The politics of net racism

This place is overrun with overt racists.

I don't say that as an insult because they are proud of it.

If you had said passive rather than overt I would probably agree. I think the board reflects society fairly well actually.

Most people are not all out racist, they just don't want the problems that come about when neighborhoods become predominantly black.

I strongly disagree with the Obamacare bill. I think Obama is a disaster in foreign relations and on Defense. I think Obama is growing an already huge and inefficient government into a huger and more inefficient government. I must be a racist.
Interesting. Questions asked about racism and you immediately bring up Obama. :eusa_eh:

Indeed - I think it says a lot more about Si Modo's fixation with Obama than anything else.

When I started writing this post it didn't even occur to me Obama's name would come up, either for or against.

But still - anyone care to answer the questions?

I strongly disagree with the Obamacare bill. I think Obama is a disaster in foreign relations and on Defense. I think Obama is growing an already huge and inefficient government into a huger and more inefficient government. I must be a racist.
Interesting. Questions asked about racism and you immediately bring up Obama. :eusa_eh:

Indeed - I think it says a lot more about Si Modo's fixation with Obama than anything else.

When I started writing this post it didn't even occur to me Obama's name would come up, either for or against.

But still - anyone care to answer the questions?
Whining still? Yeah, when a thread is in the Politics forum, it's sort of funny how Obama comes to my mind. Odd, huh?

But you go on 'ignoring' any reference to Obama when racism is discussed, mkay? :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, when a thread is in the Politics forum, it's sort of funny how Obama comes to my mind. Odd, huh?

But you go on 'ignoring' any reference to Obama when racism is discussed, mkay? :lol:

Firstly, yes it is very odd. There are 206 countries in the world, and we have a good 3,000 years of recorded history to consider - why you automatically associate EVERY politics discussion with your own country and your own time suggests an extremely limited perspective.

Racism today is as much about immigration politics in Europe, about tribalism in Africa, about post-colonial issues in Asia and Oceania or anti-semitism all over the world as it is about Obama.

Secondly, I'll ignore any post on this thread which does not relate to the topic, thanks.

Yeah, when a thread is in the Politics forum, it's sort of funny how Obama comes to my mind. Odd, huh?

Firstly, yes it is very odd. There are 206 countries in the world, and we have a good 3,000 years of recorded history to consider - why you automatically associate EVERY politics discussion with your own country ....
Yes, I am an odd one. On a site called USMessageboard I discuss politics in the US. :lol:

Secondly, I'll ignore any post on this thread which does not relate to the topic, thanks.
Riiiiight. I've heard that before from you. :lol:

If you had said passive rather than overt I would probably agree. I think the board reflects society fairly well actually.

Most people are not all out racist, they just don't want the problems that come about when neighborhoods become predominantly black.

That's not racism. It would be racist if it was without foundation.

Interesting

I'm researching and writing a story (I'm a journo, btw) about racism on the internet, and would like some comments from users and moderators about racism.

Firstly, how much racism have you noticed on this board, and do you find it disturbing?

Secondly, is it part of any kind of trend?

Lastly, why do people seem to be more racist online than offline?

Thanks!

If you're a journalist, why aren't you asking the right questions?

Interesting

Whats not true about her statement? Is it NOT a fact that when a Neighborhood becomes predominately black that housing prices drop there? Crime rates increase? Are those not the problems you were referring to?

Hee hee.

Hee hee.
Good then it's settled once and for all. The topics, 'Obama" and 'racism', are unrelated.

Finallly. :thup:

Interesting

It's fact. You are welcome to check those facts with independent sources. That is the problem with racism. Facts are inconvenient. That doesn't make me a racist, it makes me able to see beyond race and just stand on facts.

Question is, why is it that there is so much more crime etc in black neighborhoods. Likely answer - poverty and decades of well intentioned pandering. We do not expect black people to achieve - why not? They should. They are as capable as anyone else. Instead, we educate them to expect less than others. We really need to address honestly the causes and stop pretending that anyone who is honest is racist.

I'm researching and writing a story (I'm a journo, btw) about racism on the internet, and would like some comments from users and moderators about racism.

Firstly, how much racism have you noticed on this board, and do you find it disturbing?

Thanks!

If you are defining racism to mean that one race is superior to another, I see a lot of it here. For instance, there are many threads about "illegal aliens" committing horrors that turn out to be untrue...and the reason given is usually tied to the person's ethnic group. And most of these threads are about Mexicans. Just yesterday froggy posted a thread about a girl with a Spanish last name and called her a Mex without even knowing what her heritage was...:cuckoo: And mal goes out of his way to post things that show blacks in a bad light...makes one wonder. :eusa_eh: Then there are quite a few that believe, or say they believe, that black people are genetically less intelligent than white people. We also have a couple of black men that are quite racist against white people.

I don't think it's part of a trend but it does seem that people are more vocal about it because politicians and certain members of the media (for example Lou Dobbs) like to use issues of race to get people angry.

As to why people seem more racist online...it's easier to say what you want without being shunned by your friends and coworkers when you are anonymous.

A lot of this is politically motivated...politicians get votes if they appeal to these kinds of dark thoughts.

Interesting

It's fact. You are welcome to check those facts with independent sources. That is the problem with racism. Facts are inconvenient. That doesn't make me a racist, it makes me able to see beyond race and just stand on facts.

Question is, why is it that there is so much more crime etc in black neighborhoods. Likely answer - poverty and decades of well intentioned pandering. We do not expect black people to achieve - why not? They should. They are as capable as anyone else. Instead, we educate them to expect less than others. We really need to address honestly the causes and stop pretending that anyone who is honest is racist.
I don't know why YOU feel that way. But who is this we? Republicans?

If you are defining racism to mean that one race is superior to another, I see a lot of it here. For instance, there are many threads about "illegal aliens" committing horrors that turn out to be untrue...and the reason given is usually tied to the person's ethnic group. And most of these threads are about Mexicans. Just yesterday froggy posted a thread about a girl with a Spanish last name and called her a Mex without even knowing what her heritage was...:cuckoo: And mal goes out of his way to post things that show blacks in a bad light...makes one wonder. :eusa_eh: Then there are quite a few that believe, or say they believe, that black people are genetically less intelligent than white people. We also have a couple of black men that are quite racist against white people.

I don't think it's part of a trend but it does seem that people are more vocal about it because politicians and certain members of the media (for example Lou Dobbs) like to use issues of race to get people angry.

As to why people seem more racist online...it's easier to say what you want without being shunned by your friends and coworkers when you are anonymous.

A lot of this is politically motivated...politicians get votes if they appeal to these kinds of dark thoughts.

Thanks Ravi - those are useful thoughts.

I think a lot of internet racism is quite subtle - as you say endless threads about illegal immigation are one thing - constantly linking illegal immigration with Hispanics only, and then with crime, is another entirely.

California Girl -

Because I am not writing the story you would suggest I write, but the story my editor suggested I write.

I am not writing definitons of racism, nor about various manifestations of racism, nor about Obama and racism - all of which could be stories of their own but have little to do with this one. My story is about internet racism, patterns associated with it, why it happens and whether people are concerned about it spreading or becoming more refined.

Thanks!

I find that blacks are far more racist than whites, not only on message boards but in their everday life. Do I find it disturbing? No I find it sad.

Interesting

No, 'we' = society. A lot of the problems in black communities can be - with research - laid at the door of liberal policies of 'caring' for blacks instead of providing them with the same expectations as whites. Simply put, society does not view blacks as equal, but as a 'special group' to be 'cared for'. They should not be 'cared for', they are not 'special', they are just people - like us - nothing more, nothing less.

Try not to be an ass all your life.

Thanks!

I find that blacks are far more racist than whites, not only on message boards but in their everday life. Do I find it disturbing? No I find it sad.

I agree with you. The really interesting part is why do they have these attitudes? I suspect, if we researched it, we'd find the answers in the liberal policies that didn't treat them as 'equal' at all - it treated them as 'special'. Society taught them they were a special case rather than teaching blacks that they have the same rights, responsibilities and opportunities as everyone else.

It is our fault, as a society.... and I include blacks in that.

No, 'we' = society. A lot of the problems in black communities can be - with research - laid at the door of liberal policies of 'caring' for blacks instead of providing them with the same expectations as whites. Simply put, society does not view blacks as equal, but as a 'special group' to be 'cared for'. They should not be 'cared for', they are not 'special', they are just people - like us - nothing more, nothing less.

Try not to be an ass all your life.
Poor white people also get the same amount of help. More than likely it is the tendency of poor blacks to be confined to certain areas because many people don't like black people being in their neighborhoods. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back