The Upside of Pentagon Budget Cuts

by Mark Thompson @ The Upside of Pentagon Budget Cuts | TIME.com gives us a great graphic and comments well worth reading.

Sorry, I was laughing to hard at that article. Talk about a biased hatchet job that is trying to make people feel good about the military budget getting the axe!

"One officer" says this, and "out graphic" says that. If Time has a problem with the acquisition process, then maybe they should take that up with Congress, since that bloat is because of laws passed by congress in the first place.

Or why the DoD feels like it has to have 1 civilian employee for ever 2 military members. And no, that is not a joke, the DoD supports 1.4 million service members, and over 750,000direct hire (mostly Union) civilian employees.

Or why I should take that scientest seriously at all. Wow, a military drone developed in 1975, and it crashed in 1977. Well duh, drones were just starting at that time to be developed for military use. And that was 2 years into a 8 year development program. At that time, the equipment needed to move the system from place to place required a 5 ton truck to move.

By the time it was fielded, it could fit in the back of a HMMWV. And the MQM-105 did not need "30 people to launch it"? Really? I guess the day he was watching the tests the crane broke, so they had to lift it onto the launching system by hand.

lockheed-mqm105-aquila_2.jpg

So wow, calling an early prototype unwieldy, that tells me what exactly? Maybe I should consider the Mac a bad computer, because the companies first computer came in a wooden case. Or the gigantic and unrealistic size of PATRIOT radar systems, simply because the very first prototype literally was "the size of a house" (it was built in the side of a large steel building).

Forum List

Back