The "RINO" Thread

Most moderates describe themselves as fiscally conservative and socially moderate to liberal.

But they vote against fiscally more conservative positions... does this mean they weigh the social as a greater issue?? If so, this is why I do not side with moderates and more with conservatives and libertarians.. because even though I am socially more centrist, I am extremely conservative fiscally and I realize that the biggest problem is not whether gays marry, it is the financial situation and the size and spending of government...

My brother is a "conservative". We have decided to avoid discussing politics at family gatherings in order to keep things pleasant. He struggles with this, however.

Yesterday, my daughter.....who is his favoriite niece, was talking about a freind of hers who recently passed away after a half-year fight with cancer. She told him that she heard that we would probably find a cure for cancer before long.....expressing hope for the future.

Well, he exclaimed, " I hope not".

My daughter was rocked. She asked him why he felt that way. Her voice trembled.

He said that we don't have enough money to support our population as it is and we can't afford to have cancer cured.

Not sure things will ever be the same between them.

So now you attribute that view of your brother to every Conservative?

read ---

the words were "between THEM"

I voted for Romney.
Unfortunately the Republican right wing have turned into cry baby mama's boys that stay home if they do not get their way on EVERY issue.

Romney defies that label; he was - depending on who he thought was listening - a conservative, a liberal or pragmatic (moderate). He was always a Plutocrat.

I very much agree with that description....but, when he governed...his track record was very socially liberal.

AND he was overwhelming the choice of Republican moderates.

They, more than anyone else, are responsible for his nomination.

To come back and say "well, moderates didn't vote for this guy over Obama...and that's you social conservatives fault." is hypocrisy of the highest order.

And that's where this whole argument falls apart.

The Moderates got exactly what and who they wanted.

How exactly is that being "excluded from the party"?

And that's why the GOP won't go for another moderate. 2016 could be like 2008 in reverse.

I hope so. Do you see anyone on the horizon you like?

Next, math. According to FoxNews exit polls, moderates were 45% of the electorate in the 2012 Presidential election and voted for Obama over Romney, 56% to 41%. With 130 million Americans voting, that is a deficit of nearly 9 million voters. Obama beat Romney by 5 million votes.

Romney WAS a moderate.

This fact tumbles the RINO house of cards...and should steer the conversation in an entirely different direction.

Romney ran on

- cutting taxes
- cutting spending
- increasing defense spending
- closer ties with Israel and a more hard line on Iran
- repeal Obamacare

He also picked as his running mate the guy whose signature item is a radical restructuring of Medicare designed to limit spending on healthcare.

What was moderate about that? That may look moderate to the far right but it looks conservative to everyone else.

That's it? That's how low you set the bar?

I very much agree with that description....but, when he governed...his track record was very socially liberal.

To come back and say "well, moderates didn't vote for this guy over Obama...and that's you social conservatives fault." is hypocrisy of the highest order.

And that's why the GOP won't go for another moderate. 2016 could be like 2008 in reverse.

I hope so. Do you see anyone on the horizon you like?

No.

The GOP can't even get Republicans to vote for a strict conservative. How do they expect to get all of America to vote for them?
Here in Wisconsin democrats can vote in republican primaries. Not sure how many other states are like that but, there's your answer.

Prohibit democrats from voting in republican primaries.

Romney defies that label; he was - depending on who he thought was listening - a conservative, a liberal or pragmatic (moderate). He was always a Plutocrat.

Interesting final comment (that's high praise for you): If 2016 could be like 2008, in your context you seem to be suggesting someone from the far right will win the GOP nomination and then the office of President.

IMO, unless the GOP changes course, it will cease to be a factor in national elections after 2014. The moderates you disdain have already begun to move toward the center and abandon the doctrinaire hold the far right has had on the party since California passed prop. 13 in 1978.

If they succeed, they may be able to hold the House, if they do not then the Democrats will pick up enough seats to control the agenda and possibly 60 seats in the Senate. Moderates get this, the radical right can't be so blind as to not - yet apparently they are.

Last edited:
As soon as the RNC picked Romney to be their candidate; I knew Obama would win the election.

What the Republicans need is a Reaganesque type of individual who is a real conservative.

And who is a true leader and flag bearer of conservative views and values. :cool:

As soon as the RNC picked Romney to be their candidate; I knew Obama would win the election.

What the Republicans need is a Reaganesque type of individual who is a real conservative.

And who is a true leader and flag bearer of conservative views and values. :cool:

Which 2012 candidate would have been Reaganesque?

Todays Republicans would consider Reagan to be too moderate

Next, math. According to FoxNews exit polls, moderates were 45% of the electorate in the 2012 Presidential election and voted for Obama over Romney, 56% to 41%. With 130 million Americans voting, that is a deficit of nearly 9 million voters. Obama beat Romney by 5 million votes.

Romney WAS a moderate.

This fact tumbles the RINO house of cards...and should steer the conversation in an entirely different direction.

Romney ran on

- cutting taxes
- cutting spending
- repeal Obamacare

He also picked as his running mate the guy whose signature item is a radical restructuring of Medicare designed to limit spending on healthcare.

What was moderate about that? That may look moderate to the far right but it looks conservative to everyone else.

You define yourself as moderate, and you believe in these things, do you not?

So this proves nothing.

Romney was a moderate.

To deny it is foolishness.

And the to say? "Well we picked this guy, but it the social conservatives ...who didn't want him in the first place... it's their fault moderates didn't vote for him in the general election..." is total and complete hogwash.

This was YOUR candidate.

Fiscally conservative, and not socially conservative.

He was a pro-choice governor. "On a personal basis, I don't favor abortion. However, as governor of the commonwealth, I will protect a woman's right to choose under the laws of the country and the commonwealth. That's the same position I've had for many years."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governorship_of_Mitt_Romney#cite_note-i2000-a-142

He stated in 2002 "All citizens deserve equal rights, regardless of their sexual orientation. While he does not support gay marriage, Mitt Romney believes domestic partnership status should be recognized in a way that includes the potential for health benefits and rights of survivorship."

He signed an Assault weapons ban into law...and voiced support for reinstating the federal ban.

And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Now, deny it.

Let's hear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governorship_of_Mitt_Romney#cite_note-108

Romney WAS a moderate.

Romney ran on

- cutting taxes
- cutting spending
- repeal Obamacare

The higher the bar the more leave the party.
We can not have it both ways.

Was Reagan a "real conservative" by the current definition?

Irrelevant.

He had a short to do list.

Reagan's To Do List

1. Revitalize US Economy, put business people back in charge

2. Challenge and defeat Soviet Communism.

Not bad, Ronnie. Not bad at all.

Romney WAS a moderate.

Romney ran on

- cutting taxes
- cutting spending
- repeal Obamacare

It's not where I set the bar that matters, Frank.

Gay marriage? Who cares as it affects no one?
Abortion? Laws never stopped it and women were never prosecuted when it was illegal.
Those 2 issues alone bring in another 5% gain.

Was Reagan a "real conservative" by the current definition?

What is the current definition?

My definition is very Reaganeque...80% of a loaf is far better than no loaf at all.

Give me a candidate I feel is trustworthy and I agree with 80%...maybe even 75%...of the time, I'll support him (or her) in the primary...

And I supported Romney after the primary...not a difficult choice, considering 68% of a loaf is better than 20%.

Forum List

Back