The "RINO" Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toro, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,123
    This thread is for those who have left the party because they view it as being too extreme, or for the increasingly rare heretics in the party, the "RINOs."

First, scoreboard. The Republicans have lost 4 of the last 6 Presidential elections, the Presidential popular vote in 5 of the last 6 Presidential elections, and moderates in 5 of the last 6 Presidential elections, and will probably extend that losing streak if Hillary runs in 2016.

Next, math. According to FoxNews exit polls, moderates were 45% of the electorate in the 2012 Presidential election and voted for Obama over Romney, 56% to 41%. With 130 million Americans voting, that is a deficit of nearly 9 million voters. Obama beat Romney by 5 million votes.

For a party that reveres business, I find it odd that so many of the base believe that the best path to winning is to make the party more appealing to themselves and less appealing to everyone else. A successful businessperson wants to expand her market and sell her product to more people, not shrink the market and sell less. But that appears to be the course many in the party want to take.

As the base of the GOP does it's best to emulate the "success" of the Democrat party of the 1970s and 1980s by becoming too exclusionary and doctrinaire, think of this thread as a self-help thread for the Republican party as those who once considered themselves to be Republicans but are no more tell you why.

First, an assessment from Peggy Noonan, Reagan's speechwriter.

Noonan: Republicans Need to Talk - WSJ.com

And now, from one poster

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,524

I've been trying for the last several days on various threads to get a right-winger to explain precisely how the party is going to be successful in elections if they are able to rid themselves of "RINOs" and moderates. Seems like a pretty reasonable question.

No luck so far. Maybe this thread will do it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,123

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    I left the Rep party because I don't give a shit about gays or abortion.

I believe in letting people live as they please within the law.

I also don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes and religion doesn't mean jack shit to me.

I am however a fiscal conservative. I don't like the monster our Govt has turned into and I sure as shit don't like the way it spends our money.

Those Clowns in DC have done a fantastic job of taking care of themselves for life with our tax dollars.

Govt is way to big and I'm sure the FF would be turning in their graves if they got a good look at it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,123
    Most moderates describe themselves as fiscally conservative and socially moderate to liberal.

6. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,472
    My brother is a "conservative". We have decided to avoid discussing politics at family gatherings in order to keep things pleasant. He struggles with this, however.

Yesterday, my daughter.....who is his favoriite niece, was talking about a freind of hers who recently passed away after a half-year fight with cancer. She told him that she heard that we would probably find a cure for cancer before long.....expressing hope for the future.

Well, he exclaimed, " I hope not".

My daughter was rocked. She asked him why he felt that way. Her voice trembled.

He said that we don't have enough money to support our population as it is and we can't afford to have cancer cured.

Not sure things will ever be the same between them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    So now you attribute that view of your brother to every Conservative?

8. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,472
    Did I say that?

Just sharing some personal experience.

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    Perhaps, but what does that mean?

The GOP has worked on a model of getting working people voting against their own economic interests by pushing hot button social issues like gays, feminism, abortion, guns. Except those issues aren't selling as well as they did back in the 1980's.

Most working people would not vote for working harder for less money so a few rich assholes can be richer... but that's really the "fiscal conservatism" of the GOP today. Can they get working folks to keep swallowing the poison pill of plutocracy without the sugar coating of these social issues?

Probably not.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,233
    I tried. Thought I was pretty clear.

Guess you forgot already... or just didn't like what I said and prefer to pretend you didn't read it.