The Resistance to Trump Grows

Jut saying..is the guy really nuts? He expect to govern without the military? Never mind that every living Ex-President is condemning his actions.

The Joint chiefs sent a reminder to all troops today...telling them to remember that they took an oath to the constitution..and to support free speech and the right to assemble--interpret that!

While rare -- and perhaps unprecedented -- for former military leaders to so publicly and forcefully criticize the commander in chief, Trump's flaunting of the Insurrection Act "was sufficiently disturbing that General Mattis chose to break his silence," Christine Wormuth, who served as a deputy under secretary of defense from 2012 to 2014, told ABC News.
The essay was the "inevitable conclusion" of the increasingly politicization of the military under the Trump administration and was meant to give a clear reminder to the military that they swore an oath to the Constitution, she said.
"It sends a strong message to members of the military to be reminded of what's important and to do what they think is right," Wormuth said.
Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, similarly sent an unusual message to the leaders of the different branches of the military that said members of the armed forces swore an oath to the Constitution and its protections for freedom of speech and assembly. The letter served as "cover" for the service leaders to "communicate their feelings" as well, Wormuth said.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Mattis's words sent a "shot across the bow" to the country's military leaders and could prove problematic for Trump.
"Mattis put a big symbolic barrier in his way and bolstered, I think, the instincts of some of the good people in the military who say we can’t be used like this," Schumer said in an interview with MSNBC.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, broke with most of her GOP colleagues on Capitol Hill by embracing Mattis' statement as "true, and honest, and necessary and overdue."
"I have been struggling for the right words, and I was encouraged a couple of nights ago when I was able to read what President Bush had written," she told reporters Thursday. "And I found that to be empowering for me as one leader.
"But then when I saw General Mattis’ comments yesterday, I felt like perhaps we are getting to a point where we can be more honest with the concerns that we might hold internally," she added. "And have the courage of our own convictions to speak up."
(MORE: Following Obama, Clinton and Bush, former president Jimmy Carter issues a statement on George Floyd protests)
Another Republican senator who has been more willing to criticize Trump than his colleagues, Mitt Romney of Utah, called Mattis's words "stunning and powerful."
"General Mattis is a man of extraordinary sacrifice," Romney said. "He's an American patriot. He's an individual whose judgment I respect, and I think the world of him. If I ever had to choose somebody to be in a foxhole with -- it would be with a General Mattis. What a wonderful, wonderful man.”
Amid the onslaught, stalwart Trump ally Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told Fox News that Mattis did not "understand" that people are trying to hurt Trump.
"The one thing I would tell General Mattis is that you don't quite understand that from the time President Trump wakes up till he goes to bed there's an effort to destroy his presidency," Graham said.
Like Trump, he pointed his finger at the press.

"To General Mattis, I think you're missing something here, my friend," Graham said. "You're missing the fact that the liberal media has taken every event in the last three and half years and laid it at the president's feet. I'm not saying he's blameless, but I am saying that you're buying into a narrative that I think is quite frankly unfair."
yea, there are left wing crackpot Democrats in the military also

Even the Secretary of Defense opposes it.

Since nothing you say can be believed...this is worthless without a credible link...but for the sake of argument, let's say he does.

It ain't his call. The troops will be more than happy to restore order and protectthe innocent from looters, arsonists and murders while allowing peaceful protests and even CIVIL disobedience.

Trust me...I know...once upon a time I was a soldier.
You lose again Skippy...

Not a loss...you can't be trusted because I've personally caught you in too many lies and half-truths.

But I appreciate the link. Thanks.

rightwinger You want to convince me we shouldn't send in the military...I'm already convinced. Just have the Democrats in charge of these cities DEMAND no soldiers are needed.

I'm sold.

This is a democrat problem in democrat cities under democrat leadership for as long as I've been alive...or two years longer than the time when Joe Biden was first elected to the US Senate 46 years ago.

Let the Dems figure it out. Not my problem. And feel free to protest in my neighborhood. I'd defend with my life your right to do so...and even to CIVILLY disobey authority.

But God as my witness...loot, burn and assault people here...we'll stack ya like cordwood.
We will handle it as soon as Trump and Republicans are defeated in November
Good luck with that. Since you have managed to assure his victory, no need to leave the light on for ya.

Look forward to seeing ya in 2024 though. ;)

“At fortified White House, Trump under verbal assault from military's top ranks”

And appropriately so.

Trump’s desire to use the military against citizens engaged in lawful protest is consistent with his contempt for the Constitution, the rule of law, and our democratic institutions.
Wrong again, the President has the right to use the Secret Service and the Military for his protection.
This issue just shows everyone once again that the Left Wingers are insane with hate.

Trump is just another rightwing scumbag – propagating the lie that those engaged in lawful protest are rioting and looting, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.
You know that Fox News can't get their own news, they are getting and broadcasting CNN video. I don't think Fox is even down on the ground with the protesters. Like that beautiful Katie Tur who marched for miles.

“Former” military.

The current military will obey the President in protecting US citizens being attacked by domestic terrorists.

It will destroy the morale of the military
More bullshit from USMBs foremost bullshiter.

Restoring order will do nothing but bolster morale.
About a third of the military is minorities. They will oppose taking arms against people protesting police brutality
Bullshit with your inane leftest conflation.

Protestors AREN'T arsonist, looters, theives, thugs and murderers.

Troops can stop the bad actors and protect the protesters rights.

Soldiers have HONOR. A CODE. It doesn't involve burning down innocent peoples property and beating innocent people.

Please quit while you are behind...you are insulting our soldiers, minority and otherwise, and embarrassing yourself.
And it's not about attacking US citizens either.

Morality. Ever hear it? Not from Trump so I guess the answer is no.
Sorry Man...when you're defending looter, arsonist, assaulters and murderers you've lost the moral highground. Restoring order is necessary. No one is forcing these criminal elements to rob, burn, beat and kill. They can have a choice. They can continue or they can stop. If they CHOOSE to continue and they are "attacked"...I guess that is the liberal word for the consequences lawlessness...it's their own fault.

Protesting peacefully...that is your right.

CIVIL disobedience...there are some consequences...maybe a night in jail...I get it.

Arson, rioting, beating innocent people, looting, killing? Expect to get "attacked". Deservedly.

Jut saying..is the guy really nuts? He expect to govern without the military? Never mind that every living Ex-President is condemning his actions.

The Joint chiefs sent a reminder to all troops today...telling them to remember that they took an oath to the constitution..and to support free speech and the right to assemble--interpret that!

While rare -- and perhaps unprecedented -- for former military leaders to so publicly and forcefully criticize the commander in chief, Trump's flaunting of the Insurrection Act "was sufficiently disturbing that General Mattis chose to break his silence," Christine Wormuth, who served as a deputy under secretary of defense from 2012 to 2014, told ABC News.
The essay was the "inevitable conclusion" of the increasingly politicization of the military under the Trump administration and was meant to give a clear reminder to the military that they swore an oath to the Constitution, she said.
"It sends a strong message to members of the military to be reminded of what's important and to do what they think is right," Wormuth said.
Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, similarly sent an unusual message to the leaders of the different branches of the military that said members of the armed forces swore an oath to the Constitution and its protections for freedom of speech and assembly. The letter served as "cover" for the service leaders to "communicate their feelings" as well, Wormuth said.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Mattis's words sent a "shot across the bow" to the country's military leaders and could prove problematic for Trump.
"Mattis put a big symbolic barrier in his way and bolstered, I think, the instincts of some of the good people in the military who say we can’t be used like this," Schumer said in an interview with MSNBC.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, broke with most of her GOP colleagues on Capitol Hill by embracing Mattis' statement as "true, and honest, and necessary and overdue."
"I have been struggling for the right words, and I was encouraged a couple of nights ago when I was able to read what President Bush had written," she told reporters Thursday. "And I found that to be empowering for me as one leader.
"But then when I saw General Mattis’ comments yesterday, I felt like perhaps we are getting to a point where we can be more honest with the concerns that we might hold internally," she added. "And have the courage of our own convictions to speak up."
(MORE: Following Obama, Clinton and Bush, former president Jimmy Carter issues a statement on George Floyd protests)
Another Republican senator who has been more willing to criticize Trump than his colleagues, Mitt Romney of Utah, called Mattis's words "stunning and powerful."
"General Mattis is a man of extraordinary sacrifice," Romney said. "He's an American patriot. He's an individual whose judgment I respect, and I think the world of him. If I ever had to choose somebody to be in a foxhole with -- it would be with a General Mattis. What a wonderful, wonderful man.”
Amid the onslaught, stalwart Trump ally Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told Fox News that Mattis did not "understand" that people are trying to hurt Trump.
"The one thing I would tell General Mattis is that you don't quite understand that from the time President Trump wakes up till he goes to bed there's an effort to destroy his presidency," Graham said.
Like Trump, he pointed his finger at the press.

"To General Mattis, I think you're missing something here, my friend," Graham said. "You're missing the fact that the liberal media has taken every event in the last three and half years and laid it at the president's feet. I'm not saying he's blameless, but I am saying that you're buying into a narrative that I think is quite frankly unfair."
Well that's pretty clear cut.

“Former” military.

The current military will obey the President in protecting US citizens being attacked by domestic terrorists.

About a third of the military is minorities. They will oppose taking arms against people protesting police brutality

Soldiers have HONOR. A CODE. It doesn't involve burning down innocent peoples property and beating innocent people.

Please quit while you are behind...you are insulting our soldiers, minority and otherwise, and embarrassing yourself.

Sorry Man...when you're defending looter, arsonist, assaulters and murderers you've lost the moral highground. Restoring order is necessary. No one is forcing these criminal elements to rob, burn, beat and kill. They can have a choice. They can continue or they can stop. If they CHOOSE to continue and they are "attacked"...I guess that is the liberal word for the consequences lawlessness...it's their own fault.

CIVIL disobedience...there are some consequences...maybe a night in jail...I get it.

Arson, rioting, beating innocent people, looting, killing? Expect to get "attacked". Deservedly.
Wrong. Not active military.

“Former” military.

Make your case Brother. You know the National Guard and the Reserves train on the same posts in the same units for the same amount of time altogether with the Regular Army.

I started out as a National Guardsman. Went to Basic and AIT with the Regular Army. Would have done all the advanced training with them too...there is esentially no difference.

But I'm willing to hear you out...convince me.

Unfortunately "this is the talking point of the day from my leftest propaganda overlords" isn't going to cut it.

The military has come out unilaterally in opposition of Trumps suggestion to use US troops against the people.
The guy who called you a liar should start reading and watching the news even if they aren't active. The line up against Trump is growing. I can imagine what the active brass are saying and thinking among themselves silently.

“Former” military.

Make your case Brother. You know the National Guard and the Reserves train on the same posts in the same units for the same amount of time altogether with the Regular Army.

I started out as a National Guardsman. Went to Basic and AIT with the Regular Army. Would have done all the advanced training with them too...there is esentially no difference.

Unfortunately "this is the talking point of the day from my leftest propaganda overlords" isn't going to cut it.
"A law called the Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the domestic use of military for law enforcement purposes without specific congressional authorization, said Stephen Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas Law School. But a different law, the Insurrection Act, provides the president authorization to do so under certain circumstances, he said."

If they train together or not makes no difference.

“Former” military.

"A law called the Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the domestic use of military for law enforcement purposes without specific congressional authorization, said Stephen Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas Law School. But a different law, the Insurrection Act, provides the president authorization to do so under certain circumstances, he said."

Detroit...1967

1591314031968.png

“Former” military.

Detroit...1967

View attachment 345701
And later in DC's 1968 rioting. Not the same thing now. 99.9% peaceful if you noticed.

Check out this article. Talks about what Nixon did and how he used it for his campaign. Trump is using this right now.

“Former” military.

Soldier's Oath...sworn upon enlistment...

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Emphasis added.

You think the people who have had there homes and businesses burned have had their Constitutional Rights violated?

You think the people fearful to leave their homes and fearful to stay in them have had their Constitutional Rights violated?

The very fabric of our society is under attack by arsonist and thugs.

Sometimes you need a big stick to restore order...and lucky for us we have one.

If the police are the problem...everyone should be happy to take them out of the loop and let the military handle it.

We know it is legal...it's been sone before...for rioting no less.

Ao you'll have to do better than that.

Forum List

Back