The Red Cross should go!

Bootneck

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2008
England
When will these PC nut jobs wind their necks in and STFU! Now we have a Labour politician calling for the Red Cross symbol to be banished because he says it has links to the Crusades. The English national flag is also a red cross on a white ground. How long before these misguided fools get round to banning that in case some should find it offensive?

I'm sick and tired of these weak-minded bleeding heart liberalists who would have us going round treading on eggshells lest we offend minorities. Significantly, it isn't the ethnic minorities who find these things offensive.

Calls for Red Cross symbol to be axed over links to the Crusades

A Labour minister has sparked controversy by claiming that an alternative symbol is needed for the Red Cross because of the logo's supposed links to the Crusades.
Foreign Office minister Chris Bryant said that the historic emblem risked undermining the work of the humanitarian organisation.
His intervention came as MPs debated the adoption of the 'red crystal' - a diamond-shaped badge - to avoid the religious connotations of the cross and crescent symbols currently used by the international body.
But critics said the new insignia was a sop to political correctness and warned that it may be the first step towards it replacing cross and crescent. Others fear that it may not be as widely recognised on the battlefield.
'It is, in an effort not to be contentious, possibly too anodyne to serve its purpose,' Tory MP John Hayes said.
Philip Davies, a Tory backbencher, said: 'At face value to the layman it seems at best a solution looking for a problem and at worst another example of extreme political correctness.
'No one has ever suggested to me that the Red Cross refers to the Crusades.'
Shadow Foreign Office minister David Lidington said that use of the crystal over the cross by the British military should 'be the exception rather than be allowed to become the norm'.
Tory Oliver Heald said the Red Cross symbol was widely recognised and counselled caution that 'we are careful not to undermine that'.
'There is also a risk of confusion with many different symbols, and that terrorists may exploit that to mask themselves when carrying out attacks,' he added.
The founding Conference of the Red Cross Movement in 1863 adopted a red cross on a white background – the reverse of the Swiss flag – as the emblem of the voluntary medical personnel who assisted the wounded on the battlefield.
It was never intended to have any religious meaning and is thought to have been intended as a tribute to traditionally neutral Switzerland, which hosted the conference

Calls for Red Cross symbol to be axed over links to the Crusades | Mail Online

The founding Conference of the Red Cross Movement in 1863 adopted a red cross on a white background – the reverse of the Swiss flag – as the emblem of the voluntary medical personnel who assisted the wounded on the battlefield.
It was never intended to have any religious meaning and is thought to have been intended as a tribute to traditionally neutral Switzerland, which hosted the conference

Even I knew that.

This twat (note, note sexist, using the British slang this time) should be sacked purely on the grounds of stupendous ignorance.

Even I knew that.

This twat (note, note sexist, using the British slang this time) should be sacked purely on the grounds of stupendous ignorance.

I've a better Idea. Send him into a war zone as a medic. Let him wear the red diamond instead of a cross and he can discover for himself how long it takes for him to get his arse shot off.

When will these PC nut jobs wind their necks in and STFU! Now we have a Labour politician calling for the Red Cross symbol to be banished because he says it has links to the Crusades. The English national flag is also a red cross on a white ground. How long before these misguided fools get round to banning that in case some should find it offensive?

I'm sick and tired of these weak-minded bleeding heart liberalists who would have us going round treading on eggshells lest we offend minorities. Significantly, it isn't the ethnic minorities who find these things offensive.

Color me confused, but if they take out the red ... cross, what will THE RED CROSS be called? :confused:

The whole thing is just stupid.

i've a better idea. Send him into a war zone as a medic. Let him wear the red diamond instead of a cross and he can discover for himself how long it takes for him to get his arse shot off.

$bullseye.jpg :eusa_whistle:

Actually, the Swiss flag was influenced by the Genoese Flag (which is also a red cross on white). An alliance of various italian states (+ the pope) once fought off Emperor Barbarossa, in the pivotal battle they rallied around a rather large cross (Carracio Standart) and held of repeated Imperial German Cavalry charges. The war was about who was the boss of the Empire (the Emperor or the pope) and the majority of Italy supported the Pope for totally non religious reasons (Barbarossas sacking and burning of Milan had a lot to do with that).

At the time of their formation, the Swiss were in a war against the Habsburgs as well as against some Swabian dukes who were descendants of Barbarossa. The Swiss picked their flag as a reference to the Carracio standart, and by extension to "beeing free from foreign(German) domination".

Conclusion, the only country with the right to complain about the Red Cross would be Germany, since the red cross references an Anti German Symbol.

Forum List

Back