The risks of climate disaster demand straight talking

Trakar

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
The risks of climate disaster demand straight talking - FT.com

By Howard Covington and Chris Rapley

These pages often focus on how the eurozone crisis will play out. Yet within a decade, this crisis will resolve itself one way or another. Meanwhile, the more important climate crisis gathers momentum with hardly a word on where it will lead. This is partly because climate change has slipped from the public agenda. But there is also, we suspect, a concern that climate is too contentious and complex a topic for a non-expert commentator to tackle. There may also be a fear that any honest appraisal of the possible course of events risks the charge of alarmism.
In our view, the first is not the case and the second is a poor excuse...

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. The risks of climate disaster demand straight talking - FT.com

(massive snip of material that deserves to be read)

...The evidence suggests that humanity is locked into a course that it has limited capacity or appetite to alter. Modern economies are built on fossil-fuelled growth. Changing this model materially and quickly has proved to be untenable in the absence of a disaster. Business-as-usual emissions growth is the consequence. This may well produce a disaster that we will be powerless to redress.
Those with a more optimistic view of human behaviour or of the impact of new technologies and practices may see better prospects of meaningful action to prevent such a disaster. They must be encouraged. Yet we must also prepare for the challenging times ahead. The Science Museum in London plans to create a forum for the public to discuss the issues with leading climate scientists. Such efforts are essential. We must begin to discuss the risks and impacts of a climate disaster, since our institutions and processes appear incapable of preventing it.

The writers are respectively a trustee of London’s Science Museum and chairman of the UK’s national mathematics research institute at Cambridge, and a professor of climate science at University College London.

our limitations and potential are regulated by the capabilities of the least among us.

the crazies on the right dont like science

Really TM? You like genetically modified food? Why not?

What do you think about homeopathic remedies? You like them?

How about Irradiating your food to make it safer?? OK with you?

Think Embryonic Stem Cells are better for R&D than scavenged versions?

Which you more afraid of --- Global Warming or Nuclear Power? ((Nuclear would largely solve GW))

You believe forests should be unmanaged and left in their natural states?

THe right has no lock on being anti-science.

Why am I not surprised by this ultra-elitist arrogance ????

""our limitations and potential are regulated by the capabilities of the least among us. """

All hail Trakar.. :udaman:

How could we follow anyone without a giant ego and no humility??

Last edited:

because you wake up to yourself everyday?

""our limitations and potential are regulated by the capabilities of the least among us. """

A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

I'm sure, for you, and several others here, this may be true.
But, I am not trying to lead anyone, its enough work just trying to chart and follow my own daily course.
I don't require anyone to tend after me, and I certainly don't have the desire to raise anymore children.

because you wake up to yourself everyday?

A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

I'm sure, for you, and several others here, this may be true.
But, I am not trying to lead anyone, its enough work just trying to chart and follow my own daily course.
I don't require anyone to tend after me, and I certainly don't have the desire to raise anymore children.

Damn -- I was hoping for a job just carrying your impressive coat-tails..

Just tell me one thing -- so I can get to sleep tonight. You're not in a position to influence young minds are you?

The risks of climate disaster demand straight talking - FT.com

By Howard Covington and Chris Rapley

These pages often focus on how the eurozone crisis will play out. Yet within a decade, this crisis will resolve itself one way or another. Meanwhile, the more important climate crisis gathers momentum with hardly a word on where it will lead. This is partly because climate change has slipped from the public agenda. But there is also, we suspect, a concern that climate is too contentious and complex a topic for a non-expert commentator to tackle. There may also be a fear that any honest appraisal of the possible course of events risks the charge of alarmism.
In our view, the first is not the case and the second is a poor excuse...

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. The risks of climate disaster demand straight talking - FT.com

(massive snip of material that deserves to be read)

...The evidence suggests that humanity is locked into a course that it has limited capacity or appetite to alter. Modern economies are built on fossil-fuelled growth. Changing this model materially and quickly has proved to be untenable in the absence of a disaster. Business-as-usual emissions growth is the consequence. This may well produce a disaster that we will be powerless to redress.
Those with a more optimistic view of human behaviour or of the impact of new technologies and practices may see better prospects of meaningful action to prevent such a disaster. They must be encouraged. Yet we must also prepare for the challenging times ahead. The Science Museum in London plans to create a forum for the public to discuss the issues with leading climate scientists. Such efforts are essential. We must begin to discuss the risks and impacts of a climate disaster, since our institutions and processes appear incapable of preventing it.

The writers are respectively a trustee of London’s Science Museum and chairman of the UK’s national mathematics research institute at Cambridge, and a professor of climate science at University College London.

our limitations and potential are regulated by the capabilities of the least among us.

What evidence? So far computer models are the only things saying what you want them to. The real world is inconveniently ignoring you and your wailing.

What evidence?

Climate Change: Evidence

Global Warming Frequently Asked Questions

AAAS - Global Climate-Change Resources

America's Climate Choices »

AGU Responds to Op-ed

The new IPCC report should be out next year but AR4 is valid if a bit dated.

more available, for those who have an interest.

AR4 valid? :lol::lol::lol::lol: Sure it is, if you don't give a shit about standards. Well that describes the cult of AGW so yes to the clueless and the unethical, AR4 is valid.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back