The Son Just Installed Windows 7 Ultimate On My Computer...

Windows always screams for a while after a fresh install.
Then gradually slows down.
At least all the versions up thru XP is that way.

Enjoy while you can.

... and this is SCREAMING! Wow... :eusa_eh:

If you moved up from Pista the yes, it would be.

I had XP, and it was getting to be a little hickupy, but the son, since he's in college for Networks Systems Analyst, is learning all this great new shit, so he wiped my C drive completely clean and did a full version install of Windows 7 Ultimate. My GAWD what a difference... "gee, my computer is fast again." He talked me into buying a big, new video card too. He said that since they have their own on board processor and ram and such, that that would also at least DOUBLE how fast my computer was, and I have 4 gig of ram in it now, and it's running fantastic now, I'm looking forward to my computer being a complete monster. Not bad for a four year old computer. It was the biggest and baddest I could buy back then though. It's about middle of the road now, but it'll have a lot of great stuff in it and it's running shit hot. I'm freakin' happy.

Ah hah! Now we have the whole story, new vid card and more RAM as well as Win7. Now to keep it that way. Go to CNet downloads, get CClean or Glary Utilities to clean out the registry on a regular basis and Auslogics disc defrag. I don't know if Windows has done anything about their uber-slow defrag software yet and Auslogics is simple but very good.

The son installed CCleaner as soon as he got it up and running. Haven't looked at defraging yet. Maybe I'll so that now...

Ringel05 wrote: ...get CClean or Glary Utilities to clean out the registry on a regular basis and Auslogics disc defrag.

CClean is pretty techy...

... not for beginners or those not familiar with what it can do...

... if ya don't know what yer doin'. (Found out the hard way.)

Glary has a built-in regcleaner easier to use w/o havin' to download Auslogics BoostSpeed...

... and a disc defrag similar to Auslogics...

... any particular reason to use both?

Last edited:
The son installed CCleaner as soon as he got it up and running. Haven't looked at defraging yet. Maybe I'll so that now...
I used that lightbeam with mozilla and block a whole lot of cookies that speeds your brower up too.

Word of warning:
If anyone is thinking about installing any open source software like Auslogics always choose the custom install option (not the "recommended") as many bundle other (generally unwanted) programs with theirs. Choosing "custom install" lets you unselect the additional software thereby foregoing the problem of having to uninstall said software, sometimes not an easy proposition.

Forum List

Back