The unemployment rate DID NOT FALL / ITS ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS PEOPLE

Simply amazing. Conservatives rant ad nauseum about the size of government and need to shrink it,

and then, when you point out that roughly 300,000 government employees have lost their jobs in the past year,

not one of those same Conservatives will step up and say, YES! I'm GLAD!

What the fuck?

Why exactly do you think someone deserves credit for something when they accomplished it by pure accident and coincidence? Obama didn't intend to shrink the govt so he deserves nothing, except a swift defeat in 2012.

Translation: if it's bad employment news it must have been Obama's fault; if it's good employment news, it can't possibly be to Obama's credit.

My words don't require translation. They are self explanitory. Unlike this administration you don't have to dig to get truth out of me. Hell 3 pages back I admittedly got schooled by another poster. Can't you get it? It's really not that hard. Unless Obama admits these numbers are severely misleading he IS A FRAUD TRYING TO DECEIVE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

But a key reason the unemployment rate fell so much was that more than 300,000 people gave up looking for work and were no longer counted as unemployed.

You don't understand HOW unemployment is computed.

But you know...your complaint about unemployment statistics generally has validity.

A MUCH better measure of the employment picture is this:

What percentage of all POTENTIAL workers are working?
Why do you consider that better? The vast majority of people not working are not working by choice. Proof: Unemployed = 13,303,000, Not in labor force = 86,558,000 Of those not in the labor force 6,595,000 say they want a job (regardless of actually being able to take a job if offered). So total of 99,861,000 people 16+ not in prison or institution do not have jobs. 19,898,000 say they want a job (13,303,000 are actually doing something about it). 19,898,000/99,861,000 = .2 = 20%

So if 80% of the people not working don't want to work, why is including them better?

I am informed that currently 139.206 million people (58.3% of labor force) are employed.
No, the labor force is Available Labor (Employed + Unemployed. You're talking about the employment to population ratio, which is employed/adult non-institutional population and it just went up to 58.4%

Here's why that doesn't work: Let's compare Nov 2011 to Nov 1952. Emp-pop ratio nov 2011 is 58.4%. Emp-pop ratio nov 1952 was 57.5% So by your reckoning things back then were worse. But the unemployment rate in nov 1952 was 2.8% while now it's 8.6%

In other words, while a smaller percent of the population was employed in 1952, a much much larger percent of people who were trying to work was employed.

Why exactly do you think someone deserves credit for something when they accomplished it by pure accident and coincidence? Obama didn't intend to shrink the govt so he deserves nothing, except a swift defeat in 2012.

Translation: if it's bad employment news it must have been Obama's fault; if it's good employment news, it can't possibly be to Obama's credit.

My words don't require translation. They are self explanitory. Unlike this administration you don't have to dig to get truth out of me. Hell 3 pages back I admittedly got schooled by another poster. Can't you get it? It's really not that hard. Unless Obama admits these numbers are severely misleading he IS A FRAUD TRYING TO DECEIVE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

Its Family Fued.......................

Unemployment...What are the real numbers.......???????????

SURVEY SAYS................................

What makes you think he even understands the numbers? He has nothing at all do with them. The night before release, BLS gives an advance copy to his advisors, but that's it.

According to this article another 2 million will fall off in February resulting in a lower UE rate despite the fact that they won't actually have jobs.

But Congress will soon have to decide whether to continue funding Washington's share of the 99-week benefits program. Should it fail to extend the program, a further 2 million unemployed stand to lose their benefits come February. Americans Fall Through the Safety Net as Slump Lingers | Common Dreams

And because of the screwy way they count the unemployed all Obama has to do is let their benefits expire.

In effect.....do nothing. The unemployment rate will artificially go way down. The Libs will be doing hand-springs and the media will illustrate how wonderful the economy is.

And more and more people will be unemployed regardless.

Obama will soon be on his 17 day holiday in Hawaii. Another vacation for the wayward President that will last into 2012.

He gets to chill and do nothing again and the media will take care of the rest.

What makes you think he even understands the numbers? He has nothing at all do with them. The night before release, BLS gives an advance copy to his advisors, but that's it.

If I, a construction dude from middle America,
Can find the truth then certainly he can.

According to this article another 2 million will fall off in February resulting in a lower UE rate despite the fact that they won't actually have jobs.

But Congress will soon have to decide whether to continue funding Washington's share of the 99-week benefits program. Should it fail to extend the program, a further 2 million unemployed stand to lose their benefits come February. Americans Fall Through the Safety Net as Slump Lingers | Common Dreams

And because of the screwy way they count the unemployed all Obama has to do is let their benefits expire.

In effect.....do nothing. The unemployment rate will artificially go way down. The Libs will be doing hand-springs and the media will illustrate how wonderful the economy is.

And more and more people will be unemployed regardless.

Obama will soon be on his 17 day holiday in Hawaii. Another vacation for the wayward President that will last into 2012.

He gets to chill and do nothing again and the media will take care of the rest.
And the common theme of all of this will be to blame the Republicans. By design.

Seriously, are we all so stupid as to believe the numbers without checking into the details? The amount of people counted as unemployed fell because they no longer qualify for benefits. Therefore the govt has no way to track them. Their benefits expired, nothing more.

Snip-
The Labor Department reported before the market opened that the unemployment rate fell to 8.6 percent last month, the lowest level in 2 1/2 years. Economists had expected the rate to stay at 9 percent. But a key reason the unemployment rate fell so much was that more than 300,000 people gave up looking for work and were no longer counted as unemployed.

Today's Stock Market News - DailyFinance

Also seasonal temporary employment accounted for more than 50000 of the so called new hires. Those jobs will be gone in a month.

If UE benefits are extended again those not currently counted as unemployed will once again be counted resulting in a sharp increase in the UE numbers.

Obama is playing everyone for fools and many are falling for it. Sad

I really can't stand threads like this. There always has to be some jackass that likes to tout that the entire forum is being naive and misguided based upon "gray" good news.

Yes, Gramps, we get it - the latest economic news actually isn't what it appears. We didn't need you to tell us that. :eusa_hand:

Seriously, are we all so stupid as to believe the numbers without checking into the details? The amount of people counted as unemployed fell because they no longer qualify for benefits. Therefore the govt has no way to track them. Their benefits expired, nothing more.

Snip-
The Labor Department reported before the market opened that the unemployment rate fell to 8.6 percent last month, the lowest level in 2 1/2 years. Economists had expected the rate to stay at 9 percent. But a key reason the unemployment rate fell so much was that more than 300,000 people gave up looking for work and were no longer counted as unemployed.

Today's Stock Market News - DailyFinance

Also seasonal temporary employment accounted for more than 50000 of the so called new hires. Those jobs will be gone in a month.

If UE benefits are extended again those not currently counted as unemployed will once again be counted resulting in a sharp increase in the UE numbers.

Obama is playing everyone for fools and many are falling for it. Sad

I really can't stand threads like this. There always has to be some jackass that likes to tout that the entire forum is being naive and misguided based upon "gray" good news.

Yes, Gramps, we get it - the latest economic news actually isn't what it appears. We didn't need you to tell us that. :eusa_hand:

Obviously many do otherwise there wouldn't be so many "look what my God, Obama, accomplished" threads posted on the subject.

Simply amazing. Conservatives rant ad nauseum about the size of government and need to shrink it,

and then, when you point out that roughly 300,000 government employees have lost their jobs in the past year,

not one of those same Conservatives will step up and say, YES! I'm GLAD!

What the fuck?

Yes, I'm glad. Government is still functioning, guess they didn't need all those extra people after all.

Then quit complaining about the weak employment numbers, and quit trying to blame them on the president.

It's his fault.

One of the primary reasons for unemployment staying so high is the feeling of uncertainty in the job market and Obama is the primary cause of that. His rhetoric, his lack of leadership, his refusal to do his job, grid-lock in Congress.

You simply refuse to recognize how much he effects it.

Last edited:
But a key reason the unemployment rate fell so much was that more than 300,000 people gave up looking for work and were no longer counted as unemployed.

You don't understand HOW unemployment is computed.

But you know...your complaint about unemployment statistics generally has validity.

A MUCH better measure of the employment picture is this:

What percentage of all POTENTIAL workers are working?
Why do you consider that better? The vast majority of people not working are not working by choice. Proof: Unemployed = 13,303,000, Not in labor force = 86,558,000 Of those not in the labor force 6,595,000 say they want a job (regardless of actually being able to take a job if offered). So total of 99,861,000 people 16+ not in prison or institution do not have jobs. 19,898,000 say they want a job (13,303,000 are actually doing something about it). 19,898,000/99,861,000 = .2 = 20%

So if 80% of the people not working don't want to work, why is including them better?

I am informed that currently 139.206 million people (58.3% of labor force) are employed.
No, the labor force is Available Labor (Employed + Unemployed. You're talking about the employment to population ratio, which is employed/adult non-institutional population and it just went up to 58.4%

Here's why that doesn't work: Let's compare Nov 2011 to Nov 1952. Emp-pop ratio nov 2011 is 58.4%. Emp-pop ratio nov 1952 was 57.5% So by your reckoning things back then were worse. But the unemployment rate in nov 1952 was 2.8% while now it's 8.6%

In other words, while a smaller percent of the population was employed in 1952, a much much larger percent of people who were trying to work was employed.

Because not including people that have simply given up is completely asinine. Period.

Perhaps a better system would count the number of unemployed households vs the total households. That really would be the crux of the matter.

And do you know why government payrolls are down?? It's because government isn't collecting enough $, you know why it's not collecting enough money?? It's because people can't find jobs to pay their taxes. When private sector jobs go down, it's only common sense government jobs also decrease. It's those out of work taxpayers that pay government salaries.

You know damn well that not collecting enough money has never stopped the government from spending more money anyway. So please come out saying things like this when they are so obviously inaccurate.

???

So....he did it by accident? He leave off a couple zeros by mistake? Someone forget to open the side employee entrance one day, and a bunch of people just went back home thinking they were fired?

Clearly, you've not been paying attention to the thread.

No....you haven't been.

Needless to say, when something good happens it's Obama. When something bad happens, he's never to blame.

What's good and what's bad is also a matter of interpretation.

With respect, Grampa, I have to ask you what you think the "truth" is. You admittedly (honorably) noted that you didn't have the correct information regarding how the unemployment rate is calculated. Your initial claim that the rate is "smoke and mirrors" was based on your earlier misconception. So now, with the knowledge of how it really is calculated, I ask you where are the smoke and mirrors, and what is the "truth" and how do you justify calling it the "truth" over what the BLS has published?

With respect, Grampa, I have to ask you what you think the "truth" is. You admittedly (honorably) noted that you didn't have the correct information regarding how the unemployment rate is calculated. Your initial claim that the rate is "smoke and mirrors" was based on your earlier misconception. So now, with the knowledge of how it really is calculated, I ask you where are the smoke and mirrors, and what is the "truth" and how do you justify calling it the "truth" over what the BLS has published?

My interpretation of the method was certainly wrong but the facts that the numbers are still not correct is accurate. Read the links. I misunderstood the method not the results.

It's his fault.

One of the primary reasons for unemployment staying so high is the feeling of uncertainty in the job market and Obama is the primary cause of that. His rhetoric, his lack of leadership, his refusal to do his job, grid-lock in Congress.

You simply refuse to recognize how much he effects it.

Just so you know, I'm going to bookmark this comment, and one day down the road when you try to claim that the President doesn't have much control over the economy in the first place, I'm going to bring this up. It's absolutely preposterous to claim that a President has such sweeping control over the economy, and that he is responsible for the decisions of others. It wasn't true under Bush, it wasn't true under Obama, and it won't be true under Romney. Yes, President's can set agendas that effect the economy, but the sweeping control you are suggesting is absurd.

Because not including people that have simply given up is completely asinine. Period.

So it's less asinine to count people as unemployed who choose not to work because they stay at home with the kids, or people who don't work because they are disabled and incapable, or people who don't work because they are retired, or people who choose not to work because they are entitled trust fund kids? What would be the good of counting these people in the unemployment roles?

So it's less asinine to count people as unemployed who choose not to work because they stay at home with the kids, or people who don't work because they are disabled and incapable, or people who don't work because they are retired, or people who choose not to work because they are entitled trust fund kids? What would be the good of counting these people in the unemployment roles?

Your projecting now. He didn't say any of those groups should be counted.

Prove your in the middle and realize that not counting people who have given up is bs.

Forum List

Back