The politics of net racism

I don't know why YOU feel that way. But who is this we? Republicans?

No, 'we' = society. A lot of the problems in black communities can be - with research - laid at the door of liberal policies of 'caring' for blacks instead of providing them with the same expectations as whites. Simply put, society does not view blacks as equal, but as a 'special group' to be 'cared for'. They should not be 'cared for', they are not 'special', they are just people - like us - nothing more, nothing less.

Try not to be an ass all your life.
Poor white people also get the same amount of help. More than likely it is the tendency of poor blacks to be confined to certain areas because many people don't like black people being in their neighborhoods. :eusa_whistle:

I lived in a poor southern town that was nearly all white and consisted of a lot of welfare recipients. Their education was bottom of the barrel and self expectations were very low. So maybe there is a correlation between the welfare state and this type of lazy acceptance of handouts.

No, 'we' = society. A lot of the problems in black communities can be - with research - laid at the door of liberal policies of 'caring' for blacks instead of providing them with the same expectations as whites. Simply put, society does not view blacks as equal, but as a 'special group' to be 'cared for'. They should not be 'cared for', they are not 'special', they are just people - like us - nothing more, nothing less.

Poor white people also get the same amount of help. More than likely it is the tendency of poor blacks to be confined to certain areas because many people don't like black people being in their neighborhoods. :eusa_whistle:

Do you think there are any cases of black people not wanting to live in white neighborhoods?

Which is no different to Italians, Irish, and any other types. It's not about their skin color, Ravi. Seriously, see past the skin.

I lived in a poor southern town that was nearly all white and consisted of a lot of welfare recipients. Their education was bottom of the barrel and self expectations were very low. So maybe there is a correlation between the welfare state and this type of lazy acceptance of handouts.

Certainly, in many countries in Europe - where they have been far more 'generous' with welfare - research is now pointing towards 'state handouts' having a detrimental effect on people's long term progression. When you have parents who have brought their kids up on state hand outs, the kids see no stigma with living that way. They in turn, bring their kids up on welfare and it becomes a way of life, not a short term helping hand.

The Brit Government is reviewing its whole attitude towards 'welfare' because there is a huge amount of research that says it is very bad long term.

Firstly, how much racism have you noticed on this board, and do you find it disturbing?
NONE at all and assuming that there is, racism is always disturbing to one who is not.

Secondly, is it part of any kind of trend?
No, just the God given right to differ in opinions

Lastly, why do people seem to be more racist online than offline?
They aren't. That's assuming that there is racism on this board. If a racist; always a racist.

"Racism is not about how you look, it is about how people assign meaning to how you look." Robin D.G. Kelley

Sodafin, please recognize that the right wing in the US is extremely authoritarian, thus the replies I read above. If you question them they can only react.

Americans refuse to see their racism or to admit it. What you hear from them is a rationalization of why they feel the way they do or why Blacks are in the particular position they occupy in America. I wrote a bit of satire on this during the election see here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/race-relations-racism/61091-life-in-a-parallel-universe.html

Most of the posters on USMB are not your hardcore racists, I think their educational levels and whatnot prevent that. But I find often that it is only in action and serious conversation that racism shows its head. Especially in stereotypes which I hear often. My post above presented a few to me as they considered the parallel universe more real. lol

Not sure of trends except the election of a man of mixed parentage has the intolerant a bit crazy. The changing demographics in America has many racist types going off the deep end, but that's been going on since the Civil war and later with LBJ.

Online you can hide your face. Person to person racism is much harder. And let's face it there are people who hate sunny days so there is never going to be a way to eliminate those who define themselves by race. Humans haven't evolved far away enough from our primitive past.

================================

"University of Connecticut professor Jack Dovidio, who has researched racism for more than 30 years, estimates up to 80 percent of white Americans have racist feelings they may not even recognize.

"We've reached a point that racism is like a virus that has mutated into a new form that we don't recognize," Dovidio said.

He added that 21st-century racism is different from that of the past.

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

That "stealth" discrimination reveals itself in many different situations."

Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others - CNN.com

Race Relations - By Category

Tim Wise: Of National Lies and Racial America

examples. "Interpersonal racial attitudes continue to moderate. More than eight-in-ten (83%) agree that "it's all right for blacks and whites to date," up six percentage points since 2003 and 13 points from a Pew survey conducted 10 years ago."

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin

There very well could be. But it isn't because of race, as a few on this thread are implying.

I'm researching and writing a story (I'm a journo, btw) about racism on the internet, and would like some comments from users and moderators about racism.

Firstly, how much racism have you noticed on this board, and do you find it disturbing?

Thanks!

I find that blacks are far more racist than whites, not only on message boards but in their everday life. Do I find it disturbing? No I find it sad.

I agree with you. The really interesting part is why do they have these attitudes? I suspect, if we researched it, we'd find the answers in the liberal policies that didn't treat them as 'equal' at all - it treated them as 'special'. Society taught them they were a special case rather than teaching blacks that they have the same rights, responsibilities and opportunities as everyone else.

It is our fault, as a society.... and I include blacks in that.

The liberals have for years worked to keep blacks depending on the govt. to support them. IMO

I find that blacks are far more racist than whites, not only on message boards but in their everday life. Do I find it disturbing? No I find it sad.

I agree with you. The really interesting part is why do they have these attitudes? I suspect, if we researched it, we'd find the answers in the liberal policies that didn't treat them as 'equal' at all - it treated them as 'special'. Society taught them they were a special case rather than teaching blacks that they have the same rights, responsibilities and opportunities as everyone else.

It is our fault, as a society.... and I include blacks in that.

The liberals have for years worked to keep blacks depending on the govt. to support them. IMO

I've always been prepared to cut Government (both sides) some slack as to whether it was deliberate or just well intentioned ignorance but, whatever the reason, the outcome has been very bad for black Americans.

I'm researching and writing a story (I'm a journo, btw) about racism on the internet, and would like some comments from users and moderators about racism.

Thanks!

Gee, Sodafin, sounds like you've made up your mind about what you're going to write before you even write it. Therefore, I totally believe that you're a journalist.

This thread has nothing at all to do with Obama, healthare, or reactions to Obama, so if we can stay on topic, that would be cool.

In case you haven't noticed this forum has nothing to do with racism either. It has to do with politics which are all things related to the government and its powers. What people think of another person's race has nothing to do with government power.

Then Why is there a Forum Titled Race/Racism?

Thanks!

I find very little racism on this board, and what little I find, seems to simply be ignored because the subject has been cussed and discussed so often that it has become boring.

No, I don't think racism is a trend, on or offline. It is a form of ignorance that is still quite alive, but dieing off at an increasingly quick rate.

They are less inhibited about everything: in normal conversation we repress certain subjects: Sex, politics, and religion, because they may offend our audience. Online, there are no negative consequences.

New Topics

Forum List

Back