The Pitch Clock

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
Seems to be good for baseball.. faster pace, less BS. Now all we need are laser strike zones and I might return to watching.

Laser strike zones would need to be adjusted for each batter. Do you think that would work?
No you update the rule book. The NBA hoop is 10 ft, same circumference for players of all heights. If you want to play baseball, every batter should have the same strike zone.

The only new baseball rule I don't like is the "throws to first" limit of 3. And the third throw MUST result in an out or the runner advances which means it's essentially a limit of 2 throws to first. I think that gives too much advantage to the runner.

That would require changing the rules for Little League. and all other forms of baseball. Not possible.
Absolutely possible. Sports change their rules all the time
1. NBA added the 3 pointer
2. MLB lowered the mound
3. NBA moved the 3 point line in, then back out

Why is it not possible?

Those baseball organizations cannot afford lasers!
LMAO!

Once you make it to the big leagues, you have to play by big league rules.

You're so inflexible and rigid. Tennis players in high school call the lines themselves.. the pros have hawkeye technology. It would be normal, stop being so sensitive.

Absolutely possible. Sports change their rules all the time
1. NBA added the 3 pointer
2. MLB lowered the mound
3. NBA moved the 3 point line in, then back out

Why is it not possible?

Apples and oranges.....
You cant apply the same strike zone to all players. Where would that leave short players like Altuve and tall players like Sean Hjelle?
Thats puts them at a disadvantage over average size players.
If it were possible to electronically record every players height and use the appropriate strike zone I could see it.
Until they're ready to do that it wont work.

No you update the rule book. The NBA hoop is 10 ft, same circumference for players of all heights. If you want to play baseball, every batter should have the same strike zone.
Aaron Judge and Jose Altuve have the same strike zone?

1680402013433.jpeg

You would also all but eliminate the stolen base with robo umps.

The only new baseball rule I don't like is the "throws to first" limit of 3. And the third throw MUST result in an out or the runner advances which means it's essentially a limit of 2 throws to first. I think that gives too much advantage to the runner.
I dont know? That third one available means they cant just get a 20 ft lead. Kind of interesting?

Aaron Judge and Jose Altuve have the same strike zone?
Absolutely, just as Mugsey Bogues (5’3”) and Manute Bol (7’7”) both played on a 10 ft hoop that has a diameter of 18 inches.
You would also all but eliminate the stolen base with robo umps.
How? An ump would still be behind the plate, but balls and strikes are laser grid. Tennis has used it for decades and it works fine.

That would require changing the rules for Little League. and all other forms of baseball. Not possible.
LL doesn’t currently play by MLB rules anyway. You can’t lead off of steal bases until after the ball crosses the plate. They play on a small field. It’s also not top tier baseball at that age anyway. It’s top tier rec league baseball I guess but otherwise it’s pretty shit baseball honestly.

Banning the shift takes away strategy. Put 5 guys in the RF corner. I dont care. Up to the hitter to overcome.

3 batter rule to relief takes away strategy also.

Do they ban the blitz in football? The prevent? Six DB? Zone is legal in NCAABB correct?

Absolutely, just as Mugsey Bogues (5’3”) and Manute Bol (7’7”) both played on a 10 ft hoop that has a diameter of 18 inches.

How? An ump would still be behind the plate, but balls and strikes are laser grid. Tennis has used it for decades and it works fine.

Again..apples and oranges.
Putting a ball through a hoop has nothing to do with a players height.

Not sure if you are aware of this but baseball and basketball aren’t the same sport. The physics of swinging a bat don’t allow for it. There’s a reason the strike zone is what it is.
If the catcher doesn’t have to frame pitches, or worry about staying out of the way of the ump throwing guys out would be exceedingly easy. The catcher would t have to crouch half the time. Pop times are already sub 2 in the MLB.

Forum List

Back