The Poisoning of Flint, MI.

Trying to save money. Terrible plan, terrible choice...saving money. Stupid plan when it comes to water...saving money.

And why are they trying to save a few bucks??? You can bet it it is overly generous pension plans for government workers, most cities will be in the same boat real soon. After years of giving the house to the public unions while the infrastructure is being ignored is taking its toll. And now that government regulations and China and illegal immigrant labor has decimated the middle class now the tax base is gone. What do you liberals expect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A republican saw a cheaper price tag, bought it, ignored the health problems that resulted, blew up in his face, he apologized (sort of), and nothing will happen to anyone who endangered the society.

Basically the same thing that happened in Texas with Blue Bell, West Virginia with the Elk River poisoning, Bush and TARP, etc... Follow a republican around long enough, disaster will happen.

Is this true? It's the first time I've seen this claim.

Republicans Ignore a Poisoned City

http://www.nytimes.com/

But the Republicans were never there, until 2011, that is, when the first of four state-appointed emergency managers was brought in by the Snyder administration to address the city’s financial woes. The water switch was intended to save $5 million over two years. But even after residents complained about the water, and even after the City Council voted to switch back to Detroit for its water, the Snyder-appointed manager said no.

I admit...haven't read up on this much so I don't know. I've seen it's becoming a major political hot potato.

Some links please to clarify if you have them to things I've heard:

1. Who decided to switch the water supply....the governor or the city manager?
2. Is the water poisoned from the source or did the lead pipes corrode and thus cause the contamination? 2b. Was there any water treatment to make is safe that was skipped?

Everything you post is drenched in dishonesty.

The Environmental Protection Agency’s top Midwest official is resigning over the Flint water crisis, the agency announced Thursday, amid criticism over the agency’s alleged inaction in preventing the city’s water from being contaminated with lead.

Region 5 administrator Susan Hedman offered her resignation and will leave in February after it was accepted by Administrator Gina McCarthy, the EPA said in a statement.

Hedman, the EPA’s top Midwest official, had previously told The Detroit News the agency knew about the lack of corrosion control in the water supply as early as April, after an EPA official identified problems with the drinking water, but did not make the information public.

The resignation comes just two days after the EPA admitted its response to the crisis was too slow.

"Our first priority is to make sure the water in Flint is safe, but we also must look at what the agency could have done differently," the agency said in a statement Tuesday. An EPA spokeswoman confirmed the agency believed it did not act fast enough to address the problem, according to Reuters.

The EPA said that McCarthy sent Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder a letter issing a Safe Drinking Water Act Emergency Order, which requires the city and state of Michigan to take a series of "immediate steps" to address the drinking water contamination in Flint.

"EPA has determined the State of Michigan and the City of Flint’s responses to the drinking water crisis in Flint have been inadequate to protect public health, there are serious, ongoing concerns with delays, lack of adequate transparency, and capacity to safely manage the drinking water system," the agency said in a statement.

Flint's water became contaminated with lead when the city switched its water source in 2014 as a cost-cutting measure while the city was under state financial management. The Flint River water was not properly treated to keep lead from pipes from leaching into the supply. Elevated blood-lead levels were found in two city zip codes.

The community about 75 miles north of Detroit, has about 100,000 residents, with about 40 percent of them living below the poverty line. The population is nearly 60 percent black.

Republican Governor Rick Snyder, who has faced fierce criticism for his role in the crisis, apologized in December and Michigan's top environmental regulator, Dan Wyant, resigned after a task force created by Snyder blamed problems on his agency.

The group said the Department of Environmental Quality erred by not requiring Flint to keep corrosive water from leaching lead from service pipes into residents' homes and belittling concerns from the public.

The lead — which can lead to behavior problems and learning disabilities in children and kidney ailments in adults — has left Flint residents unable to drink unfiltered tap water. The National Guard, state employees, local authorities and volunteers have been distributing lead tests, filters and bottled water. Snyder aides pledged that by the end of the week, officials would visit every household in Flint to ensure they have water filters.

President Obama, meanwhile, designated Flint a federal emergency on Saturday but has refused Snyder’s request to designate it a disaster zone as it is a man-made incident.

Flint Mayor Karen Weaver refused to call for Snyder's resignation while at a U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting in Washington, D.C., saying investigations should go forward. She said she wants Snyder to give Flint the services and the money needed to address the problem.

"People have said how they want things handled with him," Weaver said Wednesday. "I'm staying focused on what I need to get from him right now."

The U.S. Justice Department is helping the Environmental Protection Agency to investigate, and GOP state Attorney General Bill Schuette has opened his own probe.

The agency said that McCarthy has sent a memo to all staff instating a formal policy, effective immediately, on elevation of critical public health issues, while also requesting the EPA's Office of Inspector General conduct an evaluation of the region's public water system supervision program under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Top EPA official resigns over Flint's toxic water crisis | Fox News

The state did need smaller budgets....due to union deals bankrupting the state.

Over the past few weeks, Rachel Maddow has been covering the water situation in Flint, MI.

Snyder admin allowed Flint to drink toxic water despite warnings

Rick Snyder administration in Michigan new about reports of the toxicity of Flint's water while the town continued to drink it, resulting in the lead poisoning of some residents, including children, and even rejected Flint's democratically elected council's vote to change water sources.

Yes, they are videos but I highly recommend watching them. What the governor's office did borders on criminal negligence. They intentionally ignored warnings and tried to discredit those that came forward.

Children of Flint will have permanent damage from the lead poisoning caused by his gross negligence.

No one in the Governor's office ignored any warnings. He was lied to as well by the Michigan Health Department. Just as the Flint City Council was lied to. Just as the people were lied to.

He's the Governor of the state...the state that did this:
State failed to sound alarm when it knew of rising Flint blood lead levels

State Knew About Blood Levels

Michigan Ignored 'Conclusive Evidence' Of Flint Lead Poisoning, Researcher Says

Just think how much goodwill toward the Republican party would have generated had the Gov jumped all over this problem as soon at he became aware.

Most people of Flint would have loved him had he stood up for them.

Instead all they got was an excuse, some blame and a lame ass apology.

Stupid Republicans.
The Gov is evidently a moron. And who was the black person who immediately galvanized the community to refuse to pay their water bill upon first sight of the sewage being produced? Think that would have gotten attention?

Just think how much goodwill toward the Republican party would have generated had the Gov jumped all over this problem as soon at he became aware.

Most people of Flint would have loved him had he stood up for them.

Instead all they got was an excuse, some blame and a lame ass apology.

Stupid Republicans.
The Gov is evidently a moron. And who was the black person who immediately galvanized the community to refuse to pay their water bill upon first sight of the sewage being produced? Think that would have gotten attention?
Could be he is a moron, for thinking the government bureaucracy is competent.

Last edited:
Well, now, where was the liberal outrage when the EPA caused two toxic spills in the space of three months in Colorado last year? Funny, but I don't remember any liberal threads bashing the EPA for gross incompetence and criminal negligence.

That being said, I agree that the Flint water contamination is inexcusable and that those state and local officials who ignored the EPA warnings should face serious consequences for failing to heed the warnings and for failing to warn the people.

Well, now, where was the liberal outrage when the EPA caused two toxic spills in the space of three months in Colorado last year? Funny, but I don't remember any liberal threads bashing the EPA for gross incompetence and criminal negligence.

That being said, I agree that the Flint water contamination is inexcusable and that those state and local officials who ignored the EPA warnings should face serious consequences for failing to heed the warnings and for failing to warn the people.
Good example of how the D party, left wing organizations, and the MSM dupe their followers. One would think they would catch on to the partisan propaganda, but they never do.

The elites must laugh at how easy it is to dupe D voters.

Sounds more like incompetance rather than malice to me, a good example of the Peter Principle - is what happens when ya put lib'rals in charge...

Erin Brockovich on the Flint water crisis
January 21, 2016 - Brockovich: Criminal charges for Flint crisis
Consumer advocate and environmental activist Erin Brockovich joined Yahoo News and Finance Anchor Bianna Golodryga on “Yahoo News Live” to discuss the ongoing water crisis in Flint, Mich. She discussed the causes of the crisis, the accountability of state officials and how this is a national problem. Brockovich explained the cause of Flint’s crisis and why the city switched from Lake Huron to the Flint River. She told Golodryga, “Because the city was in bankruptcy, there was an appointed emergency city water manager who decided to save a buck and the governor agreed. They made the switch, added the chloramines that caused all this lead to leach out, and nobody disclosed anything to the residents.”

She said that state officials did not know how to properly get water to Flint. “I don’t think they necessarily knew what they were doing, which can be very scary. You know water quality is chemistry. You need to know what you’re doing and you need be able to say, you know, this is not in my sphere or scope of understanding and rely on somebody to do that. That’s why I really have to look at this emergency water manager that was in place, because we actually provided them a report and a protocol on what to do to avoid this and how to treat the water.” She continued, “It’s frightening to think that we step in as an agency and we don’t know what we’re doing with water quality, and the outcome would be the risk and to jeopardize so many people.”

Brockovich had already called on Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder to resign. On “Yahoo News Live” she went further to suggest criminal charges should be considered: “They created this mess and they can’t continue to hide behind it. This is where the residents have every right, and I stand with the residents, to be absolutely furious. This lack of transparency, this deception that cost them their health, their children’s health, potentially for life, is inexcusable. We should be looking at criminal charges. This is why they want [Snyder] to step down. As long as he’s going to continue to be in office, you’ve got to stop hiding behind the story.” She continued, “You can’t change what he’s done, but begin to correct it moving forward so they have a safer, broader solution. This isn’t going to go away overnight.”

MORE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back