The voting age should be raised

Ignore the shit heads, the question that you should be really asking is are politicians as a whole so corrupt and the system employed to get them there so corrupt that it dose not matter what the age of the voter is as it has no consequence to those who are in power.

First off, the belief that we have a fair and just system of politics is just that, its a belief, abit like religion, where people just believe in an idea but not requesting any proofs of validity of same. No, all politics and politicans whomever they may be in whatever country in whatever time are corrupt and bought off by the parasite.

Its just an illusion, nothing more, the best thing people could do right now is to not vote at all in any nation that has the right to vote. Because that would bring the system down and that would facilitate change, hopefully for the better.

One of my grandfather's famous quotes is that He wont vote where his vote wont count anyway. I guess I never agreed with him up until recently when I began seeing the statistics thrown here and there and hearing other people's views on the matter. After I got both sides, I am firmly believing that voting is corrupted. I am also under the impression that a lot of voting comes from influence from family and friends - not independent attitudes toward the candidates. I mean, not ALL people vote from being influenced, but a lot of people do - especially the younger generation....simply because they are in a time in their life where they are trying to "fit in" and want to go with the "in" crowd just like in their highschools.

Jamie

Oh, for pity's sake. Unless you're a hermit living on a moutaintop in Montana somewhere, you're voting from "being influenced", so don't delude yourself. It's really just a matter of which influences you listen to and how much thought you put into what they're saying.

Raise the age? Don't know about that. Maybe pass a test showing you're competent to vote . . . that I could get on board with. Of course, it would have to be administered to all, not just the youth.

Illegal and Unconstitutional.

Well, you would have to have a Constitutional Amendment to do it, which by definition would make it both legal and Constitutional.

Moral and ethical, now, that's something else.

If you wouldn't let them vote at 18 then they shouldn't be able to join the armed services at 18 either. After all if they don't have the mental maturity to read about, and recognize the consequences of casting a vote then they certainly don't have the maturity to understand the consequences ( up to and including their deaths ) of signing their life over to Uncle Sam either.

I dont think anyone should join the military until they are age 21 or higher..possibly higher. But then again, I would HATE it if my children joined the military at ALL...thats just a mother's point of view.

Jamie

That's not necessarily a "mothers" point of view...it's YOUR point of view. I'm a mother myself and if my daughter chooses to join the military I'll support her decision to do so. There are certainly some advantages to it (job training, GI Bill for school etc.) along with the disadvantages. I'll make damned sure she reads everything she has to sign though so that she really knows and understands what she's getting into.

My daughter joined and served in the Army; it was her decision, she went in with her eyes wide open and came out of the experience a better person --- and farther to the left than I am :lol:

Raise the age? Don't know about that. Maybe pass a test showing you're competent to vote . . . that I could get on board with. Of course, it would have to be administered to all, not just the youth.
Bingo. Maybe some algebra, a little history quiz. No writing though.

Don't raise or lower the voting age. Civics (emphasis on the American Republic) should be mandatory in high school. That's what is called teaching our youth how their system of government works and helps to better prepare them to participate.
I could go into other courses that should be manditory that would give greater insight into that participation, economics for one, but I'ld rather not post long messages. Peoples attention spans are generally not all that encompassing.

"The best argument against a democracy is a 5 minute conversation with an average voter" Winston Churchill

18 year olds???? voting--I really don't think that is a problem--but I DO BELIEVE A TEST SHOULD BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO BEING ELIGIBLE TO VOTE--regardless of age.

1. Must be able to read & understand English.
2. Must be able to fill out a ballot card--CORRECTLY.
3. Must have logged in at least 50 hours studying candidates- &-past voting records
4. Must have at least a B grade knowledge of what is actually going on in this nation.
AND
5. Must have one college course that was passed in economics 101

If they pass the above they can vote--if they can't they don't vote.

My thoughts anyway.

Last edited:
If you wouldn't let them vote at 18 then they shouldn't be able to join the armed services at 18 either. After all if they don't have the mental maturity to read about, and recognize the consequences of casting a vote then they certainly don't have the maturity to understand the consequences ( up to and including their deaths ) of signing their life over to Uncle Sam either.

I dont think anyone should join the military until they are age 21 or higher..possibly higher. But then again, I would HATE it if my children joined the military at ALL...thats just a mother's point of view.

Jamie

That's not necessarily a "mothers" point of view...it's YOUR point of view. I'm a mother myself and if my daughter chooses to join the military I'll support her decision to do so. There are certainly some advantages to it (job training, GI Bill for school etc.) along with the disadvantages. I'll make damned sure she reads everything she has to sign though so that she really knows and understands what she's getting into.

Well I disagree. The military says "Ill give you 20k to kill someone and then we'll give you schooling in return". Its a bullshit attempt to lure teens into joining the military because their parents are too poor to afford their college tuition....some end up paying with their lives for stuff that doesnt even involve defending our freedom, which was what the military was originally for. My husband was in the Navy and he will agree. The military is an industry that is a parasite of our youth. People think their children come out being better persons.. I say its because of poor parenting.

"The best argument against a democracy is a 5 minute conversation with an average voter" Winston Churchill

18 year olds???? voting--I really don't think that is a problem--but I DO BELIEVE A TEST SHOULD BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO BEING ELIGIBLE TO VOTE--regardless of age.

3. Must have logged in at least 50 hours studying candidates- &-past voting records
4. Must have at least a B grade knowledge of what is actually going on in this nation.
AND

My thoughts anyway.

Id be willing to vote for something like that to happen. That way they would be showing that they are competent enough to vote.

Jamie

Last edited:

AND

My thoughts anyway.
and you would also cut out a good amount of the minority vote.
And if I am not mistaken didn't the south have these sort of tests for black people?
There is a reason why they call here the Land of the Free.
SOme of you talk about Obama being a fascist and then you come up with ideas for testing in order to be allowed to vote.

Jamie

My daughter joined and served in the Army; it was her decision, she went in with her eyes wide open and came out of the experience a better person --- and farther to the left than I am :lol:

Funny that. I went into the military voting for Reagan and went out voting for Gore.

Raising the legal voting age would require a Constitutional Amendment. Good luck with getting that passed... since 18 - 25 year olds have the right to vote :)

I have a creeping feeling that many in this thread do not remember why that amendment was passed......

Some are on the right track but I don't know if they know the deal.

The 26th ammendment was passed becasue 18, 19 and 20 year old young men were being sent half way around the world to die in a war cooked up by politicians they didn't even have the right to vote for.

And you want a test to vote? Fine, tell you what, any of you dumb asses who have allowed this topic to reach this length without a single mention of TAXATION without REPRESENTATION are too stupid to vote. Turn in your voter registration.

What does algebra have to do with "competent to vote"? Or writing, for that matter? Seems to me that competency to vote would involve actually knowing something about what's going on in the country besides the nightly news soundbytes.

What does algebra have to do with "competent to vote"? Or writing, for that matter? Seems to me that competency to vote would involve actually knowing something about what's going on in the country besides the nightly news soundbytes.

Yup.

Jamie

if a mother says its a mothers pov that she doesn't want her child in the military, and another mother says the opposite, is one invalidated as being the opinion of a mother?

it is said that recruiters are like golfers, they both go for the green (recruiters earn bonuses for high recruitment, and they will say anything to get recruits!) so having anyone read what they are signing is a good move. might even have a lawyer look it over. if you wouldn't tell her, would your daughter have the capacity to take that step on her own...looking over the documents prior to signing?

AND

My thoughts anyway.

your criteria would eliminate a large chunk of americans from voting.

that could be a good t'ing

I hate to break it to you, but one of the reasons men in their late teens are so valued in the armed forces is BECAUSE they're not entirely mature mentally. Men in late adolescence/early twenties tend toward recklessness, a certain disregard for personal safety, and a curious notion of invincibility, all of which is very useful in a soldier.

aye.

Forum List

Back