The Ten Commandments

If one looks at the first four of the 10 commandments one has to conclude that they are the ravings of a SUPREME EGOIST.

I have always doubted the possibility that an entity capable of inventing the universe would be SO DAMNED PETTY.

It is a flawed universe after all so therefore the "creator" must also have flaws.
:D Of course that flies in the face of the "perfection" belief.

And actually calls into question whether a non-omnipotent deity is worthy of worship.

If one looks at the first four of the 10 commandments one has to conclude that they are the ravings of a SUPREME EGOIST.

I have always doubted the possibility that an entity capable of inventing the universe would be SO DAMNED PETTY.

It is a flawed universe after all so therefore the "creator" must also have flaws.
:D Of course that flies in the face of the "perfection" belief.

And actually calls into question whether a non-omnipotent deity is worthy of worship.

Omnipotence is a paradox. If a deity can create something that he cannot subsequently destroy he is not omnipotent and vice versa. Therefore all deities cannot be omnipotent so your point about being unworthy of worship is valid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-RGN21TSGk]Ten Commandments - by George Carlin - YouTube[/ame]

After watching the Ten Commandments on TV last night it reminds me of how God, the creator of the earth and he stars, who created man in his own image, was not having one of his better days when he wrote the Ten Commandments. I could have done a better job.

... I could have done a better job

maybe in writing the Bible

there is only one Commandment ... accomplish Remission to the Everlasting or perish.

As man gets smarter and smarter, he'll find he has no need for a God anymore.

In fact, he will be deluded into thinking that he is God. And thus will begin the downfall of man.

I see no reason to believe that.

Anything Mankind attains can be classified as "knowledge" (although there are degrees of certainty, probability, and possibility) and reason fundamentally is the only method we have of attaining it.

Our history defines that mankind will continue to peel back the layers of mystery - things that have been previously ascribed to the gods - and he can only do so using his rationality and reason. You may snicker at those superstitious Greeks and Romans for their polytheistic gods but honestly, how much different are the judeo-christian gods?

Mankind is no more his own god now than it was 300 years ago when religious mobs were burning witches at the stake. We are more knowledgeable... at least some of us. Fortunately, we no longer torch people in the public square on a rumor of possession by the devil / evil spirits.

[MENTION=37754]Hollie[/MENTION]: Where does knowledge come from? Man? Where does the will to seek it out come from? Nowhere? And do you judge Christians now for the behavior of their ancestors? Are you one of those folks that think we condone the practices spoken as punishment in the Old Testament?

I'm gonna have to stop you right there. You know nothing about Christianity. But I invite you to be a part of it if you really want to find out for yourself.

As man gets smarter and smarter, he'll find he has no need for a God anymore.

In fact, he will be deluded into thinking that he is God. And thus will begin the downfall of man.

I see no reason to believe that.

Anything Mankind attains can be classified as "knowledge" (although there are degrees of certainty, probability, and possibility) and reason fundamentally is the only method we have of attaining it.

Our history defines that mankind will continue to peel back the layers of mystery - things that have been previously ascribed to the gods - and he can only do so using his rationality and reason. You may snicker at those superstitious Greeks and Romans for their polytheistic gods but honestly, how much different are the judeo-christian gods?

Mankind is no more his own god now than it was 300 years ago when religious mobs were burning witches at the stake. We are more knowledgeable... at least some of us. Fortunately, we no longer torch people in the public square on a rumor of possession by the devil / evil spirits.
Some people still do.
See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...burned-alive-pile-tyres-Papua-New-Guinea.html
A young mother was burned alive in Papua New Guinea this week after townspeople accused her of being a witch.According to multiple reports, Kepari Leniata, 20, was tortured and killed in front of a mob of hundreds in the town of Mount Hagen. The woman, stripped naked and covered in gasoline, was burned alive on a pile of trash by relatives of a young boy who had died earlier in the week. The relatives had accused Leniata of killing him with sorcery.

Last edited:
[MENTION=37754]Hollie[/MENTION]: Where does knowledge come from? Man? Where does the will to seek it out come from? Nowhere? And do you judge Christians now for the behavior of their ancestors? Are you one of those folks that think we condone the practices spoken as punishment in the Old Testament?

I'm gonna have to stop you right there. You know nothing about Christianity. But I invite you to be a part of it if you really want to find out for yourself.

Knowledge comes from a host of sources. If you are at all familiar with the procedures of the scientific method, you have a framework for attaining knowledge. Not surprisingly, apologists tend to recoil at that suggestion because it involves holding them to a standard that they're unwilling to accept.

Ultimately, it will be the process of science that will explore and discover. Now, it's possible that science could be stymied and could hit the wall so-to-speak at finding a purely natural cause but that still wouldn't prove a supernatural causation. Not all the tools of science are in hand and scientific discoveries are on-going.

How do we discern the truth? By faith? By assertion and stepping away and accepting untested and anecdotal claims? Or do we assiduously test our truths, hold them up to scrutiny, demand they be accountable at some level?

Actually--there are alot more commandments than 10.

When you read them, you can understand why Moses was on the mountain top and why his hair was so gray when it came down.. Some of those laws are unbearable even for a right-wing christian conservative!!

Forum List

Back