The Patriot Act Just Made Rand Paul GOP Enemy No. 1

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I thought Republicans were all about 'freeeedom' and keeping government out of people's lives?
4i6Ckte.gif

Among many of his Republican colleagues, Sen. Rand Paul is, for now, enemy number one.

The Patriot Act is (at least temporarily) dead, and his fellow Republicans are blaming the Kentucky senator for the problem.He is grandstanding for political purposes, they say—and endangering national security in the process.

For a major Republican presidential candidate, Paul has certainly alienated a lot of Republicans—especially hawks who believe in strong surveillance authorities for the intelligence community. Or, you might think, Paul has carved out a unique segment in the GOP field.

At midnight on Monday, three major surveillance provisions contained within thePatriot Act expired. Paul took procedural steps to block any faster consideration of the USA Freedom Act, which would have continued but reformed those provisions.

“I don’t stand with Rand,” Republican Sen. Mark Kirk told The Daily Beast, flipping Paul’s campaign slogan. “I disagree with him. I think we should not allow the program to be interrupted.”

There is nothing, and there has never been anything, patriotic about the Patriot Act.

On NSA spying:

"That capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything: telephone conversations, telegrams, it doesn’t matter. There would be no place to hide.

If a dictator ever took over, the NSA could enable [him] to impose total tyranny, and there would be no way to fight back." -Senator Frank Church, 1975

1975, Forty years ago... Imagine all that they can do today... Imagine all that they do today...

I thought Republicans were all about 'freeeedom' and keeping government out of people's lives?
4i6Ckte.gif

Among many of his Republican colleagues, Sen. Rand Paul is, for now, enemy number one.

The Patriot Act is (at least temporarily) dead, and his fellow Republicans are blaming the Kentucky senator for the problem.He is grandstanding for political purposes, they say—and endangering national security in the process.

For a major Republican presidential candidate, Paul has certainly alienated a lot of Republicans—especially hawks who believe in strong surveillance authorities for the intelligence community. Or, you might think, Paul has carved out a unique segment in the GOP field.

At midnight on Monday, three major surveillance provisions contained within thePatriot Act expired. Paul took procedural steps to block any faster consideration of the USA Freedom Act, which would have continued but reformed those provisions.

“I don’t stand with Rand,” Republican Sen. Mark Kirk told The Daily Beast, flipping Paul’s campaign slogan. “I disagree with him. I think we should not allow the program to be interrupted.”

Prominent Americans have recognized that Americans are stupid, ie supreme court justice James Clark McReynolds (1944) ; Obama administration Bureaucrat Jonathan Gruber 2014.

So Americans do not know that demanding that the US cease and desist intervening in the internal affairs of other nations is the BEST way to protect US national security.

The republicans are just playing politics. As far as I'm concerned this is the best thing Rand Paul has done.

I'm proud of him. I wish more of our so called representatives would stand up for our freedoms in the face of these police surveillance state powers. Of course if they actually cared, the Patriot Act would never have been passed in the first place.

I'm proud of him. I wish more of our so called representatives would stand up for our freedoms in the face of these police surveillance state powers. Of course if they actually cared, the Patriot Act would never have been passed in the first place.

And subsequently renewed...

But getting a President to give up power, whether grabbed for by himself or grandfathered in by a previous administration, is a pipe dream...

The republicans are just playing politics. As far as I'm concerned this is the best thing Rand Paul has done.

Most voters will say : so what....They know that limiting the "Patriot" Act will not

1- feed them
2- clothe them
3- insure them
4- educate them up to community college
5- quench their thirst

As much of an idiot I think Paul is, on this subject we are in agreement.

There are reasons that politicians put expiration dates on things. They know they are limiting and only want to let them exist for a limited time, not be permanent.

As much as I oppose most of Paul's positions, I respect what he did to end the disgraceful Patriot Act

Wish other politicians had his balls

Most voters will say : so what....They know that limiting the "Patriot" Act will not

1- feed them
2- clothe them
3- insure them
4- educate them up to community college
5- quench their thirst

Able bodied men and women should be doing these things for themselves.

I applaud Rand Paul. I disagree with him on so many things, but he had the stones to pull this off. :clap:
It's not only Paul. Ron Wyden stood up for privacy just as much.
Ron who?
Obama railed for passage of the Patriot Act, signed its renewal into law as well. Paul is chief enemy of the Democrats.
As usual, you're a moron. You don't even know who Ron Wyden is.

And Ayn Rand Paul is not even close to the chief enemy of the Democrats. Not while the idiot Canadian Cuban is still in elective office. Or the retard-looking Scott Walker.

Of course if the act is greatly diminished or done away with completely and there is another major terrorist attack inside the U.S. what is the first thing everyone will ask and demand an answer to? Why didn't we know more.

Of course if the act is greatly diminished or done away with completely and there is another major terrorist attack inside the U.S. what is the first thing everyone will ask and demand an answer to? Why didn't we know more.

Sorry, freedom comes before security.

ummm..... no.

Repubs are sold out to the highest bidder as is their M. O.. In this case- those associated w/ the security industrial complex AKA- The Big Brother State.

Sorry, freedom comes before security.
Contrary to the current popular belief you can have both but like almost everything else in the current climate people think it has to be an either or choice. The mark of true leadership is being able to find the proper balance between the two this is simply the latest example to show neither party has any real leaders.

Forum List

Back