, the United States was the first fascist nation.

a. Had the world’s first modern propaganda ministry
b. Political prisoners by the thousands were harassed, beaten, spied upon and thrown in jail for simply expressing private opinions.
c. The national leader accused foreigners and immigrants of injecting treasonous ‘poison’ into the American bloodstream
d. Newspapers and magazines were closed for criticizing the government
e. Almost 100,000 government propaganda agents were sent out to whip up support for the regime and the war
f. College professors imposed loyalty oaths on their colleagues
g. Nearly a quarter million ‘goons’ were given legal authority to beat and intimidate ‘slackers’ and dissenters
h. Leading artists and writers dedicated their work to proselytizing for the government.
http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/Classical_Liberalism_vs_Modern_Liberal_Conservatism.pdf p. 9

Both Wilson and FDR were destroyers of the Constitution.
There is no 'living Constitution.'

I thought the part I put in bold type was an attack, odd praise I must say...:lol:

Post #60 was about Teapot Dome.

Am I correct that you no longer claim that Wilson was'....a much greater man than either Harding, or Hoover."?

Last edited:
Hayward is just a tiny bit biased, he works for the AEI..............................:lol: NOT a historian's historian by any means.

What is the import of his alleged 'bias' if everything he says is true?

AEI doesn't allow truth to be spoken. Ask David Frum who was fired for speaking the truth or the AEI 'scholars who were ordered not to speak to the media during the health care debate because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

David Frum and the Closing of the Conservative Mind by Bruce Bartlett

Bruce Bartlett? LOL! He has Paul Craig Roberts disease.

Since the New Deal, conservatives have been on the wrong side of every issue...Medicare, Social Security, equal rights, civil liberties, church state separation, consumer issues, public education, reproductive freedom, national health care, labor issues, gun policy, campaign finance reform, the environment, and tax fairness.

No political party could remain so consistently wrong by accident. The only rational conclusion is that, despite their cynical "family values" propaganda, the Republican Party is a criminal conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and extremist religious groups.

Wrong side of every issue? Chris we have to talk. Let's both go "coast to coast".

Just to fuck up your head though. In 2006 when every crazy pro bush person went "huh? what the fucks gong on" turns out GW went down with lyme disease. No BULLSHIT.

Daddy took the reins. Now it explains why the Bush II years seemed like GH's term.

Because it was. That's why none of us can relate to Bush II's presidency.

Since the New Deal, conservatives have been on the wrong side of every issue...Medicare, Social Security, equal rights, civil liberties, church state separation, consumer issues, public education, reproductive freedom, national health care, labor issues, gun policy, campaign finance reform, the environment, and tax fairness.

No political party could remain so consistently wrong by accident. The only rational conclusion is that, despite their cynical "family values" propaganda, the Republican Party is a criminal conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and extremist religious groups.

Wrong side of every issue? Chris we have to talk. Let's both go "coast to coast".

Just to fuck up your head though. In 2006 when every crazy pro bush person went "huh? what the fucks gong on" turns out GW went down with lyme disease. No BULLSHIT.

Daddy took the reins. Now it explains why the Bush II years seemed like GH's term.

Because it was. That's why none of us can relate to Bush II's presidency.

I admire GHWB, I feel he did the best he could while in office, and was surprised Clinton defeated him.

What is the import of his alleged 'bias' if everything he says is true?

AEI doesn't allow truth to be spoken. Ask David Frum who was fired for speaking the truth or the AEI 'scholars who were ordered not to speak to the media during the health care debate because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

Scorn for the truth and courage eh Toddster? Bartlett, Frum, Roberts...men who won't parrot the party purity line that is scripted word for word for them by Frank Luntz, who ADMITS -- there aren't any liberal wordsmiths...

Ole' Frank better be careful, truth will put him with the outcasts if he does not conform!

BTW, please stop using Roger Daltrey's picture as your avatar. You are not 'a man'.

The Who - A Man Is A Man
You talk about crazy affairs
You talk about your life as though it mattered
You get attention 'cos you block the stairs
Bragging about some bottles you have shattered

Well I met a man who really lives
He really does it all
But what really matters is the heart he gives
He makes your talk seem small

When a man is a man
He doesn't act to a plan
He don't have to perform like John Wayne in some B feature flick
A man is a man
When he can offer his hand
Not afraid of appearing insane if he can't break a brick
I know a man who's a man

Can't you sometimes crack a smile
Do you think if you did we would run and tell
I know one day your big villian style
Will collapse as they turn the key in the door of your cell

I know a man who was once like you
But he opened his heart
No one is really bad right through
He's just another part

When a man is a man
And he drinks 'til he's canned
He can drop to the floor, he can weep, we won't ask the price
A man is a man
He can fall he can stand
We won't love him more if he keeps his soul on the ice
I know a man who's a man

Every one of us is looking for fame
He's a looker
He's a dresser
He's a genius under pressure
I know a man who could tighten your rein
He's a father
He's a brother
He's a rock
He's a lover

He's a man he's a man
He doesn't act to a plan
He don't have to get hitched to a train in some muscle beach trick
A man is a man
Be a man who's a man

Last edited:
I'd count Ford even higher; he did what was right for the country, and gave up a chance to be elected. Not many Presidents you can name who would have made the sacrifice.

I'd count Ford even higher; he did what was right for the country, and gave up a chance to be elected. Not many Presidents you can name who would have made the sacrifice.

I'm not conviced everyone who has been seated in the Oval Office has been a willing participant....or at least continued to be a willing participant. Frankly, I doubt most of our VP's who became Presidents were really happy about having the job, primarily because they have a realistic POV about how much it sucks.

I'm not conviced everyone who has been seated in the Oval Office has been a willing participant....or at least continued to be a willing participant. Frankly, I doubt most of our VP's who became Presidents were really happy about having the job, primarily because they have a realistic POV about how much it sucks.

"Not worth a bucket of warm spit", said Garner.

There are few that have priced spit.

I'll take his word for it.....however I suspect he actually said "warm piss" and the publically sensative media of the day, changed it to "spit."

Actually, piss has some very useful industrial uses....curing leather comes to mind.

There are few that have priced spit.

I'll take his word for it.....however I suspect he actually said "warm piss" and the publically sensative media of the day, changed it to "spit."

Actually, piss has some very useful industrial uses....curing leather comes to mind.
That is the story, he SAID p*ss but it was changed to spit..................................

Scorn for the truth and courage eh Toddster? Bartlett, Frum, Roberts...men who won't parrot the party purity line that is scripted word for word for them by Frank Luntz, who ADMITS -- there aren't any liberal wordsmiths...

Ole' Frank better be careful, truth will put him with the outcasts if he does not conform!

BTW, please stop using Roger Daltrey's picture as your avatar. You are not 'a man'.

The Who - A Man Is A Man
You talk about crazy affairs
You talk about your life as though it mattered
You get attention 'cos you block the stairs
Bragging about some bottles you have shattered

Well I met a man who really lives
He really does it all
But what really matters is the heart he gives
He makes your talk seem small

When a man is a man
He doesn't act to a plan
He don't have to perform like John Wayne in some B feature flick
A man is a man
I know a man who's a man

Can't you sometimes crack a smile
Do you think if you did we would run and tell
I know one day your big villian style
Will collapse as they turn the key in the door of your cell

I know a man who was once like you
But he opened his heart
No one is really bad right through
He's just another part

When a man is a man
And he drinks 'til he's canned
He can drop to the floor, he can weep, we won't ask the price
A man is a man
He can fall he can stand
We won't love him more if he keeps his soul on the ice
I know a man who's a man

Every one of us is looking for fame
He's a looker
He's a dresser
He's a genius under pressure
I know a man who could tighten your rein
He's a father
He's a brother
He's a rock
He's a lover

He's a man he's a man
He doesn't act to a plan
He don't have to get hitched to a train in some muscle beach trick
A man is a man
Be a man who's a man

Scorn for the truth and courage eh Toddster?

Scorn for nutjobs, like Roberts and Bartlett.

Forum List

Back