The 'R' Word is now Verboten?

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
Now using the word 'retard' or 'retarded' is off limits, apparently. I guess we have to call it the 'r' word.

Are we taking things too far? Or is we just becoming more sensitive to others?

FOXNews.com - The Worst Celebrity Foot-in-Mouth Moments

Jennifer Aniston said "Yes, I play dress up. I do it for a living, like a retard."

Advocacy groups hopped on the incident right away. The Special Olympics released a statement saying, "[We are] always disappointed when the R-word is used, especially by someone who is influential to society... the R-word, even in an off-the-cuff self-deprecating manner, dehumanizes people with intellectual disabilities and perpetuates painful stereotypes."

There doesn't seem to be a simple answer. I never liked the r-word. Mentally handicapped seems neutral but offends some and has fallen out of use. If we are all going to be pc and not offend anyone, we might as well forget about free speech. Free speech is discordant. It is a clash of concepts, it is chaotic, aggressive, noisy, sometimes stupid, and often offensive. Maybe that's why it is protected in our constitution. Pappadave.

I think we should ban the use of the non-words n-word and r-word because we all know they mean ****** and retard so its just a facsimile of ****** and retard ..".a ****** by any other name"..sort of speak

re·tard
1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
–verb (used without object)
2. to be delayed.
–noun
3.a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
4. Slang: Disparaging .
a.a mentally retarded person.
b.a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.
5.Automotive, Machinery . an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle.

Retarded | Define Retarded at Dictionary.com

Last edited:
RGS's vocabulary is limited enough as is, no need to take another 25% away from him with this "PC" crap.

Last edited:
As a special education teacher, I hate the word used as an insult. But that's my bias. However, some actions and comments are simply retarded, and they've yet to come up with an appropriate synonym. "Cognitively challenged" or "developmentally delayed" just doesn't work when you are talking about govt.pork. Lol

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
This is the first word that will be made un PC because it offends the people AROUND the person in question.

We're becoming way too politically correct and sensitive;imho. I'm not going to be any less offended if someone called me "mentally challenged" instead of retarded:tongue: and a person who is mentally challenged,sadly does not even have the mental capacity to give a shit.

murkins are idiots. It's fine to type or say friggen instead of FUCKING.
Shit is a dirty word ?
Ass is " cursing"
Penis is fine bur dick is not.
Pussy is a bad word.
Blowjob is a " vile term" but cunnilingus and fellatio are just fine at the dinner table.
murkins are fucking idiots.
Try this commercial in murka. The loons would be out in the streets.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_1K88ULHVA[/ame]

The Geico commercial where the "little piggy" goes "wee, wee, wee all the way home" is SUPER friggin' RETARDED.

I've been in situations with other adults where I would really liked to have asserted that the person I was arguing with was "fucking retarded". But such an assertion is just really meant as a form of character assassination. To supply a hypothetical context: calling someone "fucking retarded" is a form of abuse. If you had a son or a daughter, would you like this child to witness you arguing with someone as referring to this person (in their presence) as "fucking retarded"?

Euphemisms seem pointless to me.

They become as offensive as the original.

In the case of retard", the real offense is the malice behind the world itself.

Very few who take offense would prefer the more scientific words-- imbecile, moron, idiot -- which retard originally replaced.

Words aren't the problem, the venom behind them are the problem.

Word police are generally either idiots, or people seeking to control others through guilt.

You know...they're either social bullies or they're just too retarded to understand that words aren't really the problem.

I know many dont like to have to think of others feelings but it really isnt that horrible a thing to do.

You see even though the mentally challenged look like nothing but retards to may of you they do have feelings and their family members do too.

I always am amazed at how much pissing and moaning people do when they are forced to find NEW beat down words to use.

Maybe we should call you people invectively challenged or hatelazy or something.

Your fellow Americans who have done no fucking thing to you have asked you to use another word to discribe them.

I know its going to just be to much of a burden for some of you to THINK before you call someone stupid instead of retarded but its really pretty damned easy to do.

Here are some suggestions that may make it easier for you.

alternative insults to retarded:

Butt brained
ass capped
mangled medula
medulamush
asinine
brainless
dense
dull
dumb
feeblebrained
inane
obtuse
witless
vapid
dimwtted
brickbrained
Bushlike
Palinesque
to name a few.

Nothing else even comes close to describing Republican's lack of policies.

I know many dont like to have to think of others feelings but it really isnt that horrible a thing to do.

You see even though the mentally challenged look like nothing but retards to may of you they do have feelings and their family members do too.

I always am amazed at how much pissing and moaning people do when they are forced to find NEW beat down words to use.

Maybe we should call you people invectively challenged or hatelazy or something.

Your fellow Americans who have done no fucking thing to you have asked you to use another word to discribe them.

I know its going to just be to much of a burden for some of you to THINK before you call someone stupid instead of retarded but its really pretty damned easy to do.

Here are some suggestions that may make it easier for you.

alternative insults to retarded:

Butt brained
ass capped
mangled medula
medulamush
asinine
brainless
dense
dull
dumb
feeblebrained
inane
obtuse
witless
vapid
dimwtted
brickbrained
Bushlike
Palinesque
to name a few.

So it's not ok to call a mentally challenged person 'retarded' but it is ok to call them 'feeble brained'? Why, because they're too retarded to know what the word means?

Forum List

Back