the state of the rich

Here Rightie-drones :clap2: :

thegapbetweenthetop1and.jpg

Wonder why Fox TV never tells them (you) this? :eusa_whistle: :lol:

Nothing to see here people :eusa_shhh: Just move along. :eusa_whistle: This is why I know Republicorp draws people to their 'white wave' of a party for > than just "economics" :cuckoo: :lol:

why is it that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer? I am 58 years old and I have never owned a home. I am so tired of living from paycheck to paycheck. the rich always seem to have what ever they want. when the poor ask for help they just get laughed at and they get no help. the rich get driven around in shiny new cars and the poor are lucky to own a 12 year old car, then they have to buy insurance and gas and that fixes i so they can not buy much in food. WHEN WILL IT GET BETTER?:doubt::(:(

Get up off your ass and work harder.

So says the echo of Callous Conservativism. Lacking at least a hint of empathy, the implied criticism is, it is all about personal responsibility. The callous conservative never figures into the calculus the myriad of factors which create the generational poor or the road blocks conservative 'principles' and prejudice impact too many of our citizens.

why is it that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer? I am 58 years old and I have never owned a home. I am so tired of living from paycheck to paycheck. the rich always seem to have what ever they want. when the poor ask for help they just get laughed at and they get no help. the rich get driven around in shiny new cars and the poor are lucky to own a 12 year old car, then they have to buy insurance and gas and that fixes i so they can not buy much in food. WHEN WILL IT GET BETTER?:doubt::(:(

Quit waiting for government to make you richer. The rich work an average of a 70 hour work week and they don't expect it to fall into their laps. They busted their asses to earn it. They possess character traits YOU don't -first of all you'd never see any of them write a whiny ass post like yours. They are more driven than you, more ambitious than you, more innovative and more able to think outside of the box than you -and even at their lowest dealing with what looks like never ending set backs, are FAR less self-pitying than you. They don't have time for that kind of crap because they know it is a self-defeating attitude. And your post just DRIPS with self-defeat and self-pity. You aren't rich because of YOU. You didn't want it enough, weren't willing to work enough, chose paths that would never lead to greater wealth and settled for less. No one else did it to you -if becoming rich was a major priority in life for you all this time, then YOU sabotaged yourself at all times by the decisions YOU made in life. If you can't get rich in this country -you were never going to get rich ANYWHERE because there is no easier place on the planet to get rich than THIS country. If buying a house was on your list of priorities, where were you when banks were giving out loans to people they knew would never pay it off? When NO down payment was required and only a minimum income needed? If you make enough to pay rent, you could have had a house. So there is NO excuse for not having a house -except you didn't bother to get off your fat ass and go buy one when they were giving loans to anyone so obviously it was NOT on your list of priorities at all.

How's that class envy working out for you, huh? Made you one dime richer yet? I decided I did not want to work a 70 hour work week, I didn't burn with envy and being rich was never on my list of priorities. I knew I would have to sacrifice so much else in life to do it -so I decided being wealthy was not going to be worth the rich, full life I made a priority over being rich. So I know why I'm not rich -but unlike you, I never expected the choices I made to make me rich in the first place! And I sure as hell don't envy people who made other choices in life! In fact I wish more people would get rich because it makes MY life easier the more rich people we have in this country. My share of taxes is less when we have a lot of rich people. But my share of the benefits from those taxes is not lessened. For those at the bottom, it is because we have such a large class of rich compared to other countries that makes our POOR the envy of so many others. And even those too stupid to understand it, our POOR actually have a middle class income and lifestyle according to the international definition of "poor" -because of the wealthy in this country who bring up the standard of living for everyone along with their own. When the pool of rich expands it raises the standard of living for the rest and it puts upward pressure on incomes for everyone. But likewise when that pool of wealthy contracts, the standard of living for those at the very bottom gets worse and wages become stagnant and even drop. So having a lot of rich people in this country is a good thing, not an "evil" conspiracy trying to keep you back. You only kept yourself back and people have started off in much worse condition yet managed to succeed in spite of it. So what's your REAL excuse for YOUR failures in life now?

Unlike most other countries the IRS records show the American "rich" is a very fluid class in this country with only a tiny percentage with hardened wealth -the kind of hardened wealth that is unaffected by a bad economy and unaffected by raising income taxes kind of wealth. In other countries that group is much, much larger than it is here and the pool of fluid wealth very tiny so far more difficult for those who want to be rich. Our country is is the best place to try and earn wealth if you are driven enough. (But NOWHERE is there a guarantee you will.) That means the majority of those who are "rich" will not be the same people even 10 years later -so it will be people who became rich during that time while those who were rich have dropped down. It is much harder to STAY rich than people realize. So if those who are "rich" is constantly changing in this country -which it is -who the fuck are you to sit around all whiny and envying them as if this is a permanent class of some kind like they are all landed gentry with permanent wealth? Either get off your fat ass and work harder and learn how to pick yourself up again when it doesn't work out. Or sit back and wait for hell to freeze over so it will just fall in your lap. Or hope the rich get hit with punitive taxes and then wait and see how that actually ends up fucking YOU over the most.

Or decide when you wake up if you are still breathing, have clean clothes to wear and have something to eat its a pretty damn good day after all -because times are going to get much, MUCH rougher for all of us. Including you -maybe especially you.

Last edited:

Quit waiting for government to make you richer. The rich work an average of a 70 work week and they don't expect it to fall into their laps. They busted their asses to earn it. They possess character traits YOU don't -first of all you'd never see any of them write a whiny ass post like yours. They are more driven than you, more ambitious than you, more innovative and more able to think outside of the box than you -and even at their lowest dealing with what looks like never ending set backs, are FAR less self-pitying than you. They don't have time for that kind of crap because they know it is a self-defeating attitude. And your post just DRIPS with self-defeat and self-pity. You aren't rich because of YOU. You didn't want it enough, weren't willing to work enough, chose paths that would never lead to greater wealth and settled for less. No one else did it to you -if becoming rich was a major priority in life for you all this time, then YOU sabotaged yourself at all times by the decisions YOU made in life. If you can't get rich in this country -you were never going to get rich ANYWHERE because there is no easier place on the planet to get rich than THIS country. If buying a house was on your list of priorities, where were you when banks were giving out loans to people they knew would never pay it off? When NO down payment was required and only a minimum income needed? If you make enough to pay rent, you could have had a house. So there is NO excuse for not having a house -except you didn't bother to get off your fat ass and go buy one when they were giving loans to anyone so obviously it was NOT on your list of priorities at all.

How's that class envy working out for you, huh? Made you one dime richer yet? I decided I did not want to work a 70 hour work week, I didn't burn with envy and being rich was never on my list of priorities. I knew I would have to sacrifice so much else in life to do it -so I decided being wealthy was not going to be worth the rich, full life I made a priority over being rich. So I know why I'm not rich -but unlike you, I never expected the choices I made to make me rich in the first place! And I sure as hell don't envy people who made other choices in life! In fact I wish more people would get rich because it makes MY life easier the more rich people we have in this country. My share of taxes is less when we have a lot of rich people. But my share of the benefits from those taxes is not lessened. For those at the bottom, it is because we have such a large class of rich compared to other countries that makes our POOR the envy of so many others. And even those too stupid to understand it, our POOR actually have a middle class income and lifestyle according to the international definition of "poor" -because of the wealthy in this country who bring up the standard of living for everyone along with their own. When the pool of rich expands it raises the standard of living for the rest and it puts upward pressure on incomes for everyone. But likewise when that pool of wealthy contracts, the standard of living for those at the very bottom gets worse and wages become stagnant and even drop. So having a lot of rich people in this country is a good thing, not an "evil" conspiracy trying to keep you back. You only kept yourself back and people have started off in much worse condition yet managed to succeed in spite of it. So what's your REAL excuse for YOUR failures in life now?

Unlike most other countries the IRS records show the American "rich" is a very fluid class in this country with only a tiny percentage with hardened wealth -the kind of hardened wealth that is unaffected by a bad economy and unaffected by raising income taxes kind of wealth. In other countries that group is much, much larger than it is here and the pool of fluid wealth very tiny so far more difficult for those who want to be rich. Our country is is the best place to try and earn wealth if you are driven enough. (But NOWHERE is there a guarantee you will.) That means the majority of those who are "rich" will not be the same people even 10 years later -so it will be people who became rich during that time while those who were rich have dropped down. It is much harder to STAY rich than people realize. So if those who are "rich" is constantly changing in this country -which it is -who the fuck are you to sit around all whiny and envying them as if this is a permanent class of some kind like they are all landed gentry with permanent wealth? Either get off your fat ass and work harder and learn how to pick yourself up again when it doesn't work out. Or sit back and wait for hell to freeze over so it will just fall in your lap. Or hope the rich get hit with punitive taxes and then wait and see how that actually ends up fucking YOU over the most.

Or decide when you wake up if you are still breathing, have clean clothes to wear and have something to eat its a pretty damn good day after all -because times are going to get much, MUCH rougher for all of us. Including you -maybe especially you.

Inspiring post there, Fraz.

And now for the reality based story...

http://www.economicmobility.org/assets/pdfs/EMP_InternationalComparisons_ChapterIII.pdf

Folks don't seem too sympathetic to your plight, and I'll leave it up to you to decide if they are right or wrong....

...but there is an economic reality to consider.

Taxes prevent folks from becoming rich, and from moving up on the economic scale...
To validate that comment it is necessary to know at what point one is "rich."

It simply isn't true that "taxes prevent folks from becoming "rich." Many Americans managed to accumulate exceptional amounts of personal assets (wealth) during the era of FDR's New Deal (late 40s to early 80s) when the progressive tax rate topped at 91%. But it must be noted that the same period gave rise to the American Middle Class by lifting millions out of poverty.

While I don't buy the myth "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer,"[...]
It's not a myth:

(Excerpt)
"We have had 30 years of massive Wealth Redistribution, but it's not what you think. Changes in tax laws, the loss of labor unions, and money in Washington have caused a massive Redistribution of Wealth. In 1960, the top 1% of American's held just 10% of our entire Nation's wealth. Today, the top 1% of American's hold over 40% of our Nation's entire wealth. Even more, the top 5% of American's now hold 63.5% of our entire Nation's wealth. Since 1980, we have seen middle class wealth be redistributed up.

The wealthy have seen over a 256% increase in salary since 1980 while middle class salaries have stagnated. Not only have middle class household salaries stagnated, employer benefits have disappeared. Pensions have almost entirely disappeared and were replaced by 401k's. Employer contributions to 401k's have been shrinking and replaced by employee contributions. The middle class now pays for more or all of their own retirement
."

Daily Kos: We Have Wealth Redistribution, But It's Not What You Think

[...]consider this:

one does not pay (federal) tax on what you own already...only on the money you earn on the way to acquiring same. So, the 'rich' keep their possessions untouched by taxes...you get hammered.
Very true. Which is why the tax system needs to be revised. Preferably restored to the pre-1980s levels.

Thank you.

Last edited:

So says the echo of Callous Conservativism. Lacking at least a hint of empathy, the implied criticism is, it is all about personal responsibility. The callous conservative never figures into the calculus the myriad of factors which create the generational poor or the road blocks conservative 'principles' and prejudice impact too many of our citizens.

This 'callous Conservative' believes that we should teach people to achieve for themselves instead of disrespecting them with handouts. I spent 6 hours this week doing just that.... voluntarily. What did you do for the poor this week?

The best response to such a pity party was done by Rush Limbaugh.

You want to be rich, right or at least well off? Ask yourself this question Rush put to a caller:

"What is it you do that is WORTH paying you enough to make you rich?"

People who make lots of money by their own effort (since you're not inheriting it or so it seems.) do so by developing skills or resources that make them WORTH being paid by those that DO have the money enough to make them rich or well off.

What skill, gift or quirk of fate can you use to make yourself WORTH being paid that much? What resource or product can you provide someone else that they value enough to pay you money for as an entrepreneur?

In this nation of social class mobility, which is nearly unique in the world, you control how high you rise in many many respects.

What are you willing to settle with as your standard of living? Sacrifice must be made, and it must all be yours. So settle or sacrifice, but either way, the choice is yours.

Years ago, an addiction counsellor I heard giving a pep talk to a youth rally pointed out that Fear and Pain are flip sides of the coin of motivation. Fear paralyzes, Pain motivates. It is only when pain overwhelms fear do people move.

Sounds like you've hit the point, now it's time to find a way to alleviate the pain.

Folks don't seem too sympathetic to your plight, and I'll leave it up to you to decide if they are right or wrong....

...but there is an economic reality to consider.

Taxes prevent folks from becoming rich, and from moving up on the economic scale...
To validate that comment it is necessary to know at what point one is "rich."

It simply isn't true that "taxes prevent folks from becoming "rich." Many Americans managed to accumulate exceptional amounts of personal assets (wealth) during the era of FDR's New Deal (late 40s to early 80s) when the progressive tax rate topped at 91%. But it must be noted that the same period gave rise to the American Middle Class by lifting millions out of poverty.

While I don't buy the myth "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer,"[...]
It's not a myth:

(Excerpt)
"We have had 30 years of massive Wealth Redistribution, but it's not what you think. Changes in tax laws, the loss of labor unions, and money in Washington have caused a massive Redistribution of Wealth. In 1960, the top 1% of American's held just 10% of our entire Nation's wealth. Today, the top 1% of American's hold over 40% of our Nation's entire wealth. Even more, the top 5% of American's now hold 63.5% of our entire Nation's wealth. Since 1980, we have seen middle class wealth be redistributed up.

The wealthy have seen over a 256% increase in salary since 1980 while middle class salaries have stagnated. Not only have middle class household salaries stagnated, employer benefits have disappeared. Pensions have almost entirely disappeared and were replaced by 401k's. Employer contributions to 401k's have been shrinking and replaced by employee contributions. The middle class now pays for more or all of their own retirement
."

Daily Kos: We Have Wealth Redistribution, But It's Not What You Think

[...]consider this:

one does not pay (federal) tax on what you own already...only on the money you earn on the way to acquiring same. So, the 'rich' keep their possessions untouched by taxes...you get hammered.
Very true!

Thank you.

1. The glaring error in your well-sourced post is the underlying idea that there is a 'rich' class in this nation.
No such class exists in an ongoing basis...merely as a snapshot in time.

"More than three-quarters of those working Americans whose incomes were in the bottom 20 percent in 1975 were also in the top 40 percent of income earners at some point by 1991, says Sowell."
Source: Thomas Sowell, "How Media Misuse Income Data To Match Their Preconceptions," Investor's Business Daily, January 12, 2010.
For text:
How Media Misuse Income Data To Match Their Preconceptions - Investors.com

2. When all sources of income are included -- wages, salaries, realized capital gains, dividends, business income and government benefits -- and taxes paid are deducted, households in the lowest income quintile saw a roughly 25% increase in their living standards from 1983 to 2005. (See chart nearby; the data is from the Congressional Budget Office's "Comprehensive Household Income.") This fact alone refutes the notion that the poor are getting poorer. They are not.
The data also show downward mobility among the highest income earners. The top 1% in 1996 saw an average decline in their real, after-tax incomes by 52% in the next 10 years.
America is still an opportunity society where talent and hard work can (almost always) overcome one's position at birth or at any point in time. Perhaps the best piece of news in this regard is the reduction in gaps between earnings of men and women, and between blacks and whites over the last 25 years.
http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB122143692536934297.html

3. There's a lot of income mobility in America, so comparing poor families today with the poor families of 10 years ago can be misleading because they're not the same families. Every year hundreds of thousands of new immigrants and the young enter the workforce at "poor" income levels. But the CBO study found that, with the exception of chronically poor families who have no breadwinner, low-income job holders are climbing the income ladder.
The Poor Get Richer - WSJ.com

4. Over half of the poor earning at or near the minimum wage are between the ages of 16 and 24. As Sowell wryly notes, “these individuals cannot remain from 16 to 24 years of age indefinitely, though that age category can of course continue indefinitely, providing many intellectuals with data to fit their preconceptions.”
An Independent Mind by Daniel J. Mahoney, City Journal 18 June 2010

So, it seems, Mikey, that you have been tricked into believing some bogus propaganda....

BTW...
Feb. 26, 2009- According to Michael Medved, today, the top 1%, that’s 1.65 million tax filers, earning $388,000 or more, earn 22% of the income but pay 40% of the taxes.
see » Why Aren’t the Rich Paying 50 Percent in Taxes? - Big Government

Feel their pain? Is that 'social justice'? Why?

This 'callous Conservative' believes that we should teach people to achieve for themselves instead of disrespecting them with handouts. I spent 6 hours this week doing just that.... voluntarily. What did you do for the poor this week?
Tough love's a bitch... but it's for your own good.

I'm not poor and my car is 14 years old. There is help for the poor...they just have to go looking for it.

That said, we need to raise the minimum wage...anyone who is working should make enough to support themselves without having to go to churches or the government for help.

So you're a miserable failure.

Tissue ?

He can't afford tissues?

Damn, he really is a failure. :lol:

lol you and warrior buy into the neocon bullshit and anyone who deosn't must be poor because they are lazy and stupid.

The only way to liberate oneself from poverty is to work your way out of it. Simple. There is no point whining about it. If one truly wants a better life, one has to work for it. Unless you think that rich people should just hand their money over to others. Is that the 'liberal' way? :lol:

Who's stopping you from improving yourself financially ?

Waiting for a handout from someone ?

Get off your ass and do something to better yourself financially, vs. bitching about it on on Internet forum.
That might be an appropriate response to someone who is habituated to living on the dole. But Sheree is a working person whose complaint is wage stagnation -- and she happens to be right.

Your criticism presumes anyone and everyone has the opportunity and ability to improve their financial circumstances within the existing economic reality which simply is not true. The statistical reality is the rich are getting richer while the working class is either standing still or falling through the cracks.

Quit waiting for government to make you richer. The rich work an average of a 70 work week and they don't expect it to fall into their laps. They busted their asses to earn it. They possess character traits YOU don't -first of all you'd never see any of them write a whiny ass post like yours. They are more driven than you, more ambitious than you, more innovative and more able to think outside of the box than you -and even at their lowest dealing with what looks like never ending set backs, are FAR less self-pitying than you. They don't have time for that kind of crap because they know it is a self-defeating attitude. And your post just DRIPS with self-defeat and self-pity. You aren't rich because of YOU. You didn't want it enough, weren't willing to work enough, chose paths that would never lead to greater wealth and settled for less. No one else did it to you -if becoming rich was a major priority in life for you all this time, then YOU sabotaged yourself at all times by the decisions YOU made in life. If you can't get rich in this country -you were never going to get rich ANYWHERE because there is no easier place on the planet to get rich than THIS country. If buying a house was on your list of priorities, where were you when banks were giving out loans to people they knew would never pay it off? When NO down payment was required and only a minimum income needed? If you make enough to pay rent, you could have had a house. So there is NO excuse for not having a house -except you didn't bother to get off your fat ass and go buy one when they were giving loans to anyone so obviously it was NOT on your list of priorities at all.

You must be a truly miserable person.

So you're a miserable failure.

Tissue ?

He can't afford tissues?

Damn, he really is a failure. :lol:

lol you and warrior buy into the neocon bullshit and anyone who deosn't must be poor because they are lazy and stupid.

I see you need to review the rules to stay out of poverty:

Four Secrets

1. Stay off drugs and alcohol. Doing drugs and booze destroys your focus and ability to plan. Under their influence you lose judgment, and make stupid decisions or take risky chances. On top of everything else, addiction is expensive. You spend money feeding an addiction, instead of on necessities or savings.

2. Finish your education. A high school diploma says you can stick to the rules. Most employers will not hire someone without a high school diploma because they view that individual as lacking the determination and self-discipline a 40-hour-a-week job takes. Besides, knowing something is better than knowing nothing. You cannot function effectively in today’s society if you cannot read, write, and do arithmetic.

3. Take a job. Any job. Working at any job, even at a minimum wage—“you want fries with that” job—is better than not working. Holding and keeping a job develops skills you need to avoid poverty. You build up self-discipline. You learn how to defer gratification, and plan long-term. Moreover, work provides opportunity. Do a good job even in a dead-end job and you have a chance to move to a better job. Store and restaurant managers are not born into those jobs. Many started as stockers or wait-staff.

4. Don’t have children out of wedlock. Children are expensive. They also come with all sorts of unexpected extra costs. A two-parent family can handle those shocks and expenses better than a single-parent family. Going it alone makes it hard to work. Going on the government dole often traps a mother into poverty. Fathering a child out of wedlock can result in child-support payments that prevent an unwed father from making ends meet, discouraging him from working.

e-gracenotes.org : Avoiding Poverty

At what point did we develop the mentalilty that everyone deserves a better life. All you deserve as an American is a chance at a better life. We all have that if we want to work for it.

If you eat then be glad for it.
If you have a roof over your head then be glad for it.
If you can stay warm in the winter then be glad for it.

Once you can do those things then you might be able to work for a better financial situation. There are no promises. You may never do any better than you are now.

Work work work

That is all you can do. There are no magic formulas or get rich quick schemes that are going to make your life better.

Sometime in frustration is does make you feel better to cry out against what you see as an injutice. There is no injustice. Some will always have more than others.

Forum List

Back