The Putinization of Trump

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
First Step: Alternative Facts

This is something already quite familiar to Putin watchers, and Russian and Soviet-style leadership. Make up your own "facts". The facts took quite a beating during Trump's inauguration and they show no signs of slowing down.

The only way to create faux credibility is to create faux facts. More in this interview with a Russian journalist.

A Russian journalist has a little advice for his American counterparts

There were the claims and counterclaims about the size of the Inauguration Day crowd in Washington, and whether it rained or not when Trump spoke.

On Saturday, the president praised the intelligence agencies at the CIA's headquarters — just days after comparing their work to Nazi Germany.

There were attacks on the media.

And somewhere along the line, falsehoods got relabeled as "alternative facts."

Trump spokesman Sean Spicer seemed to double down on that during his press briefing on Monday. When asked about the dustup over inauguration numbers, he said, “I believe we have to be honest with the American people. Sometimes we can disagree with the facts.”

Disagree with the facts.

It all sounds familiar to Russian journalists like Alexey Kovalev who blogs about propaganda, fake news and Russian state media at noodleremover.news (Russian site).

In his most recent blog, “A message to my doomed colleagues in the American media,” which appears on Medium, Kovalev writes:

“Congratulations, US media! You’ve just covered your first press conference of an authoritarian leader with a massive ego and a deep disdain for your trade and everything you hold dear. We in Russia have been doing it for 12 years now  —  with a short hiatus when our leader wasn’t technically our leader  —  so quite a few things during Donald Trump’s press conference rang a bell.”

In short, Kovalev says there are some lessons he’s learned from having covered Russian President Vladimir Putin’s typical four-hour press conferences that may be useful in looking at President Trump’s comments to the Washington press corps.

For example, Kovalev says Putin and his advisers are quite successful at completely dominating the agenda. “Welcome to the circus,” Kovalev says. “Don’t be fooled into thinking that the press conferences are designed to inform the public or the media.” Instead, he says, the events are a one-man show to create a barrage of factoids and misinformation as a kind of distraction from more important issues and policies.

“The thing is that when you think it’s your mission to make him [Putin] admit a lie, or an inconsistency in his previous statements [because he tends to make U-turns in his statements on policies], when you try to point out those inconsistencies or catch him red-handed lying, there’s no point because he’ll evade your question, he knows that he can just drown you in meaningless factoids or false moral equivalencies or by using what is called ‘whataboutism.’”

Whataboutism, Kovalev explains, is an old Soviet trick. If Putin is pressed by a Russian journalist about an allegation of serious human rights abuse in Russia, he’s very unlikely to directly address the question. Instead Putin might deflect or undermine the seriousness of the question by asking, Don’t human rights abuses happen in other countries as well? What about Guantanamo Bay?.....

Yeah, I posted that medium write up by this guy here as well. His work is really important and he can see right through the Trump bullshit. I look forward to reading more from him.

Also, interesting to note that some resident rightists here were engaging in "whataboutism" just this weekend in regards to the Marches. "What about what Islam does to women? What about what goes on in India? What about what goes in in Saudi Arabia? What about Bill Clintoooooon?"

Wonder where they were getting that from? They seem to have a knack for "whataboutism."

this might actually resonate on some level except for 2 things

1 - you are relying on the assessment of a Russian "journalist" for insight into the Trump team's truthfulness? Oh the irony

2 - the American media has not been forthright with the truth, they have consistently just made stuff up (you may recall that Dan Rather got fired for making stuff up) - this has been especially true in their coverage of Trump - the American media is not afraid to distort the truth

But it is deeper than that; differences of opinion are often reported as "the other guy is lying" and the media has not been fair & impartial when reporting on Trump. Republicans and conservatives have long complained about a double standard employed by the media in their reporting, and that gap has widened considerably recently.

We live in interesting times, it will be a miracle if we make it much longer without actual turmoil - like imagine what things would be like if we had folks on my side turning "peaceful protests" into riots where people were attacked, businesses were destroyed & looted & people were attacked.

We are more divivd than we have been at any point in American history with the exception of maybe 1859...

The criminally insane sociopath known as Ted Kennedy who's car was found with a dead woman inside and his political connections not only kept him out of prison where anyone else would be, his idiot voters kept him in the senate, secretly contacted the soviets in order to undermine Reagan in the early 80's.

And the meat puppet faggot telling Medvedev that he needs to wait until after the election so he could fuck us over.

Putin: What are we seeing in the United States? We are seeing the continuation of an acute internal political struggle despite the fact that the presidential election is over and it ended in Mr Trump’s convincing victory. Nevertheless, in my opinion, several goals are being set in this struggle.

The first is to undermine the legitimacy of the US president-elect. By the way, in this regard, I would like to point out that whether deliberately or not, these people are causing enormous damage to US interests. The impression is that, after a practice run in Kiev, they are now ready to organise a Maidan in Washington to prevent Trump from taking office.

The second goal is to tie the new president’s hands as he works to fulfil the campaign promises he made to the American people both at home and abroad. Well, think, how can anything be done to improve Russian-US relations if red herrings such as interference by hackers in the election campaign are trotted out? Although to reiterate, hackers – whoever they are – did not compile anything; they did not make anything up; they only disclosed material. Or, especially, if Russian special services have some compromising material on the president-elect.

Look, I am not acquainted with Mr Trump. I have never met him. I do not know what he will do in the international arena, so I have no reason either to attack him or criticise him for whatever reason or to defend him, no matter what. However, these leaks are obviously fabricated.

People who order these kinds of fabrications, which are now being used to smear the US President-elect, and use it to advance their political agenda are worse than prostitutes. They have no moral constraints at all. By the way, Russia is constantly dealing with such people, our opponents. The fact that such methods are being used against the President-elect of the United States is certainly unparalleled and has never happened before. This indicates the significant level of degradation among political elites in the West, including the United States.

But I very much hope that common sense will prevail. This applies to relations between the United States and its allies, including in Europe. After all, it is the current outgoing administration that has involved many European political leaders in the US domestic political fight. Today's problems are the result of these activities.

I am sure that major mutual interests will set things right. Things will fall into place eventually. By the same token, I am sure, we will eventually be able to return to normal state-to-state relations in the interests of both the peoples of Europe and the peoples of Russia and the United States, which will contribute to advancing the global economy, stabilising the international situation and providing security.

Joint news conference with President of Moldova Igor Dodon

Last edited:
It's all sour grapes from the anti-Trump brigade ....nobody cares about them anymore. Losers.

this might actually resonate on some level except for 2 things

1 - you are relying on the assessment of a Russian "journalist" for insight into the Trump team's truthfulness? Oh the irony

2 - the American media has not been forthright with the truth, they have consistently just made stuff up (you may recall that Dan Rather got fired for making stuff up) - this has been especially true in their coverage of Trump - the American media is not afraid to distort the truth

But it is deeper than that; differences of opinion are often reported as "the other guy is lying" and the media has not been fair & impartial when reporting on Trump. Republicans and conservatives have long complained about a double standard employed by the media in their reporting, and that gap has widened considerably recently.

We live in interesting times, it will be a miracle if we make it much longer without actual turmoil - like imagine what things would be like if we had folks on my side turning "peaceful protests" into riots where people were attacked, businesses were destroyed & looted & people were attacked.

We are more divivd than we have been at any point in American history with the exception of maybe 1859...

Media inadequacies aside - Trump has been shown to have lied, even when confronted with facts or his own statements - he still lies - and it doesn't matter. That's not media bias in those cases - it's sheer chutzpa (to put it kindly) on the part of Trump and his associates to think they can keep doing this so outrageously.

It's all sour grapes from the anti-Trump brigade ....nobody cares about them anymore. Losers.

Everything is sour grapes to you.

So tell me Skye - what do you think of Trumps obvious lies?

He claimed he had "never feuded with the intelligence agencies". True or False?

Media inadequacies aside - Trump has been shown to have lied, even when confronted with facts or his own statements - he still lies - and it doesn't matter. That's not media bias in those cases - it's sheer chutzpa (to put it kindly) on the part of Trump and his associates to think they can keep doing this so outrageously.

Are you talking about trump or hitlary?

Are you talking about trump or hitlary?

Read the OP if you're confused. Hillary lost, remember?

Putin: What are we seeing in the United States? We are seeing the continuation of an acute internal political struggle despite the fact that the presidential election is over and it ended in Mr Trump’s convincing victory. Nevertheless, in my opinion, several goals are being set in this struggle.

The first is to undermine the legitimacy of the US president-elect. By the way, in this regard, I would like to point out that whether deliberately or not, these people are causing enormous damage to US interests. The impression is that, after a practice run in Kiev, they are now ready to organise a Maidan in Washington to prevent Trump from taking office.

The second goal is to tie the new president’s hands as he works to fulfil the campaign promises he made to the American people both at home and abroad. Well, think, how can anything be done to improve Russian-US relations if red herrings such as interference by hackers in the election campaign are trotted out? Although to reiterate, hackers – whoever they are – did not compile anything; they did not make anything up; they only disclosed material. Or, especially, if Russian special services have some compromising material on the president-elect.

Look, I am not acquainted with Mr Trump. I have never met him. I do not know what he will do in the international arena, so I have no reason either to attack him or criticise him for whatever reason or to defend him, no matter what. However, these leaks are obviously fabricated.

People who order these kinds of fabrications, which are now being used to smear the US President-elect, and use it to advance their political agenda are worse than prostitutes. They have no moral constraints at all. By the way, Russia is constantly dealing with such people, our opponents. The fact that such methods are being used against the President-elect of the United States is certainly unparalleled and has never happened before. This indicates the significant level of degradation among political elites in the West, including the United States.

But I very much hope that common sense will prevail. This applies to relations between the United States and its allies, including in Europe. After all, it is the current outgoing administration that has involved many European political leaders in the US domestic political fight. Today's problems are the result of these activities.

I am sure that major mutual interests will set things right. Things will fall into place eventually. By the same token, I am sure, we will eventually be able to return to normal state-to-state relations in the interests of both the peoples of Europe and the peoples of Russia and the United States, which will contribute to advancing the global economy, stabilising the international situation and providing security.

Wow how funny. Putin says he doesn't know Trump... that's the same thing Trump said during the election cycle, which is counter to what he said in a video interview where he said he knew Putin. Both are liars, how convenient. Your leader is a lying piece of shit that orders to have his political opponents murdered, jailed, and their fortunes taken from them.

Can't wait for Putin to work his magic in the midterms and flip all 25 Democrat Senate seats

Everything is sour grapes to you.

So tell me Skye - what do you think of Trumps obvious lies?

He claimed he had "never feuded with the intelligence agencies". True or False?

I am loyal to him

I'm on his side.

Not on the anti-Trump's loony left brigade side.

Come rain or shine after the horror story of Hussein Obama I am totally for President Trump.Period.

That's how it is Coyote. :)

Why would anyone believe Putin :dunno:

:lmao:

Wow how funny. Putin says he doesn't know Trump... that's the same thing Trump said during the election cycle, which is counter to what he said in a video interview where he said he knew Putin. Both are liars, how convenient. Your leader is a lying piece of shit that orders to have his political opponents murdered, jailed, and their fortunes taken from them.
In defense of our Constitution from the enemies within that wouldn't be a bad idea over here also.

Why would anyone believe Putin :dunno:

:lmao:
Why wouldn't?

Forum List

Back