CDZ The Senate and Supreme Court nominations

No...you can't make up a duty that you want them to have and then accuse them of not doing it...there is nothing in Article 3 that states they have to do anyting in particular in regards to judges...other than to advise the President about them and then give their consent before they fill their seats...that's it...

"Doing nothing" is not an option. They advise and consent. They have done neither.

"Do some research."

What part of "Consent" mandates how they determine their consent? Nothing in that makes them meet with anyone, or hold hearings....they just have to say yes or no and how they get there they make up on their own...

NAILED IT. THANK YOU!

They have said NEITHER yes, NOR no. They have done nothing.

They have said no action will be taken.

Indeed, and that's not an option in the Constitution. It was never contemplated by the framers. Ever. The "do nothing" position is totally unsupported. Frankly, it should be the Republicans here who need to find legislative historical support from the Founding Fathers that says the current tack of the Republican senate is within constitutional parameters. And the simple fact is, you can't.

They have to allow the appointment...that is consent....if they say they are not going to consent to the appointment they have done their job as well.....again, there is no specific number of justices in the Constitution, and that number is directly under the control of congress...not the President...he just gets to fill the seats when congress makes them.

No...you can't make up a duty that you want them to have and then accuse them of not doing it...there is nothing in Article 3 that states they have to do anyting in particular in regards to judges...other than to advise the President about them and then give their consent before they fill their seats...that's it...

"Doing nothing" is not an option. They advise and consent. They have done neither.

"Do some research."

What part of "Consent" mandates how they determine their consent? Nothing in that makes them meet with anyone, or hold hearings....they just have to say yes or no and how they get there they make up on their own...

NAILED IT. THANK YOU!

Indeed, and that's not an option in the Constitution. It was never contemplated by the framers. Ever. The "do nothing" position is totally unsupported. Frankly, it should be the Republicans here who need to find legislative historical support from the Founding Fathers that says the current tack of the Republican senate is within constitutional parameters. And the simple fact is, you can't.

Wrong...the entire constitution is set up to obstruct and block the accumulation of power and the concentration of power...that was the entire point to the 3 branches...and the consent power was a check against the Executive and Judicial branch...

What is the language of the Constitution?

Moving goalposts much? The question was about "intent".

Indeed. The language that was voted upon clearly indicates the intent. The Constitution as signed as the national agreement is law.

Want to change it? Add or subtract? You know the drill.

Until then, the Senate has no obligation to act.

Correct, and the senate is required to give advice and consent to the presidential nominee.

Please post the text mandating that requirement. It's about the tenth time I've asked.

[The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law.

The word "shall" is a synonym for "must" in this context. At no point does it state that the Senate "shall" do nothing.

Neither does it state the Senate "shall" do something.

"Shall", of course, applies to the president here, not the Senate. [The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate ...

Lacking such advice and consent, he shall not have power. Basic English.

What law school did you attend? Just curious.

According to whom?

I am not questioning the ability of Republicans to throw temper tantrums...it is what they do best

But for a party that wraps itself around the "intent" of our founding fathers, I doubt their intent was to allow Congress to do nothing in filling SCOTUS vacancies
Why do you think that?

From The Heritage Foundation

Guide to the Constitution

James Iredell, a leading proponent of ratification in North Carolina and subsequently a Supreme Court Justice, observed at his state's ratifying convention: "As to offices, the Senate has no other influence but a restraint on improper appointments. The President proposes such a man for such an office. The Senate has to consider upon it. If they think him improper, the President must nominate another, whose appointment ultimately again depends upon the Senate."

Note the bolded word in the quote above.

You understand that those are his words and are not in the Constitution? Surely you must.

The question was about the framers' intent. That document speaks to their intent.

That is his opinion and it is not binding to Congress.

NAILED IT. THANK YOU!

Indeed, and that's not an option in the Constitution. It was never contemplated by the framers. Ever. The "do nothing" position is totally unsupported.

Lacking a requirement to take action, said position needs no support.

The word "shall" is operative for both the president AND the Senate in the text of Article II.

Please post the text where "shall" applies to the Senate.

It's unsettled law at this point.

The Senate can do as it wishes until SCOTUS opines, but in this case, the Senate can do as it wishes, and who is to stop it?

I don't think there is anything unsettled by it- Senators can refuse to do their Constitutional duty for partisan reasons as the GOP is doing.

Its the new GOP.

I can point out that Senators have a Constitutional duty to 'advise and consent'- which they are shirking.

Senators can refuse to do their Constitutional duty for partisan reasons as the GOP is doing.

Its the new GOP.

This thread is moot anyway because Republicans will not be given the chance to stall anyway

Tipping their intent before the election is not a wise thing to do. Here is what Dems will do once they take the Senate and Hillary wins:

1. Chuck Schumer will use the Republican calls to not even consider Supreme Court nominees as justification to invoke the nuclear option on all judicial nominees

2. Garlands nomination as Justice will be withdrawn

3. Hillary will replace Garland with a younger and more liberal nominee

4. The Senate will quickly review and approve of the new nominee

Rinse and repeat as Ginsberg, Kennedy and Breyer resign in the next two years

The Senate is charged with keeping a reign on the POTUS.

Ergo the Senate should not confirm any SCOTUS nominations for the next 4 years.

The SCOTUS will simply then trickle down from 8 to 7 eventually when the hag Ginsberg croaks ... or retires ... whichever happens first.

Then with 7 only it will again be a balanced SCOTUS.

This thread is moot anyway because Republicans will not be given the chance to stall anyway

Tipping their intent before the election is not a wise thing to do. Here is what Dems will do once they take the Senate and Hillary wins:

1. Chuck Schumer will use the Republican calls to not even consider Supreme Court nominees as justification to invoke the nuclear option on all judicial nominees

At the very least, the GOP will be able to filibuster in the Senate for the next 4 years.

I am not questioning the ability of Republicans to throw temper tantrums...it is what they do best

But for a party that wraps itself around the "intent" of our founding fathers, I doubt their intent was to allow Congress to do nothing in filling SCOTUS vacancies
On the other hand it was never the intent of the Founding Freemasons to ever have a hag like Ginsberg on the court either.

Every SCOTUS nomination currently on the High Court from the DEM's has proved to be an activist who is in defiance of the Constitution.

According to whom?

Why do you think that?

James Iredell, a leading proponent of ratification in North Carolina and subsequently a Supreme Court Justice, observed at his state's ratifying convention: "As to offices, the Senate has no other influence but a restraint on improper appointments. The President proposes such a man for such an office. The Senate has to consider upon it. If they think him improper, the President must nominate another, whose appointment ultimately again depends upon the Senate."

Why is what they say so important?

I'm not sure what part of this you guys don't understand. The question asked of me was how did I know that the intent of the framers of the Constitution was that the Senate WOULD act on these nominations. I gave you a quote from an individual who was involved at the beginning that stated such. Seems pretty clear to me. If you really believe that it was intended to be optional then find me a quote from an individual with similar credentials who states that.

I believe the question being discussed was the existence of an obligation of the Senate to act.

Many things were said by all parties prior to ratification, but only the language agreed to and signed has any authority.

The Senate can do as it wishes until SCOTUS opines, but in this case, the Senate can do as it wishes, and who is to stop it?

I don't think there is anything unsettled by it- Senators can refuse to do their Constitutional duty for partisan reasons as the GOP is doing.

Its the new GOP.

Actually there is, as quoted previously, it says in article 2 section 2: "...shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court,..." Seems fairly clear that the COTUS sets the expectation for the Senate to "advise AND consent" or advise and withhold consent. Either way, they have an obligation to either consent or not, but the option of not addressing at all, I don't think so. The only reason to refuse to act is that they cannot get the votes needed to withhold consent, and the leadership doesn't want the nominee to be confirmed.

On the other hand it was never the intent of the Founding Freemasons to ever have a hag like Ginsberg on the court either.

Every SCOTUS nomination currently on the High Court from the DEM's has proved to be an activist who is in defiance of the Constitution.

LOL- yes- according to the 'intent' of the Founders- women couldn't be on the court, nor would an African American have been able to have been on the court.

But our founders never intended our Supreme Court to be just Republicans.

At the very least, the GOP will be able to filibuster in the Senate for the next 4 years.

I hope they do- nothing will demonstrate how the GOP is just the party of doing nothing.

The Senate is charged with keeping a reign on the POTUS.

I don't remember that part of the Constitution.

Myself- I look forward to Mitch McConnell admitting he was lying about holding off confirmation hearings to hear from the 'will of the people'- and just admit the GOP is just not going to do anything from now on.

Why do you think that?

I'm not sure what part of this you guys don't understand. The question asked of me was how did I know that the intent of the framers of the Constitution was that the Senate WOULD act on these nominations. I gave you a quote from an individual who was involved at the beginning that stated such. Seems pretty clear to me. If you really believe that it was intended to be optional then find me a quote from an individual with similar credentials who states that.

I believe the question being discussed was the existence of an obligation of the Senate to act.

Many things were said by all parties prior to ratification, but only the language agreed to and signed has any authority.

To get an idea of how ludicrous the idea that the Senate has no obligation to act and that only the exact language matters, let's look at another clause in the Constitution:

"The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States."

Note that this says "may" and not must. Following your logic, the Constitution would allow the Congress to put off holding a presidential election forever just by refusing to ever set a date. Do any of you that support this line of reasoning agree that Congress has no Constitutional requirement to set an election date?

Why do you think that?

To get an idea of how ludicrous the idea that the Senate has no obligation to act and that only the exact language matters, let's look at another clause in the Constitution:

"The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States."

Note that this says "may" and not must. Following your logic, the Constitution would allow the Congress to put off holding a presidential election forever just by refusing to ever set a date. Do any of you that support this line of reasoning agree that Congress has no Constitutional requirement to set an election date?

Such grasping. Apples and screwdrivers.

Note that the word "shall" here in the pertinent paragraph applies to the President, not the Senate.

[The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law.

The Senate could put off a vote or hearing forever if it wanted to.

There is no power in the Constitution to make it hold a hearing for a SCOTUS nomination if it did want to.

Who could make the Senate do it?

Its the new GOP.

Actually there is, as quoted previously, it says in article 2 section 2: "...shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court,..." Seems fairly clear that the COTUS sets the expectation for the Senate to "advise AND consent" or advise and withhold consent. Either way, they have an obligation to either consent or not, but the option of not addressing at all, I don't think so. The only reason to refuse to act is that they cannot get the votes needed to withhold consent, and the leadership doesn't want the nominee to be confirmed.

Sorry....nothing you posted says they have to do anything...the President shall nominate and with the advice and consent of the senate doesn't say they have to give consent....they appointee simply can't be confirmed without their consent...again, there is no mandate that they do anything...

Forum List

Back