The Virginia House passes "personhood" bill

A longitudinal study in 1996 of over 4000 women in the United States followed for 3 years found that the rape-related pregnancy rate was 5.0% among victims aged 12–45 years. Applying that rate to rapes committed in the United States would indicate that there are over 32,000 pregnancies in the United States as a result of rape each year.[32]

Unintended pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What does that have to do with a baby?

This bill will outlaw birth control and abortion.

It's what the right has tried to accomplish since Roe. They lost the push for personhood status in the past, (Tatalovich, Raymond. Social Regulatory Policy : Moral Contoversies In American Politics "Abortiion, Prochoice Versus Prolife". Edited by R. and Daynes, B. Tatalovitch. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1988), but they've kept trying ever since to erode womens' rights over their own reproductive health. And it is NOT just abortion they want to do away with, it IS every manner of prevention of pregnancy that is under attack.

It says a lot that pro-death democrats try to couch the act of abortion in terms like "birth control."

The Republican-led House of Delegates gave preliminary approval Monday to a so-called personhood bill , despite strenuous opposition by Democrats who argued that the broad measure could prohibit birth control.

The bill provides that “unborn children at every stage of development enjoy all the rights, privileges, and immunities available to other persons, citizens, and residents of the commonwealth, subject only to the laws and constitutions of Virginia and the United States, precedents of the United States Supreme Court, and provisions to the contrary in the statutes of the commonwealth.”

The bill was introduced by Del. Bob Marshall (R-Prince William), one of the most outspoken legislators on abortion issues and a candidate for U.S. Senate this year.

Similar legislation passed the House last year, but died in the Senate, which was controlled by Democrats. Supporters hope that the Senate, now led by the GOP, will approve the bill this year, but its fate is still unclear.

Marshall said his bill, modeled after legislation in Missouri, would not affect birth control, miscarriages or abortions but would affect the way that courts define a person. For example, parents could receive damages for the death of a fetus in a wrongful death lawsuit.

“To claim using birth control will get you in trouble with this statue is simply false,’’ Marshall said. “It does not have the affect of criminalizing birth control. This does not directly effect abortion.’’

Critics disagree.

“This bill requires every single code section in Virginia that uses the word ‘person’ to apply to a fetus,” Del. Jennifer McClellan (D-Richmond) said. “That opens families and doctors to a wide variety of criminal and civil lawsuits for health-care decisions not only in cases of unwanted pregnancies, but every pregnancy and even miscarriage.”

The House rejected a floor amendment by Del. Vivian Watts (D-Fairfax) that would have ensured that contraception would remain legal.

Virginia House passes ‘personhood’ bill - Virginia Politics - The Washington Post

This is the state that kept the law of mandatory involuntary sterilization on the books till 1974.

I think they feel remorse and need to undo horrible crimes against their citizens.

Eugenic sterilization. Virginia was highly aggressive. It was mandatory.

Maybe they feel guilt now to what they did to so many women.

It says a lot that pro-death democrats try to couch the act of abortion in terms like "birth control."

Never ceases to amaze me.

That's why they attempt to control the terminology. When the D's and the far left are now attempting to rehabilitate Maggie Sanger, oh that's low.

But I guess they're desperate.

That's why they attempt to control the terminology. When the D's and the far left are now attempting to rehabilitate Maggie Sanger, oh that's low.

Yeah, cause MLK was all about cosying up to racists. That old canard about Sanger wanting to do away with black people has been proven to be hyperbole. She did, under the influences of her time, agree with a portion of eugenics, as to the sterilization of the profoundly retarded, but she also rejected the Nazi application of the concept, and worked in Harlem to help women retain control over their reproductive health.

Only the reactionary and radical right would find fault with someone who helped women and families stay healthy both physically and financially.

Mrs. Coretta Scott King delivered her husband's acceptance speech on his behalf.

Before reading Dr. King's speech, Mrs. King declared, "I am proud tonight to say a word in behalf of your mentor, and the person who symbolizes the ideas of this organization, Margaret Sanger. Because of her dedication, her deep convictions, and for her suffering for what she believed in, I would like to say that I am proud to be a woman tonight."

Planned Parenthood is proud to reprint Dr. King's acceptance speech.

Family Planning — A Special and Urgent Concern
by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
Read more here:
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are/reverend-martin-luther-king-jr-4728.htm

Yeah, cause MLK was all about cosying up to racists. That old canard about Sanger wanting to do away with black people has been proven to be hyperbole. She did, under the influences of her time, agree with a portion of eugenics, as to the sterilization of the profoundly retarded, but she also rejected the Nazi application of the concept, and worked in Harlem to help women retain control over their reproductive health.

Only the reactionary and radical right would find fault with someone who helped women and families stay healthy both physically and financially.

Okey dokey.

Maggie was a serious member of the American Eugenics Society.

She truly believed in removing the unfit from the world. Unfit to Maggie included blacks.

Check out a woman from hell called Dorothy Brush. One of Maggies best partners. Mandatory sterilization was her calling to drive for.

American Eugenics Society : Leon Whitney was the executive secretary

The prominent list of original founders of sponsors of The American Eugenics Society each had some direct relationship with either Wickliffe Draper of The Pioneer Fund or Andrew Preston founder of The Boston Fruit Company, later United Fruit in New Orleans, LA:

In 1930 many of the wealthiest people in the world were members of the American Eugenics Society.

It earliest members and sponsors included:

J. P. Morgan, Jr., chairman, U. S. Steel, who handled British contracts in the United States for food and munitions during World War I. Wickliffe Draper used his J. P. Morgan Trust Account to fund The Mississippi Sovereignty Commission and its activities.

Mrs. Mary Duke Biddle, tobacco fortune heiress whose family founded Duke University.

Cleveland H. and Cleveland E. Dodge and their wives, who used some of the huge fortune that Phelps Dodge & Company made on copper mines and other metals to support eugenics.

Robert Garrett, whose family had amassed a fortune through banking in Maryland and the B&O railroad, who helped finance two international eugenics congresses attended by Harry Laughlin and Wickliffe Draper.

Miss E. B. Scripps, whose wealth came the Scrips-Howard newspaper chain and from United Press (later UPI).

Dorothy H. Brush, Planned Parenthood activist, whose wealth came from Charles Francis Brush (1849–1929), who invented the arc lamp for street lights and founded the Brush Electric Company. Draper's version of Planned Parenthood was to pass the Involuntary Sterilization laws in 15 different U.S. States.:eusa_whistle:

Margaret Sanger, also from Planned Parenthood, who used the wealth of one of one of her husbands, Noah Slee, to promote her work. Slee made his fortune from the familiar household product, 3-In-One Oil.

The other Finance Committee members included:

Leon F. Whitney, the son of Eli Whitney inventor of the Cotton Gin who was the Chairman. The Draper Looms in Hopedale, MA were used to spin the raw cotton harvested by the Eli Whitney cotton gins into fabrics, cloth and yarn.
Frank L. Babbott, the well-known philanthropist and educator.
Madison Grant, later of The Pioneer Fund, founded by Wickliffe Draper following the 1936 Olympics when his namesake, Foy Draper, was edged out for Olympic glory by Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalf.
Mrs. Helen Hartley Jenkins and John H. Kellogg who started the Kellogg's Cereal Company.
John Kellogg and The Race Betterment Foundation

Mandatory sterilization.

Yeah Maggie's a champ. She didn't just back abortions. She loved sterilization of the poor and the feeble minded.

Don't you get the fact that until the Nazis took it away and over the top California was like #1 in sterilizations?

Okey dokey.

Maggie was a serious member of the American Eugenics Society.

She truly believed in removing the unfit from the world. Unfit to Maggie included blacks.

Check out a woman from hell called Dorothy Brush. One of Maggies best partners. Mandatory sterilization was her calling to drive for.

American Eugenics Society : Leon Whitney was the executive secretary

The prominent list of original founders of sponsors of The American Eugenics Society each had some direct relationship with either Wickliffe Draper of The Pioneer Fund or Andrew Preston founder of The Boston Fruit Company, later United Fruit in New Orleans, LA:

In 1930 many of the wealthiest people in the world were members of the American Eugenics Society.

It earliest members and sponsors included:

J. P. Morgan, Jr., chairman, U. S. Steel, who handled British contracts in the United States for food and munitions during World War I. Wickliffe Draper used his J. P. Morgan Trust Account to fund The Mississippi Sovereignty Commission and its activities.

Mrs. Mary Duke Biddle, tobacco fortune heiress whose family founded Duke University.

Cleveland H. and Cleveland E. Dodge and their wives, who used some of the huge fortune that Phelps Dodge & Company made on copper mines and other metals to support eugenics.

Robert Garrett, whose family had amassed a fortune through banking in Maryland and the B&O railroad, who helped finance two international eugenics congresses attended by Harry Laughlin and Wickliffe Draper.

Miss E. B. Scripps, whose wealth came the Scrips-Howard newspaper chain and from United Press (later UPI).

Dorothy H. Brush, Planned Parenthood activist, whose wealth came from Charles Francis Brush (1849–1929), who invented the arc lamp for street lights and founded the Brush Electric Company. Draper's version of Planned Parenthood was to pass the Involuntary Sterilization laws in 15 different U.S. States.:eusa_whistle:

Margaret Sanger, also from Planned Parenthood, who used the wealth of one of one of her husbands, Noah Slee, to promote her work. Slee made his fortune from the familiar household product, 3-In-One Oil.

holy crap, there's the one we're talking about, I wondered if the text you copied and pasted would get to her. Meanwhile, it's polite to provide a link to your source, and to wrap quote tags around copy and paste jobs.

The other Finance Committee members included:
Leon F. Whitney, the son of Eli Whitney inventor of the Cotton Gin who was the Chairman. The Draper Looms in Hopedale, MA were used to spin the raw cotton harvested by the Eli Whitney cotton gins into fabrics, cloth and yarn.
Frank L. Babbott, the well-known philanthropist and educator.
Madison Grant, later of The Pioneer Fund, founded by Wickliffe Draper following the 1936 Olympics when his namesake, Foy Draper, was edged out for Olympic glory by Jesse Owens and Ralph Metcalf.
Mrs. Helen Hartley Jenkins and John H. Kellogg who started the Kellogg's Cereal Company.
John Kellogg and The Race Betterment Foundation

Mandatory sterilization.

Yeah Maggie's a champ. She didn't just back abortions. She loved sterilization of the poor and the feeble minded.

Don't you get the fact that until the Nazis took it away and over the top California was like #1 in sterilizations?

So, in an organization as large as this, each member, according to you (and/or your unnamed source) is culpable and in 100% agreement with every thing each and every other member believed. Guilt by association :eusa_hand:

I don't think MLK would have accepted his Margaret Sanger award from PP (notice I linked his speech in a former post, and wrapped quote tags arund the copied text of Coretta's introductory remarks), if Sanger was what people like you make her out to be. You'll have to excuse me if I take the leader of the Civil Rights movements' word on the matter over your ill-considered opinion.

Last edited:
50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are MUCH more likely to be abused. Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Well just maybe they should,ist not a gold fish now is it?? You yourself were a small thing safe inside your mother,sating that your were not human kinda make no sense now does it??

As far as the rationalization that a child might be abused so it would be better to kill it now then let it live for its own good is beyond rational and frankly shows a cold dark heart.

Then the rebubs must like abuse,what you morphed into another R DEAN??

It will also help the issue of removing a fetus at any stage of gestation.

If they are in fact deemed a person... then there should also be no issue with removing them from inside someone else.. and letting them be a person...all on their own.

:thup:

works for me.

1 month old "person".... feel free to be your very own "person"... all on your very own..
:lol:

This is unbelievable.

Even the people of Mississippi rejected this.

The bill clearly states that the laws of the US are as we all known superior and unaffected by this bill. Since Abortion, thanks to the Supreme Court, is legal it does not effect that.

Well Virginia obvious wants to drive their abortion businesses into another state.

They must hate free trade and loath individual rights, too.

Communists.

HA! All pregnant women in VA who take a drink or smoke a cig are guilty of a crime against children.
Or if they even go into a bar or other adults only place?

And would sex with a pregger woman be sexual child abuse?

Welfare for the unborn?

A large can of worms this opens.

Last edited:
why is it the right aways goes for whatever they can get even when it is against what the vast majority of Americans want?

why is it the right aways goes for whatever they can get even when it is against what the vast majority of Americans want?

Because they are always right and those who oppose them are always wrong. And they do not understand degrees of difference, a shortcoming of their absolutist philosophy.

Forum List

Back