The Psychology of Campus PC

And look at what this madness is doing to our kids: Teaching them that, when confronted with an opposing view, they should (a) shut it down, (b) shout if down, or (c) run to a safe space where they don't have to hear it.

again, if only people had done a or b in 1933 in Germany.

I think there is a different between an opposing view and an abhorrent view.

Coulter, Milo, Maher are abhorrent.

At some point, someone wielding the same idea he is using did change a lot of people's minds. Berkeley was once a bastion of free speech and open exchange of radical ideas. Now it's a place where people's fear of having to do the hard work of confronting an argument with a better argument allows them to just close the stadium and declare victory without the game even being played.

Again, the thing is, talking with Coulter or Milo is like wrestling a pig.

You both get covered in shit, but the pig enjoys it!
Maybe you do, if you can't come armed with well-formed arguments. I, on the other hand, would welcome the opportunity to have 20 minutes across a desk from either of those fools on live TV.

Thank you for that excellent illustration of the difference between our positions.

And look at what this madness is doing to our kids: Teaching them that, when confronted with an opposing view, they should (a) shut it down, (b) shout if down, or (c) run to a safe space where they don't have to hear it.

again, if only people had done a or b in 1933 in Germany.

I think there is a different between an opposing view and an abhorrent view.

Coulter, Milo, Maher are abhorrent.
Good grief, get your Nazi bullshit out of here. The fundamental enabler for the rise of Naziism was their ability to shout everyone else down. The Nazi youth? They ran dissenting speakers and writers off of university campuses. So I don't want to hear another word about Nazi Germany out of you , unless it's asking what size brown shirt you should order.

Maybe you do, if you can't come armed with well-formed arguments. I, on the other hand, would welcome the opportunity to have 20 minutes across a desk from either of those fools on live TV.

Yeah, somehow I doubt you are articulate enough to go toe to toe against media personalities who do this for a living.

Why give them a platform at all. Fox stopped inviting Coulter a long time ago because she was just plain old obnoxious. Milo was the toast of the Right Wing town, until they dug up tapes of him saying how cool it is to molest little boys.

Not every idea deserves an airing.

Van Jones:

I've got tough talk for my liberal colleagues on these campuses. I want to push this. There is a view now, that I think is ascendant, which is just horrible view, which is that 'I need to be safe ideologically. I need to be safe, emotionally. I just need to feel good all the time, and if someone says something that I don't like, that is a problem for everybody else, including the administration.'

I think that is a terrible idea for the following reason: I don't WANT you to be safe ideologically. I don't WANT you to be safe emotionally. I want you to be STRONG. That's different. I'm not going to pave the jungle for you. Put on some boots and learn to DEAL with ADVERSITY.

Good grief, get your Nazi bullshit out of here. The fundamental enabler for the rise of Naziism was their ability to shout everyone else down.

Learn your history.

The primary enabler of Nazism is people who should have known better like Franz von Papen and Paul von Hindenberg thinking people like Hitler could be controlled.

Just like the Republicans who should know better thinking that Trump can be "controlled".

It was the people who thought you could harness hate to achieve political ends, and in the end, everyone got burned.

Yeah, somehow I doubt you are articulate enough to go toe to toe against media personalities who do this for a living.

Why give them a platform at all. Fox stopped inviting Coulter a long time ago because she was just plain old obnoxious. Milo was the toast of the Right Wing town, until they dug up tapes of him saying how cool it is to molest little boys.

Not every idea deserves an airing.

I would handle my own, as you can see from my clear arguments here. You, on the other hand, would have a harder time with your repetitious red herrings, like Naziism and saying "students who pay a dollar should get their way!"

Why give them a platform? To publicly stomp their bad ideas, and to develop the skills of students to articulate their arguments in a more intellectual and formal way than throwing blubbering tantrums and putting memes on cardboard signs. I feel like I have answered this question eleventy times in this discussion.

Anyway, thank you for the interesting discussion. I think I have exhausted my ideas on the topic and will let everyone else take it from here.

I would handle my own, as you can see from my clear arguments here.

actually, your argument are kind of weak and not very impressive. I'm sure you are validating Mac's ego, and the poor thing needs a hug, but you aren't really impressing anyone else.

Why give them a platform? To publicly stomp their bad ideas, and to develop the skills of students to articulate their arguments in a more intellectual and formal way than throwing blubbering tantrums and putting memes on cardboard signs. I feel like I have answered this question eleventy times in this discussion.

I'm sure you have. Just not persuasively. You see, if just talking to Coulter would do the trick, she'd have been DONE when she said that stupid thing about the 9/11 widows. Then the media realized the way to be DONE with Coulter was to not giver her a platform. The universities are just following their fine example.

Anyway, thank you for the interesting discussion. I think I have exhausted my ideas on the topic and will let everyone else take it from here.

Well, I suspect your "ideas" are easily exhausted.

When someone is to the Left of Barack Obama, Van Jones, Liz Warren, Bernie Sanders, and Noam freakin' Chomsky, you KNOW he's out there.

Or they are just wrong on this issue.... which they are.

Then again, Van Jones grandparents didn't have to run away from the Nazis in the middle of the night with the contents of a few suitcases.

Mine did.

There are Nazis under Joe's bed again.

No, unfortunately, they are in the middle of our streets running people down with cars, going into our churches shooting bible study groups, and oh, yeah, getting their messages displayed on the jumbotron at the RNC.

vdare.png

A wonderful try, but it won't matter.

This isn't about the kids or what's best for them.

This is about the Regressives turning our kids into the same intellectual/ideological robots that they are.

Yes, because Pompous Mac is the free thinker, and anyone who disagrees with him is a "robot".

No, really. Mac is the only one who sees how things really are. Well, him and Dale Smith, who thinks that Sandy Hook was an elaborate hoax.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink, Pompous Mac.

Sandy Hoax was a capstone DHS drill that was played out like it was a real time event and the Las Vegas shooting reeks of an Operation Gladio type operation and the official narrative is falling down around their heads. It's not my problem that you are as blind as a bat with tunnel vision.....I can't help you with that.

Sandy Hoax was a capstone DHS drill that was played out like it was a real time event and the Las Vegas shooting reeks of an Operation Gladio type operation and the official narrative is falling down around their heads. It's not my problem that you are as blind as a bat with tunnel vision.....I can't help you with that.

You're a crazy person. so you think that Las Vegas was fake too?

Okay, buddy, so what's more probable.

That THOUSANDS of people were involved in a DHS Drill and then pretended it was a real thing, and not a ONE of them said, 'Na, man, we were just faking!"

Or one crazy person with a gun just started shooting people.

Occam's razor, buddy. Occam's Razor.

You need to take your medication like the nice doctor says. Then the Lizard People will disappear.

A wonderful try, but it won't matter.

This isn't about the kids or what's best for them.

This is about the Regressives turning our kids into the same intellectual/ideological robots that they are.

Yes, because Pompous Mac is the free thinker, and anyone who disagrees with him is a "robot".

No, really. Mac is the only one who sees how things really are. Well, him and Dale Smith, who thinks that Sandy Hook was an elaborate hoax.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink, Pompous Mac.

Stop it, you insulting freak!

You're a crazy person. so you think that Las Vegas was fake too?

Okay, buddy, so what's more probable.

That THOUSANDS of people were involved in a DHS Drill and then pretended it was a real thing, and not a ONE of them said, 'Na, man, we were just faking!"

Or one crazy person with a gun just started shooting people.

Occam's razor, buddy. Occam's Razor.

You need to take your medication like the nice doctor says. Then the Lizard People will disappear.

Nope, I am saying that there was more than one shooter and "da gubermint" is lying their asses off.......THAT is what I am saying.

Occam's razor can apply to this as well. Rogue elements within the shadow government is using Operation Gladio type attacks to frighten the sheeple into accepting more draconian survellience legislation while slowly eroding the protections provided by the second amendment.

Thousands of people were not involved with Sandy Hoax, btw.......

Forum List

Back