The real point is being missed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JKVegas, Dec 27, 2012.

1. JKVegas

JKVegas Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A ton of stuff has been written about Sandy Hook. What's not being said is the real tragedy. As a people anhd a society, we have become desensitized to violence.

Case in point: September 11, 2001. I live in a neighborhood of about 140 homes. For three weeks following the attack, every house had a flag flying on it. After 2 months, it was half the houses. After 6 months, it was about 10% of the houses. Within days of the first anniversary, it was myself and about 3 others.

We forget. Only when the next wingnut strikes do we even acknowledge that the prior attacks even happened. We have the attention span of a housefly. Six months from now we will have moved on to the Crisis DuJour of June 11, 2013 at 10.26 AM.

We are also fascinated with violence. The most popular spectator sport is an incredibly boring game which is predicated on violence. Our most popular TV shows and movies revolve around the depiction of violence. We relish hearing about it when it doesn't happen to us.

When things like this happen, I am reminded of a quote from the character Mr. Spock on the old Star Trek series:

"You humans have glorified organized violence for 40 centuries - yet you imprison those who employ it privately."

We must stop the mindset that ANY violence is justified. Or we may actually destroy ourselves someday very soon.

2. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    Only those whom have a misdirected desire to kill others 'at random' have a mindset that ANY violence is justified.
    Meantime, back at the ranch named 'Normalcy', the vast majority of us realize that a particular, specific, and relative use of violence is justified to insure ones' survival. And that is called instinct.

3. JKVegas

JKVegas Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Violence does not lend itself to rationality. "particular", "specific" and "relative" are terms that insinuate rational reasoning. Violence is spawned by anger, one of the strongest emotions. That is probably why we are so drawn to it.

If you pull a gun on an intruder, you are doing it because you are "angry" that they invaded your space, or caused you fear.

It's a violent reaction, which only begets more violence.

4. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    If I pull a gun on an intruder, hell yes I'm angry he invaded my space. Fear, like disappointment, emotional pain, are secondary emotions that spawn anger. Controlling those emotions is rational. Otherwise, if I was too fearful (angry), I might shoot at the sonofabitch, and miss!!!!
    So, it is a violent reaction, but an emotionally controlled one.
    Just because we have and experience emotions does not mean we are absolved of the responsibility to control the degree of the emotion.
    Emotions are what we have the most of, but know the least about.
    I know about 'em.

5. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The intruder is a target - he made himself one.
    I have the same right to defend myself as any other animal or plant on this earth and I have every right to use whatever means that I deem necessary to do so.
    The intruder will have one chance to lie down on the floor and wait for the police. If he makes any aggressive move the police will simply take that target away, in a bag or two.

6. JOSweetHeart

JOSweetHeart Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,530
    ^^^ I agree. "The best way for evil to triumph is for good to stand there and not do a thing."

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I am not saying that killing an intruder is what a person should do, but if that is what it takes to keep everyone else in the picture safe from the intruder's intentions, so be it.

7. JKVegas

JKVegas Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    But it doesn't, unless you get lucky and get in the first shot.

This country isn't all that crime-ridden, unless you count the tens of thousands of murders committed with guns every year.

You would have thought that crime would have risen because of the Recession. But it hasn't. In fact, it actually went down.

However, there will be many more Auroras and Sandy Hooks .............. and we'll pat each other on the back, cry a bit and lie to each other by saying that these are "random nutjobs who could have been stopped if only someone there had a gun.".

They are becoming less and less random. And are not stopped by the presence of guns. VA Tech wasn't. Columbine wasn't. Aurora wouldn't have been.

8. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,620

Well put, here's my reply:

Curbing the violence that people are exposed to won't stop the problem. The vast majority of us who play violent video games, watch "action" movies, and watch football, do not commit violent acts and in fact are appalled when confronted with real acts of violence.

People who are emotionally or mentally disturbed might be desensitized by violence in the media, but it isn't what disturbs them. They are emotionally disturbed or mentally unstable for reasons not connected to the violence they see. The Real Point that you are looking for is not the violence they are exposed to, but the reason that they are disturbed. Why do they kill, why do they kill in ways that do the most damage and are the most horrific, and why can't we identify these people before they commit these acts? That is the real point my friend.

We cannot look at the things that this killer did, and then ban that thing. We can't say the he played such and such video game, let's ban that, or he belonged to this club right here so let's disband them. All we do in those cases is punish those who've done no wrong.

9. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,620
    Not anywhere near true.

10. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,620
    There were no guns at Columbine, VA Tech, or in Aurora.