The Psychology of Partisanship

Critical thinking requires a lot of effort. Not everybody is willing to spend the time or do the work.

Here's the funny thing though: Creating and imparting the standard partisan spin, hyperbole, distortion, diversion and outright lies does take effort, too. It requires a relatively quick mind and sharp tongue. Too bad all that effort can't be utilized in a more constructive and positive direction, y'know?

Good reads. The way i view it (aside from the sound assertion above regarding cognitive dissonance) many just don't cross check information. They become information loyalists. They will cling bitterly to bias information and don't bother to listen to anything else on a subject.

So yeah, they sincerely believe what they spew more often than not. And when confronted with conflicting information, immediately takes on a defensive position to insulate themselves from inner conflict over their loyalist information source.

Comical. You are as partisan as anyone else to your political tenets, so much so that you have stated you want to see America destroy itself so that your visionary brothers in anarchy will rise and birth a new Nation.

You just don't see it.

But you guys seem to be having a delightful circle jerk, so.... Kerry on!

If we can't deal with the truth, then there is no chance of solving our problems. We don't argue philosophical differences, ideologies or approaches...we argue what the truth is.

Depends on what one means by "the truth". Right now, all "the truth" means is "my opinion". I do think that rational people should be able to agree on facts, but we can't even do that right now. We will not be able to start dealing with our existential problems until both sides can be intellectually honest and far less narcissistic.

why? simply put many are intellectually lazy, a casual glance at day time TV is proof positive.

Yeah, I definitely agree that intellectual laziness is another primary factor.

Maybe we need to start with this truth. But we also need to understand just what it means in human terms...

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

Rather hard to agree on this 'truth' when many people refuse to even consider it.

Critical thinking requires a lot of effort. Not everybody is willing to spend the time or do the work.

Here's the funny thing though: Creating and imparting the standard partisan spin, hyperbole, distortion, diversion and outright lies does take effort, too. It requires a relatively quick mind and sharp tongue. Too bad all that effort can't be utilized in a more constructive and positive direction, y'know?

Not sure I believe that the effort required for critical thinking is the same as the effort to impart political spin. For the latter all you need is to repeat what someone else has already said, perhaps with some embellishment. Thinking for yourself takes a lot more work IMHO. I don't think many ideologues spend much time doing that.

Not sure I believe that the effort required for critical thinking is the same as the effort to impart political spin. For the latter all you need is to repeat what someone else has already said, perhaps with some embellishment. Thinking for yourself takes a lot more work IMHO. I don't think many ideologues spend much time doing that.

Yeah, fair enough, I guess I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Don't know WHY.

:lol:

Good reads. The way i view it (aside from the sound assertion above regarding cognitive dissonance) many just don't cross check information. They become information loyalists. They will cling bitterly to bias information and don't bother to listen to anything else on a subject.

So yeah, they sincerely believe what they spew more often than not. And when confronted with conflicting information, immediately takes on a defensive position to insulate themselves from inner conflict over their loyalist information source.

Comical. You are as partisan as anyone else to your political tenets, so much so that you have stated you want to see America destroy itself so that your visionary brothers in anarchy will rise and birth a new Nation.

You just don't see it.

But you guys seem to be having a delightful circle jerk, so.... Kerry on!

And a true partisan shows up and is evidentally unable to make a contribution to an intelligent discussuion because of the need to be partisan.

Why they like that?

Depends on what one means by "the truth". Right now, all "the truth" means is "my opinion". I do think that rational people should be able to agree on facts, but we can't even do that right now. We will not be able to start dealing with our existential problems until both sides can be intellectually honest and far less narcissistic.

Yeah, I definitely agree that intellectual laziness is another primary factor.

Maybe we need to start with this truth. But we also need to understand just what it means in human terms...

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Thomas Jefferson

Rather hard to agree on this 'truth' when many people refuse to even consider it.

Thomas Jefferson in his wisdom used the word 'creator'. That would include any entity that any man considered 'their' creator...whether a deity or object.

Ill use myself for this thread as some insight.
While others are vastly more partisan than i am, i have noticed some partisan things about me when it comes to the left.

So I've noticed that there is a ping of "ouch" when i see someone on the right be right. A small empty feeling when the GOP wins. Its not the fact that the Gop won either, so don't think that. Its more along the line of where the GOP is right now as a party that bothers me so much.

I think when it comes down to it with being partisan its Instinct. Its instinct to defend something you know is right and care about. Now does this work for everybody? No, but it works for me. I find myself siding with the left on issues, because i feel they are more right for the most part. That doesn't mean i agree with everything they do. They really love to do nanny state laws, and really can over tax if not kept in check.

But i think they are the lesser of two evils,but not by much. The issue with most partisans is exactly this as Bill Maher states it. They live in Bubbles and regardless of the information given out they won't accept it. Something i've noticed with the right and left.

The right doesn't give an inch on things. Lets say the right claims something about the left. The left concedes and tries to explain their reasoning. It never works because you basically just threw red meat to a shark.

On the flip side the left tries this and the right just flat out ignores it or dismisses it has nonsense and continues on message. I've always said the right has won the talking point game, and the left has never really gotten it.

You also have to factor in the idea of everything is equal now according to people. Take Mitt and the flip flops. The left will say hey Mitt flipped on this issue. The right comes back and claims Obama "evolved". That right there is the perfect example of what happens. The right has levels and levels of things they can fall back on. Its always a trap with these people. Like a war where you pull back and fake a retreat, and when the left goes in for the final blow over the hill. They run into a mass army ready to slaughter them. It either goes like this or they just dismiss it.

As for it being an emotional thing? Yes it is an emotional connection. We have been coaxed into thinking its all about winning and not working together. I find its a constant battle with myself to battle that partisanship. Am i blaming the right? Damn right i am, i don't like them.

that doesn't mean i am right when i deal with an issue.

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson in his wisdom used the word 'creator'. That would include any entity that any man considered 'their' creator...whether a deity or object.

Don't miss my point.

Without the belief that rights come from somewhere GREATER than Man, rights will be nothing more than temporary comforts to be GRANTED by man.

Or WITHHELD by Man, as the case may be...

Ill use myself for this thread as some insight...

Dang, this thread has inspired some pretty interesting responses, if I do say so myself!

:rock:

But i think they are the lesser of two evils,but not by much. The issue with most partisans is exactly this as Bill Maher states it. They live in Bubbles and regardless of the information given out they won't accept it. Something i've noticed with the right and left.

Absolutely. And it gets worse as absolutism continues to increase.

The right doesn't give an inch on things. Lets say the right claims something about the left. The left concedes and tries to explain their reasoning. It never works because you basically just threw red meat to a shark.

On the flip side the left tries this and the right just flat out ignores it or dismisses it has nonsense and continues on message. I've always said the right has won the talking point game, and the left has never really gotten it.

I think this situation has changed, and probably always does. When Obama won in 2008, the Dems went into their "spike the ball, we won, you lost, tough shit" mode. Not coincidentally, that was roughly the same time the Tea Party was born. So when the GOP had its huge wins in 2010 (also not coincidentally, the Dems had over-reached during their victory dance), it went down the same road.

So it just keeps getting worse, and right now the GOP is controlled by its absolutists, who are even worse than the Dems behaved when Obama won. If one Republican steps out of line, they're gonna be "primaried" by a hard-liner. That sure as shit doesn't lend itself to a cooperative environment in DC.

As for it being an emotional thing? Yes it is an emotional connection. We have been coaxed into thinking its all about winning and not working together. I find its a constant battle with myself to battle that partisanship. Am i blaming the right? Damn right i am, i don't like them.

Thanks for that. This is like a food fight that starts with a little goofing around at one table and escalates into a full-on Animal House food riot. Each side just keeps getting worse, and there a few people (the "division pimps") in the media egging everyone on.

We need intellectual cooperation, and all we have right now is emotional, narcissistic food fighting. Worse, both "sides" are waiting for the "other side" to be the first to lead the way, and neither "side" seems capable of doing that.

Ill use myself for this thread as some insight...

Dang, this thread has inspired some pretty interesting responses, if I do say so myself!

:rock:

Absolutely. And it gets worse as absolutism continues to increase.

I think this situation has changed, and probably always does. When Obama won in 2008, the Dems went into their "spike the ball, we won, you lost, tough shit" mode. Not coincidentally, that was roughly the same time the Tea Party was born. So when the GOP had its huge wins in 2010 (also not coincidentally, the Dems had over-reached during their victory dance), it went down the same road.

So it just keeps getting worse, and right now the GOP is controlled by its absolutists, who are even worse than the Dems behaved when Obama won. If one Republican steps out of line, they're gonna be "primaried" by a hard-liner. That sure as shit doesn't lend itself to a cooperative environment in DC.

Thanks for that. This is like a food fight that starts with a little goofing around at one table and escalates into a full-on Animal House food riot. Each side just keeps getting worse, and there a few people (the "division pimps") in the media egging everyone on.

We need intellectual cooperation, and all we have right now is emotional, narcissistic food fighting. Worse, both "sides" are waiting for the "other side" to be the first to lead the way, and neither "side" seems capable of doing that.

USMB Rep Police said:
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Mac1958 again

Great post, Mac, and an excellent thread.

Our Founders knew our lower nature and warned us against this political 'tribalism'...

It's a crying shame that 80% of Americans haven't listened to their advice.

Good thread Marc. I find it interesting some of the most partisan don't see themselves as such. When I was young, I was much more liberal. I believed everything the politicians said (maybe I was just naive). What is most interesting is that we have come to believe it's us against them. Compromise to me means you give a little, I give a little and we meet somewhere in the middle.

Not sure if it's the ability to get "real time" information through the multitude of information sources or we have been "programed" to have a certain thought process. As I got older and became aware of the lies and deception coming from both sides, I was caught somewhere in the middle.

I just don't believe the "government" is the answer to anything. I don't care if you have an R or a D next to your name...........my vote goes to the candidate that is most aligned with my core beliefs. In Georgia we had two absolutely wonderful representatives that were Dems, Nathan Dean and Tom Murphy. They went to bat for their constituents. They represented us well and listened to our needs. Mr. Dean has retired and Mr. Murphy passed away several years ago. I voted for them over and over because I knew they shared a vision for our neighborhood and our families.

I've been on both sides and can't say I'm liking all the divisiveness that so dominates our political environment today. I remember the days when both sides worked together, when reaching across the isle was a good thing, it was necessary to achieve the greatness of America. Perhaps one day our elected officials can achieve that cohesiveness again, until then I cringe when it becomes brother against brother and left against right.

Good thread Marc. I find it interesting some of the most partisan don't see themselves as such. When I was young, I was much more liberal. I believed everything the politicians said (maybe I was just naive). What is most interesting is that we have come to believe it's us against them. Compromise to me means you give a little, I give a little and we meet somewhere in the middle.

Not sure if it's the ability to get "real time" information through the multitude of information sources or we have been "programed" to have a certain thought process. As I got older and became aware of the lies and deception coming from both sides, I was caught somewhere in the middle.

I just don't believe the "government" is the answer to anything. I don't care if you have an R or a D next to your name...........my vote goes to the candidate that is most aligned with my core beliefs. In Georgia we had two absolutely wonderful representatives that were Dems, Nathan Dean and Tom Murphy. They went to bat for their constituents. They represented us well and listened to our needs. Mr. Dean has retired and Mr. Murphy passed away several years ago. I voted for them over and over because I knew they shared a vision for our neighborhood and our families.

I've been on both sides and can't say I'm liking all the divisiveness that so dominates our political environment today. I remember the days when both sides worked together, when reaching across the isle was a good thing, it was necessary to achieve the greatness of America. Perhaps one day our elected officials can achieve that cohesiveness again, until then I cringe when it becomes brother against brother and left against right.

Yeah, I think you're right, that many partisans don't see themselves as such. They've just convinced themselves that they have The Truth on their side, that they have it all figured out, and that anyone who dares to disagree is (1) stupid and (2) The Enemy.

I may be placing too much significance in the role that partisan blabbers like Limbaugh and Schultz and Hannity and Maddow and MSNBC and Fox play in this disaster, but I'm convinced they're one of the core problems. As I've babbled a zillion times, these are people who have a literal, direct vested interest in keeping their fans angry at "the other side", keeping the two "sides" separated and motivated.

It's going to take "leaders" to fix this fuckin' disaster, people who have the balls to create consensus at the risk of their precious jobs and/or income. I see no one even trying to do that right now.

Yeah, I think you're right, that many partisans don't see themselves as such. They've just convinced themselves that they have The Truth on their side, that they have it all figured out, and that anyone who dares to disagree is (1) stupid and (2) The Enemy.

I may be placing too much significance in the role that partisan blabbers like Limbaugh and Schultz and Hannity and Maddow and MSNBC and Fox play in this disaster, but I'm convinced they're one of the core problems. As I've babbled a zillion times, these are people who have a literal, direct vested interest in keeping their fans angry at "the other side", keeping the two "sides" separated and motivated.

It's going to take "leaders" to fix this fuckin' disaster, people who have the balls to create consensus at the risk of their precious jobs and/or income. I see no one even trying to do that right now.

:thup:

Are there any true leaders in our nation today?? The political arena is much like WWW (someone else mentioned that). Most of us realize it but be cling to our "Truths" and passionately focus on being right instead of doing what's right.

You are correct in the direct vested interested of the "news" (cough, cough) media today. It makes them rich and keeps us angry. I know if WE THE PEOPLE don't start demanding more of our elected officials, if we don't come together as Americans, we truly are doomed to become a nation of "remember when America was great".

Are there any true leaders in our nation today?? The political arena is much like WWW (someone else mentioned that). Most of us realize it but be cling to our "Truths" and passionately focus on being right instead of doing what's right.

You are correct in the direct vested interested of the "news" (cough, cough) media today. It makes them rich and keeps us angry. I know if WE THE PEOPLE don't start demanding more of our elected officials, if we don't come together as Americans, we truly are doomed to become a nation of "remember when America was great".

Our 'principled leaders' are mocked as kooks and discarded like trash by the very media that feeds this self-devouring frenzy.

And all the sheeple do is bleat...

Bravo.

Seems to me it needs to start with elected officials. The media blabbers are going to say whatever makes them the most money, period, so we can't expect them to suddenly become responsible and turn the tide.

So what motivates the elected leaders to behave responsibility? Theoretically the answer would be "us", but "we" aren't doing it, at least not yet.

I dunno.

Partisanship is food for the masses. Why would the ultra rich want to eliminate partisanship? What is in it for them? The ultra rich control most functions of government and benefit greatly from this situation.

Where does it say that change has to be for the better? It doesn't. And there is nothing to guarantee that we in the USA will continue to improve our way of life and governing. matter of fact, I think partisanship has been actively promoted by the very people that benefit the most, the ultra rich. And they are fine with the way we are goverened.

The other odd thing is that there seems to be an an idea forming that there is no such thing as "the truth". All opinions seem to be given the same consideration as "truth". No matter how off the wall the "opinion" is. Or even if it is provably un true.

And finally, I think that my appearence of being partisan is actually a very strong aversion to stupidity and hypocrisy. I like calling people out on both of those.

Still a good thread. I am partisan to good threads.

Forum List

Back