the results of austerity in england

Thanks to so-called Austerity, the average British citizen is now a couple percentage points poorer and a couple points more likely to be unemployed.

Policies have consequences.

You mean thanks to the policies that lead to austerity.
No, austerity was a choice.

It wasn't economic growth policy. Austerity cuts implies a country is forced to make cuts out of possible default.

You may think the measures were to harsh, but it's not ment to be nice.

Blaming the austerity cuts for a bad economy is crazy. They made those cuts for a reason, and they have to live with the consequences of making or not making them.

You can't ignore what put them in a position to decide on making the cuts.

You mean thanks to the policies that lead to austerity.

It wasn't economic growth policy. Austerity cuts implies a country is forced to make cuts out of possible default.

England was not facing a possible default.

Blaming the austerity cuts for a bad economy is crazy. They made those cuts for a reason, and they have to live with the consequences of making or not making them.

no, failing to see that removing aggregate demand from a depressed economy amplifies a recession is crazy.

What "put them in a position" was an election. The people chose the party that said it would slash government and cut demand.

Is Greece's crumbling economy in dire straits because of austerity cuts?

In part, yes. Greece is in trouble for four reasons:

1) they spent too much and ran up too much external debt.
2) they don't control their own currency, so they can't use monetary policy to ease the pain.
3) the other EU countries control their fiscal policy now, and those countries would rather see a million Greeks impoverished than a single German or French lose their jobs - because Germans vote in Germany, not Greece.
4) the policies being enforced by these outside nations (austerity) are causing the economy to crash even deeper because the private sector won't invest a wooden nickel in an economy without the support of it's own government.

Britain meets zero of those reasons.

no, failing to see that removing aggregate demand from a depressed economy amplifies a recession is crazy.

What "put them in a position" was an election. The people chose the party that said it would slash government and cut demand.

Well then they weren't austerity cuts. I'm not an expert on thier economy,so I don't know.

My point is the debate on wether austerity cuts work or not, is pretty retarded.

Well then they weren't austerity cuts. I'm not an expert on thier economy,so I don't know.

So, they were called austerity cuts. the party that proposed them called them austerity measures. Everyone knew they were attempting to be more...austere....

But they weren't austerity cuts?

Oh, ok then.

My point is the debate on wether austerity cuts work or not, is pretty retarded.

Indeed. They fail, virtually every time they are tried. That's the problem with hitching your monetary policy to the train of the ECB.

So....you don't dispute that Harding was the problem solver, and FDR was the cause of the problem?

Good.

You're never too old to learn.

Like a good rightwing conservatarian, you are: Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

I provided actual data. Evidence. You provided rightwing commentary and obviously mis-represented data....Has it sunk into you that AEI 's use of 1930 and 1931 data was an attempt to fool simpleminded people?

Then you pulled a Richard Nixon by attempting to claim victory and get out.

Predictable as the rising sun.

Well, then....let's do it again.

1. Harding cut taxes and government spending, and the recession was over in 18 months.

2. FDR functioned as a dictator, muzzling the free-market, imposing government regulations and taxes....and extended the recession into 'The Great Depression'....by some seven years.

3. I believe I see he problem: You're not aware that years are longer than months.

Here, let me help: 18 < 84.

4. Also....recessions are not considered beneficial.
Depressions, worse.

Clear?

2) they don't control their own currency, so they can't use monetary policy to ease the pain.
3) the other EU countries control their fiscal policy now, and those countries would rather see a million Greeks impoverished than a single German or French lose their jobs - because Germans vote in Germany, not Greece.
4) the policies being enforced by these outside nations (austerity) are causing the economy to crash even deeper because the private sector won't invest a wooden nickel in an economy without the support of it's own government.

they spent too much, and couldn't meet thier obligations, period.

They chose the euro. They should have known they can't print money, so don't overspend.

If they want a bailout, they are subject to conditions.

So, they were called austerity cuts. the party that proposed them called them austerity measures. Everyone knew they were attempting to be more...austere....

Oh, ok then.

Indeed. They fail, virtually every time they are tried. That's the problem with hitching your monetary policy to the train of the ECB.

you can't grasp what austerity cuts are.

So....you don't dispute that Harding was the problem solver, and FDR was the cause of the problem?

Good.

You're never too old to learn.

Like a good rightwing conservatarian, you are: Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

I provided actual data. Evidence. You provided rightwing commentary and obviously mis-represented data....Has it sunk into you that AEI 's use of 1930 and 1931 data was an attempt to fool simpleminded people?

Then you pulled a Richard Nixon by attempting to claim victory and get out.

Predictable as the rising sun.

Well, then....let's do it again.

1. Harding cut taxes and government spending, and the recession was over in 18 months.

Are you intentionally obtuse or do you have reading troubles?

Harding had a post-war slump. It helps when you have an entire continent to rebuild (unless it's your continent.)

2. FDR functioned as a dictator, muzzling the free-market, imposing government regulations and taxes....and extended the recession into 'The Great Depression'....by some seven years.
No, FDR Took office and promptly stopped bank runs. An economy that was losing 30% of its value when he took office turned around and had the fastest four-year period of peacetime growth in modern history.

Quit lying.

What makes you think they couldn't meet their obligations?

Oh, ok then.

you can't grasp what austerity cuts are.

Apparently, the Prime Minister of England, England's leading economists and the rest of the informed world can't grasp it either.

Only Rocko can grasp it!

Do you know how absurd you sound?

What makes you think they couldn't meet their obligations?

Are you joking? They already had the biggest default in world history.

Forum List

Back